Best browser for Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
becca7
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Post by becca7 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:24 am

I use google Chrome and its the best browser, when i first downloaded it, my internet was running at a lighting speed, i even checked my speed from scanmyspeed and it was normal too,i used firefox which chocked my browsing capabilities..But the only one advantage with firefox is that it has more add ons, which makes things much easier..

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:40 am

My preferred browser is still Chromium.

I gave rekonq another try today (0.7.0, from KDE 4.6.5 in Fedora 15). Seemed a bit slow. Still no extensions. And, worse, crashed on me 3 times, and all I was doing was some web searches and looking at some articles to see if it was possible to add some extensions to rekonq. Disappointing experience.

David S
Level 1
Level 1

Post by David S » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:28 am

Chrome, usually running the beta or developer builds. If for some reason I need to use another browser its Firefox.

Clyde
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Clyde » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:51 pm

FireFox IMO - tried 'em all ... with chrome/chromium your stuck with opening pages in 'Tabs' (hate the tabs) prefer opening pages in there own seperate windows.

karliet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by karliet » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Well i prefer firefox for adblocke plus but i recently started testing epiphany its pretty fast and since linux is so secure you don't honestly need the protection firefox offers so i traded security for speed
"If to live, we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain"

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:13 am

Firefox is ok but i like Chrome/Chromium the best...i like the way it tabs...the bookmarks, and the intuitive preference settings...it has some really neat and excellent extensions and also is very speedy and has beautiful rendering of web pages...almost identical to mac's safari browser which shouldn't be surprising since it has the same basic stuff underneath it, except google makes improvements much quicker then apple does with theirs...

Vella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vella » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 am

Opera for me has been the best for years - at least 10... it's fast, and I like the design. And only now I discovered how to keep bookmarks in sync with other computers! I absolutely can not stand Firefox - slow, don't like the interface - don't like the lot of things. Now - Chrome I also found appalling. And it's Google! In Windows and Mac - as an option I had Wyzo installed - which is brilliant - a FF based browser, without the bulky crap, but all the support of a popular browser. Since Wyzo is quite new - they might come up with Linux version sometime. Then I would say - it is a taste issue - Opera or Wyzo... I should try, someone mentioned, Iceweasel, if it's a FF based but lighter and faster, as a backup browser - but I will be sticking with Opera - yes, all those handy keyboard shortcuts :wink:

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:23 am

Not that it matters, this thread could go on for a thousand years and someone will get 10 gazillion different answers along da way. :D

Am a FF kinda person. ( or one of it's relatives) It's the wordpress of web browsers, anything someone could want ... There's probably an addon/plugin for it. Plus like the transparency of it. Someone wants to dig into it, they can really get under the hood and tweak to their hearts content. Keyboard shortcuts ? Abound in pretty much every browser known to humanity. lol ... when in doubt, Google is always there. Also recall noticing FF+kin are more resource friendly than some others. Which is important to me ... grates on my nerves when any software becomes a resource hog without earning its keep. If x browser is going to use up more of my CPU or RAM. I better get a noticeable benefit outta the deal. ;)

Being a compulsive software tweaker, spent more than a tad bit of time over the years learning to tweak FF/etc. With XP, have the latest stable for chrome/opera ... and FF on it. That FF 7.01 is as fast or faster than any of the others. At least, far as I'm able to tell anyway. Maybe .00001 secs diff ... maybe. Though I tend to disable prefetching, don't like it. Or could use some stoopid rendering tweaks that make it look like it's loading faster. But overall increases the time a webpage takes .. etc. And actually for me, FF ( and family ) seldom if ever hang vs some of the others which I think do more often.

iceweasel more or less IS firefox. Just the unbranded Debian version of it. Am typing this on iceweasel 7.01 now. Works well enough for me, shrugs. Think saw summin on LM homepage about them being in talks w Opera. Which I have no thoughts on one way or the other. Whatever LM wants to do is ok by me or whichever people prefer ... For me its likely going to stay something mozilla or related for the foreseeable though. Find it funny what people state as their reason to prefer one over another a lot of times. Screen realestate ? :D

Takes me all of 2 mins to customize a FF based browser to have as much or more viewport as any of the others. OR hit F11 ( aka: full screen mode ) if 10 pixels is that big a deal, lol. Whatever someone prefers ... *thumbs up folks. Besides this is gnu/nix. Who says anybody can only have 1 anyway ? There's my ode to da blessed FF and pro-mozilla rant. :D

Vella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vella » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:16 am

And people are likely be set in certain ways, how often do you find, that even when you offer an obviously easier version, they will still refuse it, because it's just they are used to do it LIKE THIS. I mean in life general. As for Opera vs FF/Chrome etc, I just think they are somewhat fundamentally different - and it comes down to what you are used to/prefer. FF is heavy though. I just installed Iceweasel, and it looks quite neat, I just am used to Opera and don't see the need for changing :mrgreen: . It would be interesting though to see some real anonymous statistics about usage...
P.S. Is the weather indicator at the panel clock bad? Don't see the need for it added to the browser :roll:

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:43 am

Nothing wrong with sticking w what someone likes for whichever reason ... imo. Even if it's habit. Would admit to FF/etc being that for me now too. But isn't just that ... Haven't seen anything else that offers as many features, customizations, ease of tweaking ... blahblahblah. But haven't spent as much time w the others as with mozilla's stuff. Think I've tried every web browser known to humankind though. More than a few ... that most people haven't bothered hearing about too. :D

And w/o some weird backroom deals going on. Don't think anyone is ever going to out browser the folks at mozilla in terms of software development. One way or the other. Default software wise, they may not always stay ahead of the curve for everyone. But seriously doubt, they'll ever be far behind either. They've been doing the web browser thing so long. I feel confident in having faith in them. Personally am not going to be following the herd and updating everytime a new version number of FF pops out. Again though ... seriously doubt, all things being equal, mozilla will ever opt to shoot themselves in the foot with any upcoming releases.

Cannot remember the recent stats off the top. But FF has a more than respectable share according to reasonably credible sources, last time I checked. Wanna say somewhere in the 20+% range. But won't swear to it. Don't think it matters anyway. People are going to use whatever right ? Ummm, the iceweasel issue ya have there. Don't know ... mine doesn't have that. Got it from a Debian backport though. Not using LM repos etc. So not sure what that's about.

Vella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vella » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:55 am

I don't have issues :) ( If you mean the weather add-on: - someone mentioned it at the 1st half of the post as most important add-on, that FF has and Opera don't )

lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lmintnewb » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:03 am

lol ... oh. No way Im reading this monster of a thread. ;)

Kinda made my vote clear ... actually beaten it to death already. Could list a buncha other stuff for why I think mozilla and gnu/nix go hand in hand. But sheesh ... am boring myself. I have nothing against whatever people wanna use to browse da web. Weather plugin ? ... shrugs. Definitely goes to show diff stuff is important to diff people. Prefer other plugins myself ... diff strokes. Either way, personal opinion. I definitely feel fortunate to have all this awesome software to choose from ... Go gnu/Linux ! :D

Vella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vella » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:09 am

lmintnewb wrote:lol ... oh. No way Im reading this monster of a thread. ;)

I definitely feel fortunate to have all this awesome software to choose from ... Go gnu/Linux ! :D
exactly and exactly
I read first half and the end bit :lol: It really doesn't matter that much what is the bundled software - as I'll get rid of it, if I don't like it as long as the one I want is available :) (it's nice, of course, if some of it is your preferred stuff though by default)

Vella
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vella » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:09 am

lmintnewb wrote:lol ... oh. No way Im reading this monster of a thread. ;)

I definitely feel fortunate to have all this awesome software to choose from ... Go gnu/Linux ! :D
exactly and exactly
I read first half and the end bit :lol: It really doesn't matter that much what is the bundled software - as I'll get rid of it, if I don't like it, as long as, the one I want, is available :) (it's nice, of course, if some of it is your preferred stuff, though, by default)

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 am

I'm always asking myself how people can really like Firefox... This thing which uses a huge memory, even if some future version can perhaps (?) improve this a little.

By comparison, on my laptop, in Windows 7 IE9 uses only 258 MB... If this is high memory usage, as AVG Advisor seems thinking, then what is Firefox while using 1 GB of RAM? By the way, since I'm using Speckie with MSIE9, I don't miss Firefox anymore. (No, Chrome is not my cuppa tea and it is unusable for my use, as I already said/explained elsewhere)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Ponny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ponny » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:40 am

Mijav

I use SeaMonkey in Linux. Mint 9. Why? I'm not sure. I can't tell exactly reason. Of course, one reason is this: SeaMonkey is browser and Mail client in one package. I use it fromm beginnnings of my internet era.

By the way, I use Firefox as second browser.

Ponny :oops: :wink:
Indigo Pony? Alas, what you go through these days!

GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:13 am

Vella wrote:I don't have issues :) ( If you mean the weather add-on: - someone mentioned it at the 1st half of the post as most important add-on, that FF has and Opera don't )
I think Opera has Weather Extensions, as well as Weather Speed Dial extensions, as well as Weather Widgets... And guess what, you can actually also browse with Opera on any weather website ! :lol:
Ponny wrote:I use SeaMonkey in Linux. Mint 9. Why? I'm not sure. I can't tell exactly reason. Of course, one reason is this: SeaMonkey is browser and Mail client in one package. I use it fromm beginnnings of my internet era.
Opera does email too.

wyrdoak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wyrdoak » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:24 am

I think Opera would be great. Flash runs better for me in Opera. Can't seem to get the other plugins other than java to work for embedded multimedia. unless there is a secret to it I haven't found yet. The way it loads web pages I'd kick Chrome if I could get the other plugins to work.
-Dell Mini Inspiron 910 Netbook-Atom CPU-N270-1.60ghz; 16gbs mini ePCI PATA SSD
RAM- 1gbs-(LinixMint-17.1: KDE)

minitrucker
Level 3
Level 3

Post by minitrucker » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:56 pm

I'll throw my opinion in for the hell of it

My main browser is FireFox. Reason? The way I've set the preferences and the add-ons that I am using, I have a false sense of security. I say a false sense because I know there is no such thing as internet security.

For everything else that I have FF set up to not allow me to do like flash videos or java heavy sites, I usually stick to chromium. But I'm weird and I also have the consumer version of Chrome is need be, but it usually doesn't get used at all. So stuff like school shit or streaming podcasts, I usually use one of these shiny ones.
I like everything custom. My vehicles, my Operating Systems, my bank accounts....... I guess I'm just spoiled........maybe

Am I Anonymous?
Am I Legion?
Can I Forgive?
I Forget What Happened 15min ago......
Should I expect myself?

RETNUH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RETNUH » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:53 pm

I like Firefox. Chrome/ium is a farily close second.
I don't like to use anything else because I can set up both of them to use custom mouse gestures(as far as I know you can't customize opera's gestures).
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. -Albert Einstein

Formerly known as Luckydog.

Looking for me? Check the IRC I've been hanging out there.

Return to “Chat about Linux”