Crunchbang "Statler" (Debian-based) OS

Chat about Linux in general
Suo_Eno
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Crunchbang "Statler" (Debian-based) OS

Post by Suo_Eno »

Fiddling about with the XFCE4 ver.Pretty slick implementation I'd say.

Can't get AwOken icons to work though.I use Clarity instead and fidgeted the def Conky to go lower to mid a bit.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

Suo_Eno wrote:Fiddling about with the XFCE4 ver.Pretty slick implementation I'd say.

Nice work. Now that you have your feet wet with Xfce you should dive in and check out the Openbox desktop. It's kinda funky if you're into Openbox or just amazing if you're not :) You can setup an Xfce/Openbox system by installing the multi session package.

sudo apt-get install crunchbang-multi-session
Suo_Eno
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Suo_Eno »

Backed up most of my /home stuff to the other PC so I'm gonna prep to dl the openbox ver's fresh .iso heh :mrgreen:
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

The latest stable squeeze based release is now available :)

http://crunchbanglinux.org/blog/2011/02 ... r20110207/

enjoy :mrgreen:
Suo_Eno
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Suo_Eno »

Hey thx for the heads up omns! :D
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

It is a good distro, I installed it a few days ago (although I have used it before on an old machine that I got rid of). I can understand why they say it is not for the inexperienced, I had several hassles with it (though I admit most of them were of my own making) but one that wasn't was the partitioning part of the installer. I have spent a long time with Linux now and I am not unfamiliar with partitioners, but this one was just unreadable and unusable. I had to come out of the install, go into Mint, partition from there and then go back and install so at least I knew where I was putting it - that really needs attention, I guess if you only have one or two partitions it would be OK, but if you have 10 or more as I do then the whole thing is so cluttered as to be unreadable, and the colours don't help either as for the most part they were indistinguishable from each other (and no I am not colour blind).

My next problem (self-inflicted I guess) - it wouldn't boot. I spent nearly a whole day tearing my hair out trying a million different fixes (even removed grub2 and installed proper grub) but nothing worked. I was about to give up and uninstall it when it hit me that it had installed with ext4 not ext3 and thus my grub1 boot loader from which I chainload all the grub2 crap that distros use these days could not read the /boot partition. So I had to install again.

Then I had the battle of the Plymouth boot screen. I HATE bootsplash screens with a vengeance, but could I get rid of this one? Could I hell. Yes I know about editing /etc/default/grub - it doesn't work. It works with mint and others but not Crunchbang. I solved it in the end but that was another battle.

Then there was the battle of the Nvidia drivers. (again self imposed because it uses nouveau). It doesn't have jockey-gtk on it so you have to do it manually, this is not normally a problem for me I have done it often enough, I install the driver and copy xorg.conf from my existing distros, this was the part that wouldn't work because it wouldn't read it, no idea why, so I had to delete xorg.conf (which allowed me to use the Nouveau driver) then reboot into Mint, write down the settings from nvidia-settings in there, boot back into Crunchbang, set up nvidia-settings as I want it and allow it write out xorg.conf (using the nouveau driver to do this remember) then reboot again to get my Nvidia graphics :shock:

The last battle (again self imposed) was that I could not get 'locate' to work as I wanted. I had to install 'mlocate' instead, one of their forum members solved that one for me.

So I guess what I would say if you pre partition and don't want to change much once you have installed it it probably quite easy but for me this was the most difficult install I have done for a long time, it kept me amused though.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
deleted

Post by deleted »

I use #! as my other OS, on my other PC. I installed the XFCE version and changed sources.list to sid. I use smxi for its care and feeding. It's a much more "complete" distro then say ArchBang (but maybe I'm just a Debian geek).
-Hinto
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

Agree with others, I downloaded both versions (Openbox and Xfce) of #!Crunchbang ... for my collection of Linux-Distros.

Although, I just re-installed (today) my #!Statler with r20110207 ... and I went with Xfce this time.

I am using the Squeeze (stable) repros+backports for my #!Crunchbang-Statler-Xfce install.

I have vowed to stick with Squeeze (stable) with #! . . . :lol: for as long as I can anyway.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The only 3 OS distros on my PC -- are all Debian-based and in x64-bit.

Debian 6.0-Xfce (testing) with the 2.6.36.2 kernel
LMDE-gnome (testing) with the 2.6.37 kernel
and Crunchbang-Statler-Xfce (stable-squeeze) with the default 2.6.32-5 kernel
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
sam500
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sam500 »

Recently installed CrunchBang Statler on my ageing Toshiba that was literally buckling under XP.

I haven't really had a chance to mess around with it yet because it won't recognise the wireless USB. I can't seem to identify said device using the lspci command.

Anyway, I'm chuffed that a laptop I'd previously written off is now breathing again.
LMDE
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

viking777 wrote:Then I had the battle of the Plymouth boot screen. I HATE bootsplash screens with a vengeance, but could I get rid of this one? Could I hell. Yes I know about editing /etc/default/grub - it doesn't work.
No need to edit grub. Just uninstall plymouth - done
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

well I am hooked, I am downloading Cruchbang at the moment

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

omns wrote:
viking777 wrote:Then I had the battle of the Plymouth boot screen. I HATE bootsplash screens with a vengeance, but could I get rid of this one? Could I hell. Yes I know about editing /etc/default/grub - it doesn't work.
No need to edit grub. Just uninstall plymouth - done
First thing I tried, but that doesn't work either. Plymouth controls more than just the bootsplash so removing it has other consequences. In my case I couldn't use autologin so I had to reinstall Plymouth to get that back.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
deleted

Post by deleted »

Oh and I did install the Liquorix Kernel, too. I guess I could have used the Debian one. I tried the aptosid one (since aptosid is in my sources.list), but I could readily compile the vmplayer modules with it. (I guess I could google around some more).
I use #! 64 to host a Ubuntu 64 jboss/webserver/dataserver stack for development. It's (#!) is light,nimble and gets the job done.
My primary development takes place on a Mint 64 (hosting Win7 solely for the reason of FlashBuilder 4).
-Hinto
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs »

viking777 wrote:First thing I tried, but that doesn't work either. Plymouth controls more than just the bootsplash so removing it has other consequences. In my case I couldn't use autologin so I had to reinstall Plymouth to get that back.
Ah, I don't like autologin so hadn't noticed it.

Return to “Chat about Linux”