Page 2 of 18

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:26 pm
by eiver

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:26 pm
by Progressor
Under Windows I started with Firefox, but a I saw a friend use Opera before I ever heard of it. Curious by nature, and because she said it's faster (efficiency is neat), I gave it a try. There was a lot to customize (which is addicting on it's own :-p), and these days the only thing I miss is looking for more search terms simultaneously in page*. I used Chrome as back-up (and removed Internet Exploder as far as possible :-p), which I needed for some web services of my university (e.g, signing in for tests).

Now in Linux kept using Opera, with Chromium as back-up. Maybe Ill take some time to explore other Linux browsers, to know what's around.

What really got me addicted to Opera: Mouse controls like going to the previous page holding right and pressing left (reverse for next). I intuitively try it in any other browser, and... Crap. XD

*Search in page for A B searches for A or B, not "A B", it was a Google search bar feature. I had a script for it, but it didn't work anymore after an update.

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:56 pm
by AndrewH
Progressor, both FireFox and Chrome/Chromium have extensions for mouse gestures. :)

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:57 am
by GoustiFruit
Yes but:
1- extensions don't work as efficiently as something that is built-in
2- extensions keep breaking when Firefox is updated
3- I share my Firefox profile between Windows and Linux and the FireGestures extension makes Firefox crash under Linux (in fact, I can start Firefox a first time, but it won't launch a second time, I have to start it with --safe-mode, disable FireGestures, then restart Firefox, reenable FireGestures, and so on)

Chrome will kill Firefox. For now I keep Opera, still the best, still discovering features years after years after years after years...

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:34 am
by galher
Chromium

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:50 am
by Progressor
AndrewH wrote:Progressor, both FireFox and Chrome/Chromium have extensions for mouse gestures. :)
Mouse gestures is an option I disabled as soon as I knew it existed. It seems really annoying to me that something happens on mouse movement.
I wasn't talking about gestures, just button combinations. (Though no doubt these things aren't impossible to fix in other browsers. ;-))

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:11 am
by StevOz
It's got to be FF for me, all the rest are too drap and inflexible for me. 8)

Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 pm
by linuxviolin
The other day JavaScript crashed my Firefox. How can people still love a web browser that crashes as often as Windows 3.1 used to crash? :twisted:

And to answer about Chrome, I'd say it is a whole of a lot better indeed, except that for instance I NEED a standard Menu bar, which it lacks.

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:21 am
by GoustiFruit
My young sister uses Facebook; whenever she tries to load her list of friends, Firefox freezes. I installed Opera for her and now she can use a snappy Facebook.

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:35 am
by mick55
I installed Opera today. It is very fast and responsive and I would like to continue
using it. I have one issue though.

It will not import my Firefox bookmarks. When I try and import them the
CPU use hits 100% and the RAM usage sky rockets and Opera freezes.

My bookmarks.html from firefox is about 4.5MB. When I import/export between
Firefox versions it takes about 25 seconds due to the size/quantity of the bookmarks.

Any Opera users know a way to successfully import a large Firefox bookmarks.html?

thanks

mick

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:05 am
by sylvainsjc
linuxviolin wrote:The other day JavaScript crashed my
Firefox. How can people still love a
web browser that crashes as often as
Windows 3.1 used to crash?
Wow !!! Firefox its evil for U :twisted: ==> Look here

I use Firefox on all my linux PC and its rock. Speed is now here (a little less than chromium but so little...), Security increased, So many add-ons, customisations

No needs to change for chrome/chromium/opera, etc Firefox give me everything I need

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:12 am
by MALsPa
I don't know which one is "best." Some days I prefer Chromium or Google Chrome, but Firefox is still my preferred browser. It's getting to be a very close call.

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:38 am
by AndrewH
That's one thing I really like about Chrome/Chromium - if a page crashes, it only affects that tab, not the entire browser, since each tab is completely independent.

Chrome/Chromium has menus, they're under the page and wrench icons in the upper right.

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:14 am
by sylvainsjc
AndrewH wrote:That's one thing I really like about Chrome/Chromium - if a page crashes, it only affects that tab, not the entire browser, since each tab is completely independent.

Chrome/Chromium has menus, they're under the page and wrench icons in the upper right.
Firefox has the same behavior for the crash and for the menu at this time you can use 2 add-ons : "Compact Menu" and "AutoHideStatusBar"

Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Firefox 4 will have this without add-on

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:17 am
by GoustiFruit
mick55 wrote:I installed Opera today. It is very fast and responsive and I would like to continue
using it. I have one issue though.

