Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Chat about Linux in general
Post Reply
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4406
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by vrkalak »

Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS is due to be released tomorrow.

Mint-9 will be based on this distribution.

The NEW Ubuntu Lucid Manual has just been released.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/04/ubun ... eased.html

Download it as a PDF file and learn everything about Ubuntu Lucid, and ultimately Mint-9 there is to know.
Image
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
User avatar
Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by Oscar799 »

Thanks vrkalak,
Very useful document :P
Image
chipps61

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by chipps61 »

And Ubuntu 10.04 is now available on Ubuntu's web site. Let the Mint 9 begin :)
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 pm
Location: Hendersonville, NC, USA

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by Kendall »

chipps61 wrote:And Ubuntu 10.04 is now available on Ubuntu's web site. Let the Mint 9 begin :)
The Fluxbox edition is already on DEV-005. :wink:
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4406
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by vrkalak »

Kendall wrote:
chipps61 wrote:And Ubuntu 10.04 is now available on Ubuntu's web site. Let the Mint 9 begin :)
The Fluxbox edition is already on DEV-005. :wink:
I know that 'all' the Mint Team of Devs are already working through the night, and coding (typing) their little fingers to the bone, but ...
For this NEW LTS of Mint-9 ... I hope we get all the different versions released in a timely manner. :D
Image
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 660
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:16 pm

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by z06gal »

chipps61 wrote:And Ubuntu 10.04 is now available on Ubuntu's web site. Let the Mint 9 begin :)

Amen to this!!! I know it is supposed to be May but any idea when? I cannot help my excitement for this release. :D
User avatar
Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by Superewza »

I'm posting from the LiveCD now... it's a lot less than i thought it would be. They haven't really implemented the whole 'rebranding' structure yet and other than the theme i can't tell what's different. Maybe i've just become too accustomed to the brilliant layout and software of Mint, but i'm just not as impressed as i thought i would be. This was, in my mind, going to be the final push required to make it a serious contender in the home OS world but i'm not so sure any more.

I miss my MintMenu!
User avatar
Carl
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by Carl »

Superewza wrote:I'm posting from the LiveCD now... it's a lot less than i thought it would be. They haven't really implemented the whole 'rebranding' structure yet and other than the theme i can't tell what's different. Maybe i've just become too accustomed to the brilliant layout and software of Mint, but i'm just not as impressed as i thought i would be. This was, in my mind, going to be the final push required to make it a serious contender in the home OS world but i'm not so sure any more.

I miss my MintMenu!
Agreed I was far from impressed :roll: Kubuntu 10.04 also appears to be the usual joke of a release as well :? :o :shock:
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4406
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by vrkalak »

Like with all the previous Ubuntu releases ... you need to give it couple weeks (or a month) for the Devs to work out all the bugs.

When, you have to meet such a strict deadline, as a release date, it's difficult to workout everything. Even with all the Alphas, Betas and the RC.
One of the main reasons everyone like Mint ... is that the Mint Devs take their time and make sure everything works 'before' it's released.

I never download a 'new' release, until it's had a while to 'get fixes'
I ordered a FREE LiveCD of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- expect 4-6 weeks for delivery -- I'll wait 'til then before installing Lucid
Image
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
User avatar
Superewza
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Europe, Earth, ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by Superewza »

One thing i will say though is that the software manager is quite good, but not perfect. I hope they don't choose one or the other for Mint 9 and integrate parts of both.
denyu
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by denyu »

vrkalak wrote:Like with all the previous Ubuntu releases ... you need to give it couple weeks (or a month) for the Devs to work out all the bugs.

When, you have to meet such a strict deadline, as a release date, it's difficult to workout everything. Even with all the Alphas, Betas and the RC.
One of the main reasons everyone like Mint ... is that the Mint Devs take their time and make sure everything works 'before' it's released.

I never download a 'new' release, until it's had a while to 'get fixes'
I ordered a FREE LiveCD of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- expect 4-6 weeks for delivery -- I'll wait 'til then before installing Lucid
I am afraid you will not use the Free LiveCD vrkalak... because you will download LM9 and installed it before your Free LiveCD arrive... :D
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4406
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by vrkalak »

denyu wrote: I am afraid you will not use the Free LiveCD vrkalak... because you will download LM9 and installed it before your Free LiveCD arrive... :D
Of course, I will install Mint-9 Xfce, as my primary OS . . . but, I have several Linux OS distros on my PC. :P

My histroy with Linux, has shown me, that ... "I don't like any Ubuntu distro over Mint." :mrgreen: it's fun to play with.
Image
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
User avatar
COKEDUDE
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid -- Manual

Post by COKEDUDE »

Thx for the manual.
Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”