Level 4
Level 4

Re: Why do new people give up on Linux?

Post by Vladimir00 »

Barbados99 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:04 am
Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:50 am
It seems to be almost the longest thread on the forum. :D Discussions started in 2010 ! I think there is no point in discussing this topic further.
If people prefer a different OS, hey, that's their choice and I respect that. For us who choose Linux, that's fine also.
I agree.Be different from 98-99 percent of other people using a computer it's good.It's good to be a unique person. :D
t42
Level 4
Level 4

Post by t42 »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:27 am
It's good to be a unique person
And why is that? Take Hitler or Stalin. So truly unique :|
-=t42=-
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

t42 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:57 am
Vladimir00 wrote:
I doubt that Hitler and Stalin were unique people.Their only unique feature is extreme cruelty.Extremely violent people are few.But that's only because very few people have truly absolute power over others.They did not have any positive unique features.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

t42 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:57 am
Vladimir00 wrote:
I meant "unique" in the positive sense of the word.In russian language the words "unique (уникальный)" usually has a positive meaning.
Last edited by Vladimir00 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Barbados99 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:04 am
Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:50 am
It seems to be almost the longest thread on the forum. :D Discussions started in 2010 ! I think there is no point in discussing this topic further.
If people prefer a different OS, hey, that's their choice and I respect that. For us who choose Linux, that's fine also.
I agree.Be different from 98-99 percent of other people using a computer it's good.It's good to be a unique person. :D
+1
I'm with you on this. My #1 reason for choosing Linux as my OS is that it best fits my needs/wants. It is so good to have a choice. We don't all have to drive the same color car. We don't all have to wear the same clothing style every day. We don't all have to eat the same food. It would be a pretty crappy world if we did not have some personal options for choices in life. And I really really really don't care what other people choose for THEIR operating system. I don't care that my distro of choice is not the most "popular" one with everyone else. Yeah, a lot of people don't choose Linux. Many give up on it even if they try it. LOL, that's okay. This isn't some "save the human race" type of issue that zealots should treat as if it were a religion or something. Let people choose. And be happy with your own choice. Or not.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
t42
Level 4
Level 4

Post by t42 »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:11 am
I meant "unique" in the positive sense of the word.In russian language the words "unique (уникальный)" usually has a positive meaning.
Are we talking in Russian already? Good to know :roll:
-=t42=-
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

t42 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:24 am
Vladimir00 wrote:
I do not known English .It helps me write in English google translate :D It usually works well. But unfortunately google translate cannot always accurately convey the meaning word.
t42
Level 4
Level 4

Post by t42 »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:31 am
But unfortunately google translate cannot always accurately convey the meaning word.
So to avoid misunderstandings here should we
A - improve Google Translate
B - get the A level in Russian
-=t42=-
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

t42 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:03 pm
Vladimir00 wrote:
But unfortunately google translate cannot always accurately convey the meaning word.
Google translate for today doesn't work perfectly.But overall ok.
You can read and understand this article with google translate ? :D
https://habr.com/ru/post/488064/
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:18 pm
t42 wrote:
Vladimir00 wrote:
For discussion google translate think need to create a separate topic :D (Maybe in the near future I will start a new topic about this)
In Topic "Why do new people give up on Linux?" i think everything useful has already been said that could be said (There are already 50 pages in this thread ! :D )
Therefore, I see no reason to write more in this thread.
Barbados99
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Barbados99 »

Vladimir00 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:18 pm
t42 wrote:
Vladimir00 wrote:
Google translate does a very good job. I used it for that article that you provided with the link. Google translate did a really good job translating it to English.
My homemade daily-driver:
Mint 20 XFCE - Mint 20 LMDE4 Cinnamon - EndeavourOS XFCE - EndeavourOS i3
Ryzen 5 3600 - GeForce GTX 1660 - BenQ 27"
1TB NVMe SSD - 32GB DDR4 - and a lot of old parts from the scrap pile
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I highly doubt Google Translate is the reason people give up on Linux. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

bob466 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:57 am
I highly doubt Google Translate is the reason people give up on Linux. Image
Yes it has nothing to do with this topic.I started writing about Google translate to clarify a one misunderstanding.
For discussion of Google translator i created a separate topic
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=328307
Portreve
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Portreve »

There are still some kilometers yet to go for GNU+Linux to enjoy broader adoption, most of which revolve around additional software, more mass public exposure (which takes money) and probably more instances of bundling it with the hardware.

