Best browser for Linux?

Chat about Linux in general
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Best browser for Linux?

Post by MALsPa »

One thing that is bugging me lately about Google Chrome is that there's no way to control where a new tab is placed when you open it. It used to open a new tab at the end, after the last tab, but now it opens a new tab immediately following the tab you're in. That's fine in some cases but I'd like to have some control over it, especially because most of the time I want the new tab to be placed after the last tab. That's still the behavior in the Chromium build that I have installed.
mintyourself
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintyourself »

Chrome, fast, stable, simple.

Never seen any site that couldn't open on chrome though..
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

Superewza wrote:Opera's okay, and i use Opera Mini on my phone but i really wouldn't say it's the best browser for Linux for no reason other than that it isn't Open Source.
Only Linux devs need to worry about that. Us Linux users don't care about the difference between open source or not. That's why we use Linux Mint.
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

I disagree with the above. I, for one, actually care about the software that I use being open source, and I try to make it a point to use open source software over proprietary alternatives unless there aren't really any alternatives (i.e., Flash and Nvidia drivers...the open source counterparts, Gnash and nouveau respectively, aren't up to par yet). I'm also pretty sure that a large part of the Linux population are conscious of the open source philosophy and embrace it...it's one of the key differences between Linux and its mainstream competitors (Windows and Macs, of course).
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
ezas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ezas »

Firefox was crashing too often. (this is in another distro.) So I uninstalled it, wiped all the configuration files and built it back up fresh with only a few extensions. In Mint I'm still using Firefox where its pretty stable. But on XP and my other distro I've switched to Chromium. There are few things I miss like multi-row bookmarks and 'middle click to go back'. But Right Click => Back is not that much harder. For all I know there is a way to get Chromium to do middle click I have not done much exploring under the hood. Maybe I'll start using mouse gestures. It's about flexibility and trying new ways of doing things.

As of couple days ago I started using Chromium more and more. There is a little learning curve to get used to, learn new ways to do things. For instance I need to figure out a way to replace my multirow bookmarks. I'm guessing a SpeedDial tab will take over that function.

I also have Opera installed and sometimes I use it. There is nothing wrong with it and I've used it off and on over the years on Winders, but for some reason it does not keep my attention and I end up using another browser day-to-day.

I've yet to load a page that does not run right under chromium, but I tend to hit the same 5-10 sites a day and nothing I do is very demanding of a browser.

In the end over the course of a month I will use FF, Chromium, Opera and IE. Just depends on my mood and what I'm doing and what OS I'm in. But Chrome/Chromium seems to be becoming my daily browser now that my big three extensions are available for it. Adblock/Flashblock/Xmarks.

Choice is good
unweaving the rainbow
vtired
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vtired »

I use seamonkey, and love it.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

linuxviolin wrote:A problem with Opera is it crashes sometimes often, even with about only 10 tabs in a window... Except this it is quite good (but with the menu bar, not with its default look)
When Opera crashes, next time you'll start it, all your tabs will be reopened. But I admit that it can be a problem if you don't know which tab caused the crash !
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

GoustiFruit wrote:When Opera crashes, next time you'll start it, all your tabs will be reopened. But I admit that it can be a problem if you don't know which tab caused the crash !
Yes, you are right, "When Opera crashes, next time you'll start it, all your tabs will be reopened" but when this happens several times, sometimes repeatedly, it's enough unpleasant... :roll:

But I stay with it and Firefox because there is no really better alternative. I force myself again to try using Chrome but several things I miss (e.g. like I said, I NEED a standard Menu bar, which it lacks) and even if, as I said also, it is a whole of a lot better (than Firefox) indeed, I can not really use it..
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

vincent wrote:I disagree with the above. I, for one, actually care about the software that I use being open source, and I try to make it a point to use open source software over proprietary alternatives unless there aren't really any alternatives (i.e., Flash and Nvidia drivers...the open source counterparts, Gnash and nouveau respectively, aren't up to par yet). I'm also pretty sure that a large part of the Linux population are conscious of the open source philosophy and embrace it...it's one of the key differences between Linux and its mainstream competitors (Windows and Macs, of course).
Then that is what is holding Linux back. The prime supporters and users of it accept it as a way of life instead of an alternative. If you only embrace open source then why are you using Linux Mint, with all of it's bundled proprietary software? Sort of hypocritical.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I also prefer to use open source, but will use proprietary stuff sometimes. @JonM33, I don't agree with you that caring about whether software is open source or not is "holding Linux back." I don't know why you think that is so.

As for Opera, I don't like it as much as Firefox, or as much as Chromium-based browsers. If it was significantly better than other browsers, I might consider using it as my primary browser, but my preference would be to use an open source browser.

