best non-mint distro

Chat about Linux in general
MerelyJim
Level 3
Level 3

Re: best non-mint distro

Post by MerelyJim »

sam500 wrote:Tried CrunchBang on an ageing Toshiba and it's very slick. Will stick with it if I can get my USB wireless to work (so far without success).
If the Toshiba has a Realtek wifi chipset, they have drivers on their website. Easy install from the command line...
Um... you have a back-up copy,right?
My attempt at a blog; http://jims2011.blogspot.com/
sam500
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sam500 »

MerelyJim wrote:
sam500 wrote:Tried CrunchBang on an ageing Toshiba and it's very slick. Will stick with it if I can get my USB wireless to work (so far without success).
If the Toshiba has a Realtek wifi chipset, they have drivers on their website. Easy install from the command line...
Thanks for the advice. It's a Planex USB dongle bought in Japan that may or may not have Linux compatibility. USB wifi is relatively cheap these days, so can shop around if necessary.
LMDE
TuxNerd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TuxNerd »

Been playing around a lot with a few other distros lately...

Ubuntu Studio - works well, didnt have any need to fully install it or keep it but its decent if you need that kind of thing.

Ubuntu Netbook - was not a fan. Unity? Nope, wont be using that. Tried to get into it, but I really hate busy desktops.

Fedora 14 - very very nice, before putting LMDE on my machine I had this installed for a short time, very impressed with it, everything worked on the laptop well and had a good feel about it. Would recommend it to anyone.

Arch Linux - again, a fine distro but didnt see it as anything special.

Sabayon 5.4 - very impressed with it, same cannot be said for their website, but its a good OS, really like the look and feel of the default install.
MerelyJim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MerelyJim »

TuxNerd wrote:Fedora 14 - very very nice, before putting LMDE on my machine I had this installed for a short time, very impressed with it, everything worked on the laptop well and had a good feel about it. Would recommend it to anyone.
I've also heard a lot of good things about Fedora. It's just that when I look at third-party apps, there's almost always a Debian package you can make work, whereas to others... meh.
dante19992
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dante19992 »

i liked peppermint and opensuse was a meh.
mati75
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mati75 »

In my opinion is Debian Sid.
MerelyJim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MerelyJim »

I tried installing the straight, from the distro-website, version of Debian 6 earlier today, and it wouldn't pick-up my 802.11 chipset on my three-year-old Acer laptop. It would appear that there's still a pretty big difference in a ditro based on Debian, and Debian itself.

Ah, well, there's always the 2013 release...
timmer1240
Level 1
Level 1

Post by timmer1240 »

http://susestudio.com/ if anyones interested in open suse you can build your own version right here.
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Puppy Linux by a mile. But be aware, its weakness is it is so different, but its strength is that it is so different. :)
kwevej
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwevej »

Arch (btw for its documentation)
MerelyJim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MerelyJim »

kwevej wrote:Arch (btw for its documentation)
I like the concept of Arch, but it seems like I'd be using most of my time figuring out how to get everything working and maintaining the installation, rather than using it.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

TuxNerd wrote:Fedora 14 - very very nice, before putting LMDE on my machine I had this installed for a short time, very impressed with it, everything worked on the laptop well and had a good feel about it. Would recommend it to anyone.
MerelyJim wrote:I've also heard a lot of good things about Fedora.
Yes, Fedora 14 is not bad, even quite good... Also Russian Fedora Remix is not bad, quite interesting. :wink:
MerelyJim wrote:It's just that when I look at third-party apps, there's almost always a Debian package you can make work, whereas to others... meh.
I have no problem with the "third-party apps" I use in Fedora, even those I have installed "by hand". You often find RPM packages of the apps on the web sites...

Pardus is also interesting (specially the new Pardus Corporate 2 is interesting. It has KDE 3.5.10)

Salix can be interesting too and also Calculate Linux (you can look here for it if you want more info about it...)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
toad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by toad »

Arch is not what I'd call a "kde" distro - no gtk integration by default and everything is vanilla. I love it and wouldn't have anything else on my computer (apart from LMDE since a few days ago as a backup).

For a smooth KDE experience, however, Suse is slick but I'd give Sabayon a try as well. And then there is Chakra, of course!
never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

Hey Toad :)
It's Craig who has chatted with you on the kubuntu forums...welcome to LMDE :wink:
toad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by toad »

:mrgreen:
never trust a toad...
Elisa

Post by Elisa »

Yeah, Toad is well-known Kubuntu geek :lol:
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

toad wrote:I'd give Sabayon a try as well. And then there is Chakra, of course!
I prefer Calculate to Sabayon and Chakra, hmm, maybe you should/could look at some reviews on the web like e.g. DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 390, 31 January 2011... :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
toad
Level 1
Level 1

Post by toad »

linuxviolin wrote:
toad wrote:I'd give Sabayon a try as well. And then there is Chakra, of course!
I prefer Calculate to Sabayon and Chakra, hmm, maybe you should/could look at some reviews on the web like e.g. DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 390, 31 January 2011... :roll:
Calculate? Interesting. Never heard of it before which naturally doesn't mean a thing. Forum contributions appear to be minimal though, general discussion hasn't even hit 100 posts at the time of writing. Is it yours? If so, blow your trumpet here!

I haven't used any of the distros I mentioned - I use ArchLinux as my primary production OS and have done so for the the past three years without any probs. For some reason my wires got crossed and I thought this thread was about KDE distros, hence my reply. Sorry about that, prolly a senior moment :lol:

Naturally I go for anything that works on my computer! Aptosid comes to mind, but it isn't as up to date as Arch and as for the variety of software available, well, any Debian based distro, great and comprehensive as their pool might be, will not come close to Arch's AUR repository.

Sooooo... failing Mint LMDE I'd go for another (read any other) rolling release distro.

After all, this release business is something inherited from other operating systems which were not able to draw upon such an invigorating and innovative environment such as open source. afaik there is LMDE, ArchLinux and aptosid at the mo, but I am just waiting to be proved wrong :)
never trust a toad...
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Senior moment or not toad, your command of written language is second to none. :D
craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

And really good move toad, installing LMDE...i am sure you will enjoy it...Linux Mint has always been excellent and LMDE even more so :mrgreen:
Looks pretty nice for a gnome distro doesn't it? (i know you are a big KDE fan) :wink:

This is my first rolling distro...and the thought of not having to (or being tempted to) re-install every 6 months is wonderful...I hope Mint and LMDE never goes away...

Return to “Chat about Linux”