Linux is Not Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TomT3rd

Re: Linux is Not Windows

Post by TomT3rd »

It happens, the breach still shows up on pwned.
Last edited by TomT3rd on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcsailor

Post by pcsailor »

carlos wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 am This is an excellent article geared towards those coming from Windows.
Thanks,
Excellent!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

TomT3rd wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:40 pm Cost me some work but managed to stop a credit card charge.
Wow. How did that happen? I mean, how did they use your Linux Mint forum creds to try and get money from your credit card? That sounds scary.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
TomT3rd

Post by TomT3rd »

Sorry for the delayed response. I don`t come here often. I have no idea how it happened.
Last edited by TomT3rd on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomT3rd

Post by TomT3rd »

Here was the date. To be fair Disqus and LindkedIn accounts were also hacked but the information however was not sold off on the black market till after the Mint hack. Here then is the one from Mint.

"Linux Mint: In February 2016, the website for the Linux distro known as Linux Mint was hacked and the ISO infected with a backdoor. The site also ran a phpBB forum which was subsequently put up for sale complete with almost 145k email addresses, passwords and other personal subscriber information."

"Compromised data: Avatars, Dates of birth, Email addresses, Geographic locations, IP addresses, Passwords, Time zones, Website activity" End of report.

Mint went to work right away to correct the hacked forums and spent a good deal of time and money on fixing the problem along with the corrupted iso, as did the other two.
Regards.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

If you reuse weak passwords between the forums and your email/bank accounts, this is entirely your fault. These information could have been stolen from Linux Mint forum hack, or from any other hack in the world. And in my opinion, a Linkedin hack is more valuable to open a Credit.

Now let's go back to the topic: Linux is not Windows.
TomT3rd

Post by TomT3rd »

I did not say it was Mints fault, if you read my comment correctly. The hack happened at Mint forums and that my friend is a fact and I have been using computers long enough to know that strong passwords that are changed often are a must. This is on topic as the point is if your not careful with updates and passwords the system is vulnerable as is windows obviously not as subject to maleware. Your reply is one of the reasons I don`t come here a lot and by the way I have contributed to Mint however I now prefer Arch. Regards.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I think your illustration, TomT3rd is a valid case in point. It matters not what OS or forum we use, we are all vulnerable to attack. The vector usually affects the largest group, hence Windows is going to be more prevalent. You can make numbers say anything you want. I I said 50% of people in town had the flu then that, in itself, might sound bad. If I said 5 people had the flu, you wouldn't bat an eyelid. That figure is referring to the same group, the fact is, there are only 10 people in the town.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:01 pm I think your illustration, TomT3rd is a valid case in point. It matters not what OS or forum we use
A valid point or not, it's still not what this thread is intended for. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

"Linux is Not Windows"...thank heavens. Been Microslop free for 8 years, don't miss the virus paranoia, the maintenance, the crashes, the (built in) spyware, the errors, the built in anti-competition bugs, etc, etc, etc. AAMOF, new PCs and WinDOHS! are two separate products, they should be sold separately, holy anti-trust lawsuit waiting to happen, but for some bizarre reason, it never materialized. :roll:
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

TomT3rd wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:10 pm I did not say it was Mints fault, if you read my comment correctly. The hack happened at Mint forums and that my friend is a fact and I have been using computers long enough to know that strong passwords that are changed often are a must. This is on topic as the point is if your not careful with updates and passwords the system is vulnerable as is windows obviously not as subject to maleware. Your reply is one of the reasons I don`t come here a lot and by the way I have contributed to Mint however I now prefer Arch. Regards.
Oh. A glutton for punishment, eh?

If you think Dude's response harshed your mellow, with until you ask a "stupid" question on the Arch Forum. You ain't seen slings and arrows hurled you way yet...

I asked a maintainer to change the download location of a package because the current package build used and out of date location, and pretty much got called an @$$hole. :shock: Also got told if I couldn't handle a real OS I should go back to Windows. I've been on Linux for ~15 years now. I was also the Novell guy at the GE Helpdesk. Nice bunch of folks they have there. So I said fu...er...goodbye to Arch and came here.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi arch_enemy...lol...i remember a while back that i called you a "glutton for punishment with masochistic tendencies" because you kept going back to manjaro-arch and always came back here just a little scorched for your valiant efforts to make it behave for you, usually ending in a scorched earth policy of destruction and back to the sanity known as Mint...does your last missive here tell us all that you have now been "truly" reformed from being a totally heretical miscreant and are now a "true" believer?...lol...lol...DAMIEN
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:31 pm hi arch_enemy...lol...i remember a while back that i called you a "glutton for punishment with masochistic tendencies" because you kept going back to manjaro-arch and always came back here just a little scorched for your valiant efforts to make it behave for you, usually ending in a scorched earth policy of destruction and back to the sanity known as Mint...does your last missive here tell us all that you have now been "truly" reformed from being a totally heretical miscreant and are now a "true" believer?...lol...lol...DAMIEN
Well, Mint will always be my OS for work, etc.

