Linux is Not Windows

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Linux is Not Windows

Post by Moem »

carum carvi wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:17 pm I warned her not automate her passwords for banking etc. I must remind myself of checking that she really did NOT automate her banking accounts logins on her laptop. :oops:
Most banking websites don't allow it. And that's a good thing.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Mintmag wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:34 am Is this thing still going on. This thread is 12 years old now. Please move on. Maybe lock it down.
Not your call really. Maybe if you'd been the OP.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

It is still a valid thread, especially for new posters.
Mintmag

Post by Mintmag »

Spearmint2 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 am
Mintmag wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:34 am Is this thing still going on. This thread is 12 years old now. Please move on. Maybe lock it down.
Not your call really. Maybe if you'd been the OP.
I don't care really. This thread is old and has gone way off topic. I just don't see the use in it anymore.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

It's not quite the same as a technical thread which MUST stay on topic. It's just Chat.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Of course it's still relevant Linux has yet to be bought out by Mickeysoft and incorporated into Windwoes os it still remains NOT WINDOPES! Of which I am glad. Anyway, especially in General Chat, isn't thread drift the norm? This one is just tying to set a new drifting record.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:04 am Anyway, especially in General Chat, isn't thread drift the norm?
For the mods, yes, in general. For a certain other, no.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

carlos wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:55 am This is an excellent article geared towards those coming from Windows. Please read this first it will help set your expectations of linux and hopefully help you stick it out through the times when things are just not working out.

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

It really helped me out when I first started using linux. I hope that you can find it helpful. :)
You'd be amazed how many people make this complaint.
They come to Linux, expecting to find essentially a free, open-source version of Windows.
- Quite often, this is what they've been told to expect by over-zealous Linux users.
However, it's a paradoxical hope.
Coming back on topic, seems, after 12 years from the OP's first post above, nothing much has changed in the desktop Linux world, ie some Linux techgeeks have been in a self-righteous and self-deluding world of their own, and detached from the real world of business and FOSS-usability-and-viability.

One thing the author of the linked 2006 article is "right" about - Windows was like a car(= stable and safe to drive on) and Linux was like a motorbike(= less stable and less safe or more dangerous to ride on)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

michael louwe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:05 am One thing the author of the linked 2006 article is "right" about - Windows was like a car(= stable and safe to drive on) and Linux was like a motorbike(= less stable and less safe or more dangerous to ride on)
Do you consider Windows to be inherently safer than Linux-based OSses? That's a new one to me.
In any case, I drive a car for practical reasons... but I vastly prefer riding my motorbike; make of that what you will. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Moem wrote:. .
. Studies and statistics regarding motorcycle accidents have proven:

Deaths in motorcycle accidents are approximately 30 times higher than fatalities in car accidents

Motorcycle riders over the age of 40 are approximately 20 times more likely to be injured in an accident than car drivers of the same age

Motorcycle riders under the age of 40 are approximately 36 times more likely to be fatally injured in an accident than drivers that are the same age

Motorcycle accidents result either in injury or death 8 percent of the time, while only 20 percent of car accidents result in injury or death

Motorcycles represent approximately 2 percent of registered vehicles, but approximately 5 percent of all highway fatalities.
https://www.dolmanlaw.com/motorcycle-ac ... accidents/

In 2006, desktop Linux did not work out-of-the-box in some computers and was practically unusable by newbies/noobs and ordinary/average computer users.

In 2006, maybe desktop Linux crashed more than Windows (XP).? = requiring reinstalls or replacements.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Not sure why you are telling me this. All bikers realise, if they have an ounce of common sense, that riding a motorcycle comes with inherent risks which are considerably higher than those associated with driving a car. And bikers who do not realise that will generally not get old.

Honest question: do you think you are telling me something new?
michael louwe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:50 am In 2006, desktop Linux did not work out-of-the-box in some computers and was practically unusable by newbies/noobs and ordinary/average computer users.

In 2006, maybe desktop Linux crashed more than Windows (XP).? = requiring reinstalls or replacements.
Not sure how that is relevant to the conversation either. Safe and stable and usable are three very different things. And 'maybe' doesn't tell us much.

