Linux is Not Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux is Not Windows

Post by MurphCID »

Understood, I started Linux 1999-2000 with Mandrake 7 which was great, although it had NO real driver support, but it was fun to use. And you could load up lots of different window managers to try out.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Old thread but the answer is still the same...thank God Linux isn't Windows. Image :lol: :lol: :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Brock44
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brock44 »

And thank the makers for that..

I finally moved to Mint 18.3 about 18 months ago, after a year of trying different distros (Bodhi, Manjaro, Debian, OpenSuse, Kali, Anix, KDE Neon, and others) in VMs and live. I just always kept coming back to the simplicity and just-worked-ness of Mint.

I still dual boot WIn 7 as I occasionally maintain an old complex audio project and have not yet found a comparable audio editor for in Linux. Its pretty rare that I boot into Windows anymore but I was not expecting to feel is the profound sense of uneasiness I get whenever I have to use WIndows. Win really gives me the Willies now. I can't boot back into Mint fast enough. ICK, ICK , ICK!!

I have so little patience for Windows now. I can't believe how annoyed I get with the kinds of things in WIndows I just used to accept as normal and computing reality. A while back I had to get a video projector and an audio device going for a video presentation. I screwed around for an hour and a half with Windows trying to get an audio driver working before I just gave up. I booted up my Mint laptop, plugged everything in and it just worked flawlessly.

Linux really is the way computers should have been working all along.

I love how easy networking is to get going with Linux. I love the absolute TON of command line tools available for networking functions in Linux. When I have had to deal with networking in Win you just get this feeling that this needless complexity is just really because they have built the whole thing out of patches upon patches, kludge upon kludge and whole industries have sprung up to normalize this shitty system.

So now I have a 100% Linux Mint household (Plus Raspbian on some Pis). I'm never going back.

I am very dismayed though, when after discovering all of this greatness, I am learning of the collapse of the Linux Foundation, the theft of open source code and products for use in proprietary garbage and the creeping tentacles of Microsoft and other industry giants in what I can only see as a very slow hostile takeover. (I have seen it happen in other industries. People deny when it is happening, until they go to their office one day and the doors are locked)

Long Live Linux!!!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I occasionally maintain an old complex audio project and have not yet found a comparable audio editor for in Linux.
Take a look at Ubuntu Studio too then.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

michael louwe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:20 am
Moem wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:05 am
michael louwe wrote: wrote: ⤴
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:50 pm
In 2006, desktop Linux did not work out-of-the-box in some computers and was practically unusable by newbies/noobs and ordinary/average computer users.

In 2006, maybe desktop Linux crashed more than Windows (XP).? = requiring reinstalls or replacements.
Not sure how that is relevant to the conversation either. Safe and stable and usable are three very different things. And 'maybe' doesn't tell us much.

I asked you: Do you consider Windows to be inherently safer than Linux-based OSses? Why all the song and dance? 'No, I do not' is a valid answer if that's applicable.
In 2006, when newbies attempted to run desktop Linux, they might find it not working ootb; if working ootb they often found it unusable and might crash it after they clicked the wrong thing or entered the wrong Terminal command = less stable and less safe to ride a Linux computer.
....... In 2006, when newbies attempted to run Win XP, they often found it working ootb and easy to use = stable and safe to drive a Windows computer.

Of course for techgeeks, desktop Linux and Windows made no difference in 2006. Hence, desktop Linux has about 2% world market share since 2006.
And new users miss all the fun of recompiling a new kernel to make your Parallel-Port ZiP drive work.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:20 pm Understood, I started Linux 1999-2000 with Mandrake 7 which was great, although it had NO real driver support, but it was fun to use. And you could load up lots of different window managers to try out.
Same here. Got it in the back of a book at Staples.

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I really miss that "feature" from Mandrake where you could load different window managers and find one you liked. Back in the day, I think I spent more time in KDE than in anything else.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:06 am I really miss that "feature" from Mandrake where you could load different window managers and find one you liked. Back in the day, I think I spent more time in KDE than in anything else.
KDE was always too "heavy" for me. It looked good, but with a lot of overhead.

I settled on Gnome2 a long time ago, and now use Mate.

There are "lighter weight" desktop managers, but I don't care for them much.

Face it: most people learn on Windows, so I like things that are more Windows like.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Ditto. Kubuntu 12.04, then Mint MATE.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Or even Lubuntu...DAMIEN
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:29 pm Or even Lubuntu...DAMIEN
Unfortunately, Lubuntu will lose its current useful niche in the lightweight market.... Lubuntu 20.04 will have LXQt instead of the LXDE that Lubuntu 18.04 still has. Which means: not ultra lightweight anymore. :(
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Pjotr wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:40 am
DAMIEN1307 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:29 pm Or even Lubuntu...DAMIEN
Unfortunately, Lubuntu will lose its current useful niche in the lightweight market.... Lubuntu 20.04 will have LXQt instead of the LXDE that Lubuntu 18.04 still has. Which means: not ultra lightweight anymore. :(
Pardon my ignorance, but why is going to LXQT an issue? Is it not small and fast compared to Gnome? I am not sure I understand the difference between LXQT and LXDE?
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:56 pm
MurphCID wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:06 am I really miss that "feature" from Mandrake where you could load different window managers and find one you liked. Back in the day, I think I spent more time in KDE than in anything else.

There are "lighter weight" desktop managers, but I don't care for them much.

Face it: most people learn on Windows, so I like things that are more Windows like.
It was heavy, but back then, I did not really know anything, and KDE just seemed closer to what I was familiar with at the time. Some of the other window managers were just odd to me. However, I really loved that feature that allowed me to try more than one WM.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

I wasn't paying attention.

I do that now.

Depending on your login manager, there is a down pointing caret, or a "gear" on the login window. You click that and select your choice of WMs.

In KDE, on my system, it was in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. It said "Plasma", but when you click it the other WMs appear.

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Thank goodness Linux is not like MS Windows.

I have been trying for a week to get Win10 to do network file sharing, to no avail.

took me all of 5 minutes on Mint 18.3
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Chat about Linux”