Best browser for Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Post by mzsade »

Sorry to be a wet blanket and brutally frank, but obviously, it has to be the one that the developers with their superior wisdom decide on. If those who so strongly support alternatives knew better they would also have known how to make their own distro.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008

Murdock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Murdock »

Minefield 4.0 seems good at the moment.............. 8)
Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica

masqueofaghost
Level 1
Level 1

Post by masqueofaghost »

Firefox. So many awesome addons. Chrome needs quite a few more before I'd consider it.

-----
Someone Swyped my idea.

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

I am strating to like Chrome

it is nice and fast and looks great

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

Murdock
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Murdock »

Internut Exploder is numero Uno. :shock:
I run Minefield 1.0
Pura Vida.
Arenal Botanical Garden
Lake Arenal, Costa Rica

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

Open a terminal and type: w3m linuxmint.com (enter), you can scroll and click with your mouse, totally customizable, just check out the manual . . . open another terminal and have top or htop running ; check the ram usage while surfing with w3m . . 'nuff said ! :mrgreen:

http://w3m.sourceforge.net/MANUAL

k273
Level 1
Level 1

Post by k273 »

I can't speak up for just Linux because I live in a world where I sometimes must do things outside Linux. So, I have Opera in Win, I have Opera in Mint, I have Opera in Nokia N900 (Maemo, also a Linux distro), I have Opera in Nokia E75 (Symbian), I have Opera in Sony Ericsson W508, I have Opera in Samsung U700, I even have Opera in O2 XDA Flame (yeah it's so old, I know), and I have Opera that I can run from a flash disk.

Thing is, Opera Link works great for me. It connects all Opera program from wherever I open it, and synchronizes its speed dial, bookmarks, settings, etc. Very thoughtful and handy.

This point is subjective fondness, but Opera is pioneer in a lot of web browser features used nowadays, and most of the time other browsers just follow suit or adopt. Much like Volvo is pioneer in a lot of safety features in a car, and other marques follow suit. :D

And speaking about speed, I still see that Opera is the fastest for me. I don't know, maybe the network in my country got something to do with it?

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

Don't remember where I heard about or who recommened it.
but lately, I have been using the Epiphany-browser.

It is a light-weight but full-featured GUI gnome-based browser.
The set-up is slightly different than Firefox but didn't take me long to get the hang of it.

I like it better than either Firefox-4.0 or Chromium-11 ... at the moment.

The Epiphany-browser is available in the repros and installable through Synaptic.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

randomizer
Level 5
Level 5

Post by randomizer »

You probably heard about Epiphany because it is the default browser for GNOME ;)

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I personally like Chromium. It opens faster than Firefox and uses less screen real estate in its default configuration. I do, of course, keep Firefox as a back up.
Mint MATE 19.3

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

My personal favorite is Chromium and that's primarily because it's so darn fast. However, I keep Firefox loaded because I love the DownThemAll download manager. My internet connection is not always fast or consistent so whenever I download something, I always use DTA in Firefox.

mikhou

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

My personal favorite is Chromium and that's primarily because it's so darn fast. However, I keep Firefox loaded because I love the DownThemAll download manager. My internet connection is not always fast or consistent so whenever I download something, I always use DTA in Firefox.

mikhou

cra1g321
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cra1g321 »

mikhou wrote:My personal favorite is Chromium and that's primarily because it's so darn fast. However, I keep Firefox loaded because I love the DownThemAll download manager. My internet connection is not always fast or consistent so whenever I download something, I always use DTA in Firefox.
mikhou
Yeah im the same, starting to use chromium more but i like DownThemAll add-on as i can define where is want the file im downloading to download to and i can easily right-click on something and download with the one-click tool which is super useful 8)

So currently still using firefox and chromium, but i think if chromium gets something like the DTA add-on then it will be chromium only :)
PC - Gigabyte 970A-DS3 AMD 970 , AMD Bulldozer FX-4 4170, Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB 1600MHz C9, Zotac Geforce 8800GT AMP Edition, OS's = Linux / WIN7

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I've always liked Opera, and Firefox is good for downloads, but my main browser is Google Chrome. It now has the Amazon Reader, which is a big deal to me. Also fast and just works well. But a pain to add bookmarks to, Firefox beats it there, so does Opera.
KBD47

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

I think this thread can be closed now as everyone agreed that Opera is simply the best.

pan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pan »

Chromium is the best for me. Anyway, test your browsers and see for yourself: http://clients.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Planky wrote:I think that Chrome is unusable because of it's hideous font rendering. They claim it's because Linux doesn't support anti-aliasing because of the Microsoft patents, but the font rendering on every other browser is just fine, it's only Chrome that has a problem.
Hideous font rendering...i hope you are joking...I've run both Firefox and Chrome (and the open source chromium version) and Chrome/Chromium ALWAYS looks much better then firefox on my Mint Main Edition installs....The fonts looks better...photos on web pages are richer, it just plain LOOKS better....Chrome uses the same underpinning as the Mac's Safari browser (only Chrome does more tweaking and performance enhancements i have read)....

A key thing though is to install the microsoft windows fonts from the package manager (ttf-mscore package)....then Chrome will default to the proper fonts that make it look exceptional!!!

I also kick my fonts up a notch or to (point size) in the settings...that works best for me....since i like most web pages to render slightly larger when they allow it (not all web pages do)...i have a high resolution screen and am not a youngster (lol) so it helps a lot...

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

GoustiFruit wrote:I think this thread can be closed now as everyone agreed that Opera is simply the best.
Hah! :wink: :mrgreen:

Chrome rules!!! :)

Robin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Robin »

I really like Midori, but it crashes constantly on every distro I've tried it on except SalixOS (Slackware-based).

My "default" internet suite is Seamonkey. Built and maintained by Mozilla from the remnants of the old Netscape suite, it does what Opera does (combined browser and e-mail client), only with Firefox / Thunderbird beauty (including most extensions) and it's much easier on resources than it's cousins.

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Robin wrote:My "default" internet suite is Seamonkey. Built and maintained by Mozilla from the remnants of the old Netscape suite, it does what Opera does (combined browser and e-mail client), (...)
Opera also does Torrent, RSS reader, widgets, Unite, newsreader (usenet), chat, ...

Return to “Chat about Linux”