Windows is cheaper and better than Linux!! No, really.

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Windows is cheaper and better than Linux!! No, really.

Post by viking777 »

It says so here:

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/11/02/2 ... To-Windows

Of course I haven't read even 10% of the (to date) 860 replies to this post (who has?) But nevertheless it seems a sad indictment of either commercial Linux vendors or maybe Linux itself, at first reading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Windows is cheaper and better than Linux!! No, really.

Post by DrHu »

viking777 wrote:Of course I haven't read even 10% of the (to date) 860 replies to this post (who has?) But nevertheless it seems a sad indictment of either commercial Linux vendors or maybe Linux itself, at first reading.
..a sad indictment of either commercial Linux vendors or maybe Linux itself
Not at all!!!
  • It is more an indictment of standard business practice, which is in the first place; never make any decision, never change anything as long as it (seems to be) is working: aka inertia
  • I don't even have to read it to tell you what their main point will be
If you use windows OS and windows applications, Linux will not be a solution for you, since you will have to redevelop those systems on Linux, as well as provide additional training to switch your users (and this is part of the spin: what they now know) to Linux which won't have the same level of support as we do

OK, I caved in and had a quick look, and as expected the main reasons were..
  • The government's response to the SPD's question states that, although open source has demonstrated its worth, particularly on servers, the cost of adapting and extending it, for example in writing printer and scanner drivers, and of training, have proved greater than anticipated
..although open source has demonstrated its worth, particularly on servers
They emphasize servers, of course, because the biggest expense in any enterprise is the desktop and controlling and managing applications fo that user pool..
  • Training et all!
toad

Post by toad »

You make it sound as if this decision was based on a proper decision making process.

Well, there are always two ways to look at something.

The other way is that Guido Westerwelle, leader of the FDP (German neo capitalist party), is the Foreign Minister and as such responsible for the Foreign Ministry. An outspoken and fervent neo capitalist (aka Thatcherite) is unlikely to herald the dawn of Open Source, hence this is a political decision, much as the way Munich is still pushing ahead with Linux as it is governed by Christian Ude from the SPD (social democrats).

Just a different take...
germanix

Post by germanix »

I did not read the post in slashdot.org. There was no need for me to do that as I had already read the original press release by the german authorities. In this original release they did offer these excuses as already explained above by DrHu but the most important reason given by the german-foreign-office as to why they have stopped using linux was that 90% of their employees refused to work with Linux. There was such a strong "resistance to change" from the side of the employees that they had to give in and change back to Windows.
So basically the employees were not prepared to go through the stress of having to learn something new. They felt comfortable with what they already knew (Windows) and saw no benefit for them in changing that.
People are often reluctant to change the way they are doing things. A pity really, for new things can be a great adventure and opens your mind to other viewpoints.
So the bottom line is: The government did not find that Windows were cheaper (it was just part of their excuse to save face), the real truth is they could not sell the idea of Linux on the desktop to their employees.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

viking777 wrote:It says so here:

Of course I haven't read even 10% of the (to date) 860 replies to this post (who has?) But nevertheless it seems a sad indictment of either commercial Linux vendors or maybe Linux itself, at first reading.
You have the more complete article at http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/ ... 91122.html

I have already talked about this German come back in another post (here, among other things)... Let me repeat it here :wink: :
Even the German Foreign Office has no more desktop Linux systems. The German government has confirmed that the German Foreign Office is to switch back to Windows desktop systems. And yet, "the Foreign Office started migrating its servers to Linux in 2001 and since 2005 has also used open source software such as Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice on its desktop systems. Mobile systems use a Debian GNU/Linux based Linux and office PCs are configured with a dual Windows / Linux boot.

Back in 2007, the Foreign Office's IT department regarded the use of open source software on servers and desktop systems as a success story (...) The use of Linux desktop systems in the Foreign Office also acted as a beacon for the use of open source software in other government departments.

Now the Foreign Office is back-pedalling." etc etc.

You can read about this here.

As said in a comment:
Terrible hit for FOSS

This is a really terrible hit for FOSS, as its government use has
historically been key to backing claims of lower TCO etc.

When one of the earliest and most prominent adopters of FOSS for govs
backs out of it, further FOSS adoption elsewhere might be seriously
hurt.
DrHu wrote:standard business practice, which is in the first place; never make any decision, never change anything as long as it (seems to be) is working: aka inertia
Inertia? Never make any decision? lol As said above they were "one of the earliest and most prominent adopters of FOSS for govs"... :roll:
DrHu wrote:They emphasize servers, of course, because the biggest expense in any enterprise is the desktop
Also because the problem is the desktop... Linux as server or embedded Linux in some device or another are great. Sure thing.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Troy

Post by Troy »

I only read a little bit but a good note is all the license the government will have to buy. I don't know what a copy of Windows cost (maybe $150, IDK) but all this money will go to an American company. If anything its a nice pay check to an American company that fails on every thing else besides Windows.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

So basically the employees were not prepared to go through the stress of having to learn something new.
And Germany doesn't have any unemployed people that are prepared to learn something new?

Harsh I know, but when I was working 'harsh' was the norm. If I had turned round to my employers and said something like the statement above I would have been shown the door in double quick time!
solar1951
Level 4
Level 4

Post by solar1951 »

viking777 wrote:
So basically the employees were not prepared to go through the stress of having to learn something new.
And Germany doesn't have any unemployed people that are prepared to learn something new?

Harsh I know, but when I was working 'harsh' was the norm. If I had turned round to my employers and said something like the statement above I would have been shown the door in double quick time!
Maybe you didn't have a strong union behind you - German unions are strong and work in partnership with the employers.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Maybe you didn't have a strong union behind you
And How!!

Return to “Chat about Linux”