I asked you: Do you consider Windows to be inherently safer than Linux-based OSses? Why all the song and dance? 'No, I do not' is a valid answer if that's applicable.

michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Moem wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:05 am
michael louwe wrote: wrote: ⤴
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:50 pm
In 2006, desktop Linux did not work out-of-the-box in some computers and was practically unusable by newbies/noobs and ordinary/average computer users.

Not sure how that is relevant to the conversation either. Safe and stable and usable are three very different things. And 'maybe' doesn't tell us much.

I asked you: Do you consider Windows to be inherently safer than Linux-based OSses? Why all the song and dance? 'No, I do not' is a valid answer if that's applicable.
In 2006, when newbies attempted to run desktop Linux, they might find it not working ootb; if working ootb they often found it unusable and might crash it after they clicked the wrong thing or entered the wrong Terminal command = less stable and less safe to ride a Linux computer.
....... In 2006, when newbies attempted to run Win XP, they often found it working ootb and easy to use = stable and safe to drive a Windows computer.

Of course for techgeeks, desktop Linux and Windows made no difference in 2006. Hence, desktop Linux has about 2% world market share since 2006.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Apparently, answering direct questions is a bridge too far. Okay then.

michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Moem wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:05 am Not sure why you are telling me this. All bikers realise, if they have an ounce of common sense, that riding a motorcycle comes with inherent risks which are considerably higher than those associated with driving a car. And bikers who do not realise that will generally not get old.
Isn't it stupid for the author of the linked 2006 article to liken Linux to motorbikes and liken Windows to cars.?
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

In 2006. I think I was "riding" SUSE Linux 6.? (KDE3) motorbike alongside Windows XP car. :mrgreen: Both where safe and easy to setup and ride even though, at the time, it was my very first contact with Linux.

Cheers :D
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Actually Even back then I'd have considered Linux like truck an Windwoes like a motor bike. Linux just lumbered along and nothing would phase it. Windows would crash at any moment something decided to run into it. Nothing much has changed, except that now Windows also has few drinks under its belt. (Not a good idea when you ride a bike:D)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

ColdBootII wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:53 am In 2006. I think I was "riding" SUSE Linux 6.? (KDE3) motorbike alongside Windows XP car. :mrgreen: Both where safe and easy to setup and ride even though, at the time, it was my very first contact with Linux.

Cheers :D
I might have also tried SUSE back then, but the "RTFM" crowd ruined it for me again. So it was not till 2014/2015 that I tried Linux again. Then it was Ubuntu, and later Mint. Back then in 2006 Linux was pretty much still unusable by normal computer users, with a shocking lack of drivers, and hardware support.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

lsemmens wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:47 am Actually Even back then I'd have considered Linux like truck an Windwoes like a motor bike. Linux just lumbered along and nothing would phase it. Windows would crash at any moment something decided to run into it. Nothing much has changed, except that now Windows also has few drinks under its belt. (Not a good idea when you ride a bike:D)
If you could get it set up and running in the first place! That was the trick, getting it up and running by normal people.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

2006, I played around with Knoppix 4 & 5, but never tried to use it as a main system. All the programs starting with "K" was a turn off, and to be honest constantly confusing at the time. "Initiating Startup Sequence", LOL. I did however consider it the best alternative to try out at that time. I stayed with Windows though as main system till 2013. Looking for something to replace XP which was due to lose support in 2014, I actually moved fully to Kubuntu 12.04 then, and into Mint 14 later. I'd tried Vista Premium a couple months, stripped it down to about a Starter version use, but it still failed to impress me.
ColdBootII

Post by ColdBootII »

MurphCID wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:18 am I might have also tried SUSE back then, but the "RTFM" crowd ruined it for me again. So it was not till 2014/2015 that I tried Linux again. Then it was Ubuntu, and later Mint. Back then in 2006 Linux was pretty much still unusable by normal computer users, with a shocking lack of drivers, and hardware support.
I made a slight mistake. 2006. I was on Fedora. SUSE 6.4 as the first contact, came in 2001 actually. But I kept dual booting till 2012. as I was very much guilty of spending time roaming around Vilcabamba and similar places. :mrgreen:

Never had much of the driver issues. For me, it was just that playing games through an emulator was inferior and I think gaming counts as the topmost reason why Windows holds the biggest chunk of market share up to this day.

Cheers.

Return to “Chat about Linux”