Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Vladimir00 »

RollyShed wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:39 pm
Vladimir00 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 am
You don't need to know much about computers to use Linux . You just need to know how to use Google :D
Learn to use terminal very simple (you just need to remember a few words) .
Learn to use the Terminal? Why?
Knowing how to use the terminal can be very useful in different situations. For example when you have a lot of updates. The fastest and safest way to update is using the command:sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:19 pm
Knowing how to use the terminal can be very useful in different situations. For example when you have a lot of updates. The fastest and safest way to update is using the command:sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
Is there a problem with using the Updates icon on the Panel? How many do? How many don't?
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Vladimir00 wrote:
For example when you have a lot of updates. The fastest and safest way to update is using the command:sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
Absolute, unmitigated FUD.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:25 pm
Vladimir00 wrote:
For example when you have a lot of updates. The fastest and safest way to update is using the command:sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
Thank you, just what I thought.

A user has a going system, it does the jobs they use a computer for. They have the programmes they need.

Why mess about with it? Why not just do as the majority of users of computers do, use it. Enthusiasts can fiddle with the Terminal, Users don't.

As I keep saying, a user whom Microsoft destroyed her system isn't going to use the Terminal, she is simply going to keep doing the things she uses a computer for and always has, decades of using one. It has the required programmes on it, what more is needed?
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:59 am
bob466 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:15 pm
Old Thread but still the same reason...they don't want to learn something different because it's too hard. Image
There's actually a lot of truth in that ... many were users who THOUGHT they were computer experts when they used Windows, in which you only think they were the administrator. WHen they try Linux, in which you really ARE the administrator, they're faced with the realization they know nothing about computers.
Most if not all Windoze users know two things...Playing Games and Surfing the Web but when it comes to actually doing something else like installing an OS or using a Terminal...they run back to Windoze because it's too hard. Image

The funny thing is...if they'd stuck with Linux they would soon realise...Linux is much easier than Windoze as it's all point and click now. No one has sat in front of a Windoze Computer for the first time and knew how to use it...they had to learn...just like Linux. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Vladimir00 wrote:
When i used Zorin i often get an error during a major update (now I don't remember what the error was).But when I used the command "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y" i never had problems updating.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:06 am
When i used Zorin i often get an error during a major update (now I don't remember what the error was).But when I used the command "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y" i never had problems updating.
Well, look on the bright side. You have at least one answer to the question in the subject header. That answer is because some people have one, single, solitary poor experience with some thing then extrapolate that one, single, solitary experience to every other similar thing. In one word or less, FUD.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:39 am
Vladimir00 wrote:
Well, look on the bright side. You have at least one answer to the question in the subject header. That answer is because some people have one, single, solitary poor experience with some thing then extrapolate that one, single, solitary experience to every other similar thing. In one word or less, FUD.
Your words many time are harsh but you most of the times are spot on.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Vladimir00 wrote:
Last month I had a problem playing videos in the Opera browser (this problem affects many users).I installed opera with snap . This solved the problem.I have not found any other easy way to solve this problem (I installed opera from the official site. But it didn't work for me to solve the video problem).Sometimes it's very helpful to be able to use the terminal :D
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Vladimir00 wrote:
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 am
Speaking and writing plainly gets me in to a lot of trouble :)
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:17 am
deepakdeshp wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 am
Speaking and writing plainly gets me in to a lot of trouble :)
You remind me of one of my elderly school teacher :D Maybe you're right.
MurphCID
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MurphCID »

Vladimir00 wrote:
RollyShed wrote:
Vladimir00 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:20 am
You don't need to know much about computers to use Linux . You just need to know how to use Google :D
Learn to use terminal very simple (you just need to remember a few words) .
I wife tried my Linux laptop once, and terminal was open, and I was trying to tell her how to do something, and I thought I was going to have to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and reboot her brain. She just vaporlocked on it.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

RollyShed wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:57 pm
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Vladimir00 wrote:
Thank you, just what I thought.

A user has a going system, it does the jobs they use a computer for. They have the programmes they need.

Why mess about with it? Why not just do as the majority of users of computers do, use it. Enthusiasts can fiddle with the Terminal, Users don't.

As I keep saying, a user whom Microsoft destroyed her system isn't going to use the Terminal, she is simply going to keep doing the things she uses a computer for and always has, decades of using one. It has the required programmes on it, what more is needed?
Linux Mint very stable OS.Therefore, I think the skills to use the terminal is not mandatory for users Linux Mint.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:23 am
Vladimir00 wrote:
RollyShed wrote:

I wife tried my Linux laptop once, and terminal was open, and I was trying to tell her how to do something, and I thought I was going to have to hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and reboot her brain. She just vaporlocked on it.
One day my mom (who understands practically nothing about computers).Was able to dial one command in a terminal on my computer :D
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:28 am
Linux Mint very stable OS.Therefore, I think the skills to use the terminal is not mandatory for users Linux Mint.
Generally, I would agree, yes. There is no need for newcomers to fear the terminal but some do. No doubt it comes from the eye-wateringly long commands they see around the place. On the other hand, the terminal is by far the quickest way for experienced users to assist newcomers. I think that some, possibly many, newcomers would give up any fear they had after visiting here and seeing how straightforward it was.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:58 am
You remind me of one of my elderly school teacher :D Maybe you're right.
Well, right or wrong, it certainly isn't personal.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:42 am
Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:28 am
No doubt it comes from the eye-wateringly long commands they see around the place.

You can copy useful commands into a text editor and place the text editor file on your desktop. Thus, when using the terminal, you will only need to copy the command to the terminal and enter the password . This saves a lot of time.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

It seems to be almost the longest thread on the forum. :D Discussions started in 2010 ! I think there is no point in discussing this topic further.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:50 am
It seems to be almost the longest thread on the forum. :D Discussions started in 2010 ! I think there is no point in discussing this topic further.
You're probably right, but I find it interesting that in 10 years not much has changed in regards to people's reaction to Linux. Yes, Linux has improved immensely. But people continue to not embrace it as their OS of choice. And that is okay. If people prefer a different OS, hey, that's their choice and I respect that. For us who choose Linux, that's fine also.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile

Return to “Chat about Linux”