Best browser for Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Post by KBD47 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:12 am

I never have just one browser on a computer. I currently have Opera, Chrome, and Firefox. I say the more the merrier.

heebakutty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by heebakutty » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:51 am

yes sure google Chrome is the best browser, when i was using chrome, my internet browsing was running at a lighting speed, i even checked my speed
http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/
and it was normal subscribed 5Mbps, i was using firefox which chocked my browsing capabilities .
But the only one advantage with firefox is that it has more add ons, which makes things much easier

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Robin wrote:I really like Midori, but it crashes constantly
Same for me. (about crashes)
heebakutty wrote:google Chrome is the best browser
Chrome/Chromium is not too bad but it is unusable for *heavy* surf with many tabs etc as I already explained. Even Aurora and Nightly make a better job about this than Chrome/Chromium. And yet, I don't really like Firefox. Opera makes a quite good job also, even if it's not perfect of course. It is quite good, although not open source, yes, but and what? The product is good. Period. :D

ESIT: I forgot. Except for "Inspect Element", Chrome has nothing valuable. No "View selection source", no "Show only this frame", no manual char encoding...
Last edited by linuxviolin on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:04 pm

IE6 in Wine :D

What? Can't better perfection :shock: :wink: :lol:
Crivens!

lvleow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lvleow » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Firefox...

I've checked out Chrome and SeaMonkey, but ended up hating them because you could only import/export bookmarks as html (which means after import, you have to organise). Unlike json in firefox (which you don't)

Though I really dig the recent website screenshots on startup of chrome.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Besides it's speed...what i love about Chrome is the way web pages look on it...it reminds me very much of when i ran Safari during my short stint with MAC...Not really surprising though, since Chrome is based on the same "underpinnings" as Safari although from what i hear Chrome puts a lot more work, research and improvements into it...That is why i love Chrome as my main browser...

I also like the way it is laid out and the minimal real estate space it takes up on the screen.... :)

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:33 am

ThistleWeb wrote:IE6 in Wine :D

What? Can't better perfection :shock: :wink: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Beta

Matti L
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Matti L » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:53 am

KBD47 wrote:I never have just one browser on a computer. I currently have Opera, Chrome, and Firefox. I say the more the merrier.
I agree! Why choose if you don't have to?

thatsallurspaceships
Level 2
Level 2

Post by thatsallurspaceships » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:53 pm

In the past years i tried everything and you can't denie that FF + X (insert personal choice here) are needed. I find FF cool, but in my opinion it is a flaw to run everything.
This computer is used by the hole family and therefore it must be easy to use and not clever. So open your horizont and give other browsers like Rekonq a chance. :)
THATS ALL YOUR SPACESHIPS?

Colonel Panic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Colonel Panic » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:38 pm

Matti L wrote:
KBD47 wrote:I never have just one browser on a computer. I currently have Opera, Chrome, and Firefox. I say the more the merrier.
I agree! Why choose if you don't have to?
Yeah, so do I but if I had to have just one it would be Seamonkey, with Opera in second place.

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:55 am

I only use Opera, both on Windows and on Linux.

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:59 am

Epiphany is a good lightweight browser, but it uses www.debian.org as its home page in Ubuntu and Mint.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

synaptix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by synaptix » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:11 am

My vote always is and always goes to Firefox no matter what.

As previously stated:

It's fast.
It's powerful.
It looks great default.
Arsenal of addons.
Quick security fixes and other updates.

:)

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:23 pm

Firefox? Hmm no.

Firefox 7, the same sh** as FF6. Opened 6 tabs, 195 MB RAM. Opened many more, used for a day, closed all but the initial 6 tabs. 643 MB RAM.

People say Firefox sometimes uses more memory than it should and advise you to try "one of these easy fixes": High memory usage. Restarting Firefox is the only one that works, and I'm not using any extension!
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:47 am

synaptix wrote:It's fast.
Compared to what ? All other browser are faster !?
It's powerful.
What do you mean ? What kind of power does it bring to you that other browsers don't ?
It looks great default.
Compared to what ? All other browser look as good !?
Arsenal of addons.
That is the only pro I will recognize to Firefox.
Quick security fixes and other updates.
Talk about it to distro packagers !

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:56 pm

Several things nice about Chrome/Chromium: I love the huge choice of themes, it is easy to export/import your bookmarks across several operating systems and have them be in the same place on Chromium, it's easy to access bookmarks with the the bookmarks bar, fast browser, Amazon Kindle Reader (app), Sparks Chess (app), Angry Birds (app), easy to configure font size and fonts types in preferences.
KBD47

eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:59 am

Comparing Firefox vs Chrome gives no clear result of who is the winner. On my machine they are both really fast. The interface is similar in most cases, with only small details different. Both browsers frequently copy good ideas from each other and become more an more alike. What I really hate about Chrome is not the browser itself, but rather the marketing campaign about it. Google tries to trick the user into installing Chrome and making it the default browser with practically every product they have (a small check-box, which is always checked by default). Google goes clearly in MS steps in this case. Given Googles increasing dominance (google search, google ads, google chrome, gmail, google plus and more), I'd rather stay with Firefox and its great set of addons.

Elisa
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Elisa » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:31 am

Comparing Firefox vs Chrome gives me bright winner at the first sight: FF or Chromium.
Why ? The beast aka Chrome takes out of RAM 2x (twice) more than FF or Chromium :shock: :evil:
Linux/Unix is about freedom, Windows about slavery.

md5 / sha1 check [how-to for NEWBIES] :idea:

Score: 43 I have some hippie in me. Cool, man 8)
Take the elitemrp.net "Are you a Hippie?" Test

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:40 am

eiver wrote:Comparing Firefox vs Chrome gives no clear result of who is the winner. (...) Both browsers frequently copy good ideas from each other and become more an more alike.
Ideas which they got first hand from Opera.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:56 am

probably so...but as a former (short time) mac user (after leaving windows but before discovering linux...lol) what i love about Chrome is the way it displays (renders) web pages...reminds me very much of Safari browser which i loved...and it shouldn't be a surprise about that as underneath, it uses the same underpinnings as Safari except Chrome is much faster on development then Safari is...

although i first used firefox when coming to linux and like it very much...once chrome came on the scene and i discovered it, i switched right over and now it is my favorite...

i tried Opera for awhile also...it is nice..but i prefer Chrome overall i would say... :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”