Why do new people give up on Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
jpete
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by jpete »

Just to go back to the original post
3. Lack of technical expertise. Like it or not, most people do not know what a kernel, file system, etc. are. They don't understand that each time they click a mouse, there is a lot of code being executed. They just know that it "works". You think that they have ever heard of X Window, or DOS?
When I was first learning DOS (2.01) on a PCjr when I was 13 years old, the manual was an alphabetical listing of every command, with a list of all the suffixes and a short explanation of what they all did.

Is there a book like that for Linux? If so, I haven't been able to find it.
Jeff

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

jpete wrote: Is there a book like that for Linux? If so, I haven't been able to find it.
Open a terminal and type

Code: Select all

man man
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

jpete
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jpete »

Thanks but I was looking for something made from a tree. :D

I have to know a command exists before I can use "man" from the terminal and I don't know too many Linux commands.
Jeff

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

I've not read this myself, but looks like what you're talking about: The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction.

Some good (free, downloadable) books are listed under "Command Line Basics" section here: https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/tuto ... formation/.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Welly Wu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welly Wu »

I think the question that begs to be asked is why do we care if people give up on Linux in the first place? Different strokes for different folks I guess. In my very limited experience, I have found that most people will choose to use the computer that they are most comfortable with and they are highly resistant to changes. My parents and brother need to use Microsoft Windows 7 and 8.1. They don't plan to upgrade to Windows 10 unless their existing PCs break. Should we be encouraging them to upgrade to Windows 10 if their existing version still works and it doesn't cost them any more time or money? I think that people try GNU/Linux because they have no other choice available and they are not willing to spend their hard earned money to buy a new computer to fix a broken desktop operating system. My friend Robert W. and Veronica C. both used Microsoft Windows 7 until their desktop operating systems crashed because of user error on their parts (or sheer folly). I told them that they could buy a new PC or a new copy of Windows 7 and they balked at the idea of spending good money after bad. Veronica C. could not afford a new PC. So, I installed Ubuntu 14.04.x 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux on their PCs. By the way, I gave them their ASUS and System76 notebook PCs for free of charge along with Ubuntu. More importantly, I taught them how to use it and I held their hands through the learning phases. They still use GNU/Linux today. If someone else gives up on GNU/Linux, then so be it. No fuss and no muss and no tears shed by me. I don't get the GNU/Linux advocacy. It seems like screaming and shouting about something that is not designed to meet everybody's needs and usage case scenarios. Look, a vast majority of people need access to highly specialized hardware and software in order to do their jobs outside of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics. When I was in undergraduate school, I needed Microsoft Word and most of my classmates and my professors needed it too. When I was in graduate school, I was required to use Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit or else. This is reality folks. Microsoft Corporation still has not released Microsoft Office for GNU/Linux yet. There are tons of other smaller and more niche hardware and software products and services that are not available for GNU/Linux. Take the new 2015 Alienware 15 gaming notebook PC with the optional desktop graphics amplifier. That requires Microsoft Windows 8.1 64 bit. How are you going to tell a die hard PC gamer to switch to GNU/Linux on that? When the rubber hits the road, people drive their favorite operating system and it's usually supplied by the manufacturer of each device. Getting people to switch to GNU/Linux is usually not something that they considered or even heard about.

GNU/Linux is going places very slowly. It's like throwing bread crumbs to an old dog off of a table. That may sound harsh, but that has been my opinion and experience for many years. It's an organic and grass roots driven growth path rather than what happens for Microsoft or Apple customers.

Another good question that needs to be asked is what are you grateful for in GNU/Linux already? How is it meeting your needs now?

I already figured that one out myself. So have Veronica C. and Robert W. I have done my small part to spread the GNU/Linux love.

Welly Wu
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Welly Wu »

I also think that the major reason why people give up on GNU/Linux are due to several observations:

1. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.
2. Patience is a virtue
3. Practicing delayed gratification is a learned skill set
4. People are highly resistant to major changes in their lifestyles that cost them more time, money, and effort especially sweat
5. Instant gratification and disposable commodities rule the roost

GNU/Linux is not terribly difficult to learn how to use, but most people give up for one of these (or other unmentioned) reasons. Their existing Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh OS X PC isn't broken, so why risk it by trying GNU/Linux? Their favorite purchased hardware or software works, so why change it around? The hardest thing about GNU/Linux is learning the mindset. Changing people's expectations, assumptions, and forcing them to sit down to learn a new operating system can be very difficult because they are ingrained with their old mindset about how a PC should work. People get upset when a specific icon is changed or goes missing. Now, GNU/Linux users can't understand why people give up on it? It takes several long years to master the terminal commands and using the terminal is required to troubleshoot highly localized technical issues (of which most people have no idea what is going on in a GNU/Linux environment to begin with so they call their family members, relatives, or friends for help). Mastering GNU/Linux takes much longer with each new learned skill at using specific free, libre, open source software application at a time until they are comfortable with it. Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh OS X meet their existing needs uniquely while GNU/Linux forces them to adapt to find appropriate replacements; this is time confusing and daunting for new GNU/Linux users. People give up on GNU/Linux and they buy a new Windows or Mac PC and that's it. End of story for GNU/Linux. They tried. They failed. They bought a new PC and it ain't GNU/Linux for sure. Wash, lather, rinse, repeat.

jpete
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jpete »

Most people can't have the "delayed gratification" of having things like printers, scanners, and wireless not working.

I tried Mint previously and spent A LOT of time trying to get the wireless to work. Lots of help here and elsewhere and never an answer.

Now I'm back but this time, I installed it on my laptop to work the bugs out before I unleash it on the family computer. :)

Still trying to get some things to work, but I have the delayed gratification skill to make it though this time.
Jeff

Return to “Chat about Linux”