It will not import my Firefox bookmarks. When I try and import them the
CPU use hits 100% and the RAM usage sky rockets and Opera freezes.

My bookmarks.html from firefox is about 4.5MB. When I import/export between
Firefox versions it takes about 25 seconds due to the size/quantity of the bookmarks.

Any Opera users know a way to successfully import a large Firefox bookmarks.html?

thanks

mick
I remember Opera couldn't automatically import Firefox bookmarks on my sister computer, I had to first export them from Firefox in another bookmarks.html and then tell Opera to import from Firefox pointing to that new file. But it was not as big so I don't know if there may be another problem...

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:47 am
by linuxviolin
sylvainsjc wrote:Wow !!! Firefox its evil for U :twisted: ==>Look here.
But this is about plugins: "Crash protection is the name of the Firefox capability based on Gecko's out of process plugins technology. It first shipped in Firefox 3.6.4 for Windows and Linux only, running Adobe Flash, Apple QuickTime and Microsoft Silverlight in a separate process called plugin-container." Not exactly what I talked about.
AndrewH wrote:Chrome/Chromium has menus, they're under the page and wrench icons in the upper right.
Yes but this is NOT a menu bar! But I dislike also several other things...
sylvainsjc wrote:Firefox has the same behavior for the crash and for the menu at this time you can use 2 add-ons : "Compact Menu" and "AutoHideStatusBar"

Image
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Firefox 4 will have this without add-on
Oh my God! Noooooo, not this! Idiots! :evil:

A problem with Opera is it crashes sometimes often, even with about only 10 tabs in a window... Except this it is quite good (but with the menu bar, not with its default look) So, for now I stay with Opera (never had some problems to import html bookmarks file) and Firefox but I keep an eye on Midori. Like I said, there is unfortunately no really good browser for any OS currently...

P.S.= To people who think Chrome is just a customized build of Chromium, read this page Extract:
Video and audio tags===> Google Chrome: H.264, AAC, MP3, Vorbis and Theora Chromium: Vorbis and Theora by default Extra notes: Varies by distro: Ubuntu Chromium ships the two flavors, Fedora Chromium removes support completely
Code===> Google Chrome: Tested by developers Chromium: Modified by distributions Extra notes: Extra modifications by distributions have been a continual source of problems for users; please include distribution information if you report bugs
Sandbox===> Google Chrome: Always on Chromium: may be disabled, depending on distributor Extra notes: Ubuntu and Gentoo: always on; warning: some unofficial Slackware packages remove it!
Package===> Google Chrome: Single deb/rpm Chromium: distro specific, sometimes split into multiple parts (locale data, inspector, v8) Extra notes: Ubuntu ships l10n and inspector (optional) and 2 codecs sets (1 mandatory) for both the nightly builds, the dev channel and the beta channel, but with the same package names in each channel

(...)

Quality Assurance===> Google Chrome: New releases are tested before sending to users Chromium: Sometimes nightly builds without testing Extra notes: Depends on the distro; e.g. Ubuntu Chromium tracks the same version numbers as Google Chrome, but other distros sometimes ship unstable "nightly" builds

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:19 pm
by sylvainsjc
linuxviolin wrote:
sylvainsjc wrote:Wow !!! Firefox its evil for U :twisted: ==>Look here.
But this is about plugins: "Crash protection is the name of the Firefox capability based on Gecko's out of process plugins technology. It first shipped in Firefox 3.6.4 for Windows and Linux only, running Adobe Flash, Apple QuickTime and Microsoft Silverlight in a separate process called plugin-container." Not exactly what I talked about.
On va finir par parler fran├žais ici :lol:

You said "Not exactly what I talked about." So what are you talking about if it's not about crash tabs ??? Give me an example because I've never seen a crash in my linux Firefox...

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:41 pm
by linuxviolin
sylvainsjec wrote:On va finir par parler fran├žais ici :lol:
:P
sylvainsjec wrote:So what are you talking about if it's not about crash tabs ???
No, I talked about Firefox crash due to JavaScript. This was the other day but I don't remember where and/or on which site... :?

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:09 pm
by JonM33
I use Opera 10.60.

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:06 pm
by Superewza
Opera's okay, and i use Opera Mini on my phone but i really wouldn't say it's the best browser for Linux for no reason other than that it isn't Open Source.