Linux is Not Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Linux is Not Windows

Post by Fred Barclay »

Mintmag wrote: Steve Ballmer calling Linux cancer. That sounds like a laugh, do you have a link or official quote for that.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/06/02 ... _a_cancer/
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Mintmag

Post by Mintmag »

Fred Barclay wrote:
Mintmag wrote: Steve Ballmer calling Linux cancer. That sounds like a laugh, do you have a link or official quote for that.
Thanks that is going to be fun. I would describe the Linux world as communist, but you join of your own free will.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I was labelled as being amongst the anarchist fraternity (in a friendly way) the other night when, having said I wasn't running Windows, the reply to the next question was the obvious one.

He seemed to think that getting "free" software was somehow an underhand way of avoiding paying for something and "a bit naughty", which is how I believe a lot of people have been conditioned to think. I did state that freedom of choice isn't akin to that, as I interpret the meaning of "anarchy" to be a break-down in law and order, but ho-hum ..

Still, another potential Linux convert :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Mintmag

Post by Mintmag »

I like good software more so then free. Sometimes free is better like with VLC, or Waterfox (64bit firefox) other times the paid version is better like with VMware vs Virtualbox. I'll never use virtualbox while I've gott access to VMware
deleted

Post by deleted »

Mintmag wrote: [snip]
I would describe the Linux world as communist
[snip]
...Where everyone works.
-H
Mintmag

Post by Mintmag »

hinto wrote:
Mintmag wrote: [snip]
I would describe the Linux world as communist
[snip]
...Where everyone works.
-H
Where everything is shared and not sharing is frowned upon.
deleted

Post by deleted »

Guess my point was that in reality, there is no communism, since by nature we don't all want to work.
Linux, just like working for "the man" is on a spectrum...
-H
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

The problem with Communism is that if people are forced to share there's no incentive to do a good job. I work hard and grow more vegetables, but I only get as much to eat as the lazy guy on the next field... well I'm going to be lazy next season. Giving freely by choice is something different entirely, without the tendency to despondency. Then of course there are the elite who are always 'more equal than others' in any political system of their creation.
Mintmag

Post by Mintmag »

Linux can also suffer from this to an extent. Remastersys was abandoned which was a really awesome program. If no one picks up the mantel nothing gets done.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

Mintmag wrote:
Fred Barclay wrote:
Thanks that is going to be fun. I would describe the Linux world as communist, but you join of your own free will.
Well, no... the Linux world is broadly anti-System, somewhat anti-capitalist, but not necessarily communist. I feel instead that many "ideological" Linux users are in some way anarchists. I'm "ideological" too, i.e. anti-System, somewhat in between anarchism, populism and marxism (in the last years approaching to marxism, althought in a sui generis way). :lol:
For me using Linux in my everyday life is non only a "pragmatic" choice (convenience, workflow, privacy, etc...) but a mean to fight against the System. 8)
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Hmmm communism, marxism, antisocial anarchist.
I'm just a big fan of free will period which linux gives, no political or social motives invloved.
You take away free will and it all goes down hill from there, no matter what the siduation.
Just like love without free will is nothing more then slavery, being forced to love someone you actually don't want to which is impossible.
All the communist etc ideas are great in theory to some degree but then you always get one dude or dudet that becomes head and it goes to their head and again it goes downhill from there again.

The reason I love linux is all because of free willl, nothing more, except it is great
Out of free will members came together and created an awesome system
nothing to do with money (the curse of humankind), or politics, or anything of the sort, it just became great out of the freedom of free will, no matter what you believe personally.
Just my humble opinion
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Mintmag wrote:
MrTom wrote:SNIP.
There is still so much that you need terminal for though.
I switched from a Mixed OSX and Windows environment at home to all Linux almost 6 years ago and in all that time I have never had to use the terminal. I do use it from time to time just because some things are faster and easier to do in terminal but the same can be said for the Windows command line.
Linux Mint is FAR easier to admin than Windows ever dreamed of being.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

InkKnife wrote:Linux Mint is FAR easier to admin than Windows ever dreamed of being.
I agree with that 100%. And as for the Terminal, I use it because it's there and I find it very useful for a lot of things, not because I have to (except in rare circumstances which are usually easily solved by copying code from this Forum's helpful members anyway, if in trouble) and I appreciate having the Bash history remember what I've done as my memory isn't so great. Nice that I can rely on Linux for that & easy to copy to a file on a new installation.
samriggs wrote:The reason I love linux is all because of free willl, nothing more, except it is great
Out of free will members came together and created an awesome system
nothing to do with money (the curse of humankind), or politics, or anything of the sort, it just became great out of the freedom of free will, no matter what you believe personally.
Just my humble opinion
And a good one :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Ryan_Stevens

Post by Ryan_Stevens »

Linux is the Operating System and we can use Linux like windows or it is not the same as the Windows?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Ryan_Stevens wrote:Linux is the Operating System
Yes. Or more precisely stated, there are Linux-based operating systems, such as Mint.
Ryan_Stevens wrote:and we can use Linux like windows
Yes, we can use Linux-based operating systems, like peope use Windows.
Ryan_Stevens wrote:or it is not the same as the Windows?
It's not the same. But it serves the same functions. It can make your computer work, and the computer can then run applications, and you can use them.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

That's a great explanation, Moem. I wish more could see it that way!
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hello johnwilliams...linux commands list can be found here https://fossbytes.com/a-z-list-linux-co ... reference/ hope this will help you out in your terminal command line journey...DAMIEN
ktaqmkuklnu

Post by ktaqmkuklnu »

Wonderful article. Just cut the cord with Mama Windows after many years of headaches ( even when it worked it never worked the way I wanted it to ). I tried 8 or 9 distros before settling on Linuxmint. Have to say I'm kind of disappointed. It just works! Nothing to fix! Guess I'll fix the boredom by learning how to take it apart and tune it up.
Mintmag

Post by Mintmag »

InkKnife wrote: I switched from a Mixed OSX and Windows environment at home to all Linux almost 6 years ago and in all that time I have never had to use the terminal.
What do you mainly use your computer for and what programs have you installed?
DAMIEN1307 wrote:hello johnwilliams...linux commands list can be found here https://fossbytes.com/a-z-list-linux-co ... reference/ hope this will help you out in your terminal command line journey...DAMIEN
Thanks I just printed this off. It should come with every distribution.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Mintmag wrote:
InkKnife wrote: I switched from a Mixed OSX and Windows environment at home to all Linux almost 6 years ago and in all that time I have never had to use the terminal.
What do you mainly use your computer for and what programs have you installed?
DAMIEN1307 wrote:hello johnwilliams...linux commands list can be found here https://fossbytes.com/a-z-list-linux-co ... reference/ hope this will help you out in your terminal command line journey...DAMIEN
Thanks I just printed this off. It should come with every distribution.
I should clarify. I have never had to use the terminal, there are GUI solutions for everything I do but there are somethings like adding PPAs that are just faster in terminal.
I use my computer for the same things I used my Mac for: Consuming multimedia, general web browsing, editing photographs, light word processing. Ordinary desktop tasks.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux”