Ubuntu is phasing out the notification area...

Chat about Linux in general
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Ubuntu is phasing out the notification area...

Post by linuxviolin »

I don't know if you have read this: http://design.canonical.com/2010/04/notification-area/

I have just one word to say: idiots!

I will say nothing more. That's up to you!
Last edited by linuxviolin on Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ubuntu is phasing out the notification area...

Post by Biker »

Welp... That clinches it for me as far as Gnome is concerned. Never again shall it touch any of my machines. ;)
Linux User #384279
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt »

I think the Ubuntu team is severely underestimating how much users like the notification area/system tray.

I'm glad I'm a KDE user.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

I'd rather have a cluttered system tray (yes, system tray, not "notification area") than a bunch of cluttered system menus. Ubuntu, stop messing with Gnome, all right? It's perfectly usable as is, and changing for the sake of change isn't very justifiable in the eyes of many users.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Wait and see what happens. Clem does not necessarily use some of the Ubuntu modifications, the main edition still has the cont, alt, backspace functionality where Ubuntu does not. Unfortunately these types of things create more for Clem and the Team to have to fix though.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

The word "idiots" came to my head too after reading this post. But then I read the whole rationale behind it on the Canonical page. And I must agree with most of it. Most apps use this area just as a minimalization replacement, so that a minimized app running for a long time (for example an instant messenger) takes less place on the panel. Lets not just bash guys from Canonical and see what idea do they come up with as a replacement and then comment on that.

P.S.
Canonical wrote:Nuke the entire site from orbit ! it's the only way to be sure

I love Alien 2 :D
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Not impressed. They keep trying to change **** for the sake of change. Heaven forbid people be comfortable with the desktop they use. These clowns not to stop playing "me too" with Apple.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

vincent wrote:I'd rather have a cluttered system tray (yes, system tray, not "notification area") than a bunch of cluttered system menus. Ubuntu, stop messing with Gnome, all right? It's perfectly usable as is, and changing for the sake of change isn't very justifiable in the eyes of many users.
Ditto!

The stupid window buttons on the left is bad enough, though only superficial. Now this? Well... I hope Clem and the team can keep Mint clean. These Canonical ideas are stupid. It sure would not hurt my feelings to seriously look at Squeeze as a base...
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Sorry but I think they are right. The notification area has been used and abused: the task bar is here to show applications, minimized or not; the volume control doesn't belong there; if you need a clock, it should not be in the notification area either; and why would you need an icon in the notification area for applications running in the background ?
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

GoustiFruit wrote:Sorry but I think they are right. The notification area has been used and abused: the task bar is here to show applications, minimized or not; the volume control doesn't belong there; if you need a clock, it should not be in the notification area either; and why would you need an icon in the notification area for applications running in the background ?
Simply because that is how it is done. :D

Everyone has an opinion, but when you make changes like this you should take everyone's opinion into account. Many people use the tray, it is a neat little place for background apps that would clutter up the task bar.

Just look at the response in here to this change. Mostly negative. As was the window button thing. Look in other forums, it is the same. As said, change just for the sake of change is usually not a good idea. With the window buttons the sheer fact that putting everything on the left will unbalance things is enough to not do this. Add to that the fact that in trying to use the toolbar it is bound to happen that people will accidentally close their window instead probably losing whatever they were doing in the process, and the whole idea just screams stupidity! About this notification area thing? If you do not like the tray then just remove it! Why screw it up for the vast majority who do use it?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

FedoraRefugee wrote:Everyone has an opinion, but when you make changes like this you should take everyone's opinion into account.
FedoraRefugee, Mark The Dictator does not care about the opinions of others! I have already talked in the forum about his dictatorial manners...

Like said by someone in a twitter post, "Right now, the way Ubuntu is governed by dictatorial decisions, I hate Ubuntu much more than I hate a lot of other IT brands."..................
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

linuxviolin wrote:
FedoraRefugee wrote:Everyone has an opinion, but when you make changes like this you should take everyone's opinion into account.
FedoraRefugee, Mark The Dictator does not care about the opinions of others! I have already talked in the forum about his dictatorial manners...

Like said by someone in a twitter post, "Right now, the way Ubuntu is governed by dictatorial decisions, I hate Ubuntu much more than I hate a lot of other IT brands."..................
Eh, I don't hate. I just vote with my wallet...Or in this case with my patronage. :D
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

FedoraRefugee wrote:
linuxviolin wrote:

Eh, I don't hate. I just vote with my wallet...Or in this case with my patronage. :D

Well said. Agreed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

linuxviolin wrote:

Is this change being dictated by Shuttleworth, or is it something that a group of people at Canonical came up with?
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa wrote:Is this change being dictated by Shuttleworth, or is it something that a group of people at Canonical came up with?
Whatever, they remain dictatorial decisions without worrying about users, without take everyone's opinion into account.
Last edited by linuxviolin on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

More related info:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopExperien ... Indicators

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/02/10/kde ... -in-gnome/

http://castrojo.wordpress.com/2010/02/0 ... or-update/

Folks, maybe this isn't such a bad idea. I don't know if it can really be called "change for the sake of change" because the folks behind it seem to be trying to improve things. As the "DX Team" says:
The current notification area is more and more difficult for users to interact with. Each application behaves differently, they're not accessible, and they're even sometime styled differently.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

This isn't a problem with the notification area, but with developers creating programs that interact with it. There needs to be a set standard that everyone can agree to in regards to how things access and react within the notification area.

Doing away with it because developers do things "their way" is asinine.
Linux User #384279
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

linuxviolin wrote:
MALsPa wrote:Is this change being dictated by Shuttleworth, or is it something that a group of people at Canonical came up with?
Whatever, they remain dictatorial decisions without worrying about users, without take everyone's opinion into account.
I don't think it's possible to take everyone's opinion into account. I also don't know if it's correct to label this decision as "dictatorial."
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

MALsPa wrote:As the "DX Team" says:
The current notification area is more and more difficult for users to interact with. Each application behaves differently, they're not accessible, and they're even sometime styled differently.
I'm sorry but the "DX Team" is stupid! " to interact with."? Pfff, it's very simple, I have no problem to use it. "they're not accessible, and they're even sometime styled differently"? idiot. I have often several apps in this area and every app is good (Transmission, Pidgin, aMule, Opera...), absolutely no problem about style or other thing!

In fact, it's perhaps just "more and more difficult" for monkey users... :roll:

Sorry if I am a little harsh but really, all of this is stupid. :mrgreen:
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

Just as with the infamous "moving of the buttons" everyone is once again making a huge deal out of nothing.

The notification area really is pointless if you think about it. Did any of you even read the article? If they can come up with a better way to handle these kind of things (processes running in the background, etc.) then there isn't a reason to have a notification area.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

Return to “Chat about Linux”