In the late 1990s, after Steve Jobs returned to Apple, the company started to get rid of Apple dealers as well as regular retailers selling their computers. They did this because, at the time, they felt the platform wasn't being represented particularly well, and it was felt they themselves could do a better job. This entire process eventually culminated in opening up Apple Stores around the world. Eventually, they included store-within-a-store footprints inside of major retailers, such as Best Buy.

I'm not saying it is possible, but if it were possible, having a select few locations like this where hardware from various vendors could be set up and shown running LM, Ubuntu Studio, and maybe some other distro — with the requirement that they don't put on bleeding edge and therefore not particularly stable ones — with well spoken, professional looking women and men who actually know what they're talking about might make a dent. This could eventually be followed up with additional locations as the word got around.

There's no substitute for hands-on experience and word-of-mouth advertising.
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.0.

The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
— Dr. Lawrence J. Peter
t42
Level 4
Level 4

Post by t42 »

Portreve wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:48 pm
There are still some kilometers yet to go
There's no substitute for hands-on experience and word-of-mouth advertising.
At last substantive thinking vs antecedent rush to analyze consciousness of un-users (I would like to apologize immediately for commenting about commentary, still there is strong connotation of negative in the thread).
These days a great deal of narrative is: Linux is good for your old computers, folks, just try it before you throw away your PC in the trash bin. It is necessary to effectively change a narrative, to promote Linux technical innovation and its immense possibilities, which are out of reach within other systems.
-=t42=-
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

t42 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:24 am
Vladimir00 wrote:
Language is a wonderful thing and, if you take the time to study other languages, you will find that each has a unique template on reality, making you see and interpret life differently. This is also a multinational board with folk speaking many languages. So, perhaps you should try being a bit less parochial (or étroit as the French nicely term it).
t42
Level 4
Level 4

Post by t42 »

hydrurga wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:15 am
Language is a wonderful thing and, if you take the time to study other languages, you will find that each has a unique template on reality, making you see and interpret life differently. This is also a multinational board with folk speaking many languages.
I agree with all of the above. And with Google translate so many technical help was provided here. Language tolerance is obligatory on this board.
Anyway this thread has different character, and someone was trying to insert their doublespeak so familiar from other areas.
-=t42=-
hydrurga
Level 5
Level 5

Post by hydrurga »

t42 wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:52 am
I agree with all of the above. And with Google translate so many technical help was provided here. Language tolerance is obligatory on this board.
Anyway this thread has different character, and someone was trying to insert their doublespeak so familiar from other areas.
Ah, I get you. I didn't realise that there was a "history" aspect to the comment in your post.
Cyberbleuet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyberbleuet »

Very good post cris0101

Myself a former Win user for a long time and today under Linux has 100% for nearly three years, I tried several distributions and for reasons of compatibility and ergonomics my choice is stopped on Mint. With my background I didn't think Linux was a viable bone for me, however this changed completely three years ago and now I wouldn't go back.
On the other hand it is different for my wife who makes photo for her Win is suitable for her and I do not try to convert her.

Greetings!
Cyberbleuet

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Laptop:Acer Aspire-A115-31 15'', Intel Celeron N4000 graphic Intel, eMMC 64G, 4G mémoire Os/Linuxmint 19.3
Macbook-pro 15" mid 2012 i7, 8g, ssd500g intel/Nvidia video,doc-station with external screen 22" IPS, Os/Catalina
Vladimir00
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Vladimir00 »

Cyberbleuet wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:39 pm
Very good post cris0101
The person who started this thread was last active on this forum in 2016.

Return to “Chat about Linux”