The great thing is that we have so many options. There probably isn't any "best browser for Linux," thought.
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

linuxviolin wrote:I force myself again to try using Chrome but several things I miss (e.g. like I said, I NEED a standard Menu bar, which it lacks) and even if, as I said also, it is a whole of a lot better (than Firefox) indeed, I can not really use it..
FireFox 3.7 is supposed to get rid of the menu bar for Chrome-like Page and Tool buttons. :twisted: :P

I would humbly suggest that you take a week and really analyze your menu bar use. What exactly are you doing up there that you couldn't do much more quickly with a keyboard shortcut?
and even if, as I said also, it is a whole of a lot better (than Firefox) indeed, I can not really use it.
Obstinate much? :lol:
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

MALsPa wrote:I also prefer to use open source, but will use proprietary stuff sometimes. @JonM33, I don't agree with you that caring about whether software is open source or not is "holding Linux back." I don't know why you think that is so.
Just my experience, that's all. If Linux fanatics actually do become open minded (like they say they are) then welcoming everything from open source to closed source would benefit the Linux community greatly. Unfortunately there are those hard core fanatics that think anything non-open source is made by Satan himself. Fanatics are what hold Linux back.
MALsPa wrote:As for Opera, I don't like it as much as Firefox, or as much as Chromium-based browsers. If it was significantly better than other browsers, I might consider using it as my primary browser, but my preference would be to use an open source browser.
You would have to give it a chance though. Opera hasn't been updated in quite some time for Linux until 10.60 that just came out. That's the version I just switched to on my Windows system to replace Firefox. I can say that other than lack of extensions, Opera is a far superior browser. The only extension I ever used for Firefox was Adblock Plus anyway, and Opera has that capability too.
MALsPa wrote:The great thing is that we have so many options. There probably isn't any "best browser for Linux," thought.
Well, if the "best browser" has an open source requirement then I guess Firefox is the best. But then again, I don't think Linux Mint developers play by only open source rules anyway (thankfully).
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

JonM33 wrote:You would have to give it a chance though. Opera hasn't been updated in quite some time for Linux until 10.60 that just came out.
Fair enough. I've used Opera in Linux in the past but haven't seen the latest versions.
JonM33 wrote:I can say that other than lack of extensions, Opera is a far superior browser.
The lack of extensions is a deal-killer for me.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

AndrewH wrote:FireFox 3.7 is supposed to get rid of the menu bar for Chrome-like Page and Tool buttons. :twisted: :P

I would humbly suggest that you take a week and really analyze your menu bar use. What exactly are you doing up there that you couldn't do much more quickly with a keyboard shortcut?
If they make like Opera, i.e. get rid the menu bar BUT in the menu button having an option to put back it then I would have no problem and everyone will be happy and will be able to use the browser like (s)he prefer but if they impose this, like Chrome, then I'll stick with Opera (maybe also Midori will have progressed and will be usable... or another)

Developers are stupid. It's like their stupid idea to get rid the protocols, http etc, of the adress bar... Finally what is a protocol? Pfff idiot!

About keyboard shortcut, yes but you know with a browser, except when we write a post like this or a form for instance, we use the mouse a lot, the automatic scrolling also, you know this little function when you click on the page with the middle button and you can go up an down with the mouse for a quick scrolling... :wink:
MALsPa wrote:The lack of extensions is a deal-killer for me.
Well, you know, they are often problematic and for the better stability it is recommended using Firefox with the minimum of extensions... Personally I use Firefox with very few extensions, and sometimes none.

About open or closed source app, even if I would prefer using an open source app, I'll use the application I prefer, open or closed regardless. There are quite good closed source applications and do not use them because they are not open is just stupid.

P.S.= In Chrome you can not install the auto-updater if you want. For that, you must type in a console the command "sudo touch /etc/default/google-chrome" before installing the pack.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

MALsPa wrote:Fair enough. I've used Opera in Linux in the past but haven't seen the latest versions.

Why? Not sure which extensions you use but it is adblock capable, has mouse gestures, voice control, built-in IRC and mail client, widgets, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_o ... eb_browser

I'm sure some of that covers most of the extensions that you use.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

JonM33 wrote:
MALsPa wrote:Fair enough. I've used Opera in Linux in the past but haven't seen the latest versions.

Why? Not sure which extensions you use but it is adblock capable, has mouse gestures, voice control, built-in IRC and mail client, widgets, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Features_o ... eb_browser

I'm sure some of that covers most of the extensions that you use.
I don't use many extensions, but here are the ones I currently have in Firefox:

Adblock Plus
BetterPrivacy
Flashblock
Forecastfox
Tab Mix Plus
Xmarks

Perhaps Opera has something to substitute for each of those, perhaps not. There might be some others I'll want to use in the future. With Firefox, these are all easy to install and to use. It doesn't sound like Opera is better in this regard than Firefox.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

OK, I've installed Opera 10.60 and I'll try to give it a shot. Already finding it annoying that I can't simply add a few extensions for the things I'm used to. But I'll try to keep an open mind about it.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

MALsPa wrote:OK, I've installed Opera 10.60 and I'll try to give it a shot. Already finding it annoying that I can't simply add a few extensions for the things I'm used to. But I'll try to keep an open mind about it.
Extensions weren't magically on Firefox when you first used it. You had to go find them.

With Opera? Go to Menu > Widgets > Get Widgets

It's that easy.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

JonM33 wrote:
MALsPa wrote:OK, I've installed Opera 10.60 and I'll try to give it a shot. Already finding it annoying that I can't simply add a few extensions for the things I'm used to. But I'll try to keep an open mind about it.
Extensions weren't magically on Firefox when you first used it. You had to go find them.

With Opera? Go to Menu > Widgets > Get Widgets

It's that easy.
It doesn't seem to be as easy as you're trying to make it sound. Blocking ads? A couple of clicks in Firefox and Adblock is installed and working. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't look nearly that easy to accomplish the same thing in Opera.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

Blocking ads ? Right click on your page, select "Block content..." then click on each element you want to block !
You can have most of the existing ads automatically blocked by using a premade urlfilter.ini file (tip: http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/), then you'll be able to add your own blocking rules by doing the right-click thing.

Return to “Chat about Linux”