But, I'm a tinkerer, I love playing with Operating Systems, and I love having total (or, near total) control. Can't beat Arch for that. My issues came mostly from trying to create a portable OS on a USB I can use anywhere and have the options and packages I want right there already installed.

I can make one up with Mint in about 20 minutes. Arch...ugh. It can be done, and as much as I like to tinker, that goes beyond the pale. It's a horrendous process. People have made tools to make it happen, and have had success, but it's just too much effort for something I can do with Mint easily.

So, no, I am with Mint to stay, but I'm sure there will be an occasional excursion to the Dark Side...:D

BTW, I tried Mint ~2006 after a bout with Vista. I decided it was just too simplistic. See how much I learned in 11 years? ;)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I had to let the Spouse-Unit use my Linux laptop and she utterly freaked since "it was not windows, and she does not know how to use anything other than windows!" I patiently explained, it was just like windows in how it operated, she used it and complained the whole time. Sometimes we will never get people to change no matter "how much like windows it becomes". My dad never noticed that he was not using Windows 98/XP and he has not had a single tech support issue since I got him the laptop. I just never told him it was Linux.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I understand your frustration MurphCID, my Girlfriend-Unit has Linux installed on her computer. Works a lot better, really a lot better then when she had Windows installed. No errors whatsoever, besides her suspend function not working.

The few complaints that she does have occasionally are all about Gmail. She cant find posts in her Gmail account, or Gmail is working slow, that sort of complaints. And she blames Linux for it. I explain to her nicely again and again that Gmail is NOT Linux. :oops:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

carum carvi wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:19 pm I understand your frustration MurphCID, my Girlfriend-Unit has Linux installed on her computer. Works a lot better, really a lot better then when she had Windows installed. No errors whatsoever, besides her suspend function not working.

The few complaints that she does have occasionally are all about Gmail. She cant find posts in her Gmail account, or Gmail is working slow, that sort of complaints. And she blames Linux for it. I explain to her nicely again and again that Gmail is NOT Linux. :oops:
I feel your pain. Mine can never remember her passwords, so I have to write them down for her in a book, then she cannot remember how to log in to things. I should have just converted her to Linux Mint and not told her, she probably would never have known the difference. My dad still thinks his laptop is running Windows 98/XP, and he thinks Libre Office is Microsoft Office (I set it to save as Office format), and set up his programs so all he has to do is click on the desktop. My brother who lives near him does what little tech support he needs. Since we converted him on his laptop (and now his old Dell desktop), to Mint, he does not crash his computer 3-4 times a week. Unfortunately the Spouse-Unit (Star Trek 1 reference here), demands Microsoft Office since she uses Word and Excel at work. The kids switch between Windows and Linux without much fuss. The only thing they have issues with is the Mac, they hate the Mac O/S, since it is just too different. I had to set up her YouTube links on the ribbon and made folders for all her sewing, and crafting videos so she just points and clicks. Oddly enough she tolerates the Chromebook more than she does Mint. I, however, see NO purpose in owning a Chromebook since if you have no internet connection they are useless.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:15 am I should have just converted her to Linux Mint and not told her, she probably would never have known the difference.
Indeed. Sometimes it seems to be the only way. I have a rellie who won't do anything he considers "technical". :roll:
MurphCID wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:15 am I, however, see NO purpose in owning a Chromebook since if you have no internet connection they are useless.
Agreed 100%. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:15 am Mine can never remember her passwords, so I have to write them down for her in a book, then she cannot remember how to log in to things. I should have just converted her to Linux Mint and not told her, she probably would never have known the difference.
MurphCID, maybe you can create a fake Windows logo at startup and use the same Windows desktop background on the Linux computer and tell her she has Windows installed again. :D Maybe she wont notice. I have installed the exact same Windows desktop background for my girlfriend on her Linux OS. She doesnt notice the difference in browser. Gmail is the same on any computer. But she still blames Linux for problems in Gmail.

My girlfriend complained about the many passwords as well. I reluctantly enabled automated login in Firefox, but I warned her not automate her passwords for banking etc. I must remind myself of checking that she really did NOT automate her banking accounts logins on her laptop. :oops:
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

carum carvi wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:15 am Mine can never remember her passwords, so I have to write them down for her in a book, then she cannot remember how to log in to things. I should have just converted her to Linux Mint and not told her, she probably would never have known the difference.
MurphCID, maybe you can create a fake Windows logo at startup and use the same Windows desktop background on the Linux computer and tell her she has Windows installed again. :D Maybe she wont notice. I have installed the exact same Windows desktop background for my girlfriend on her Linux OS. She doesnt notice the difference in browser. Gmail is the same on any computer. But she still blames Linux for problems in Gmail.

My girlfriend complained about the many passwords as well. I reluctantly enabled automated login in Firefox, but I warned her not automate her passwords for banking etc. I must remind myself of checking that she really did NOT automate her banking accounts logins on her laptop. :oops:
No kidding on the passwords. I might try using windows backgrounds....
Mintmag

Post by Mintmag »

Is this thing still going on. This thread is 12 years old now. Please move on. Maybe lock it down.

Return to “Chat about Linux”