Linux on Smartphone?

Chat about Linux in general
mehmet7
Level 2
Level 2

Linux on Smartphone?

Post by mehmet7 »

As I have read some posts, regarding mobilephones: Would it actually be possible to load any Linux OS (small distros like puppy etc.) up your smartphone? Just a theoretical question, curious and would like to try it...has anybody tried?

ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux on Smartphone?

Post by ThistleWeb »

I'd doubt it. Android, Symbian, Meego & Maemo are all Linux, I think even WebOS is Linux too, it's not possinle to buy a device with one OS and swap it for another like a generic PC. As far as I understand, Maemo is a proper Linux, so you can apt-get install stuff etc but that's about as close as you're gonna get.
Crivens!

mehmet7
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mehmet7 »

cool thanks for the quick answer

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

There is a Debian OS ... EasyDebian for Nokia smartphones. :P

I'm trying to replace Android OS on my internet Tablet with Debian or Meego . . . they say it's possible.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

daemox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daemox »

vrkalak wrote:There is a Debian OS ... EasyDebian for Nokia smartphones. :P

I'm trying to replace Android OS on my internet Tablet with Debian or Meego . . . they say it's possible.
It's possible to dual boot Ubuntu / Debian / Android / Maemo / Meego on the Nokia N900. The OS's need to be ARM compatible, and compatible with the specific ARM hardware of the given device. I'm just getting into researching this, but with the right hardware it is possible.

Cheers!

mehmet7
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mehmet7 »

Wow interesting! I guess, more simple models like the NOkia C3 are harder to upgrade? Or, as an alternative an older LG KPT 610? I could use the LG to play around as I dont really use it

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Most modern phones have teams working on porting portable OSes to them these days, Android phones get Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 7 phones get android etc. I have a Samsung Jet which uses Samsung's own OS, though there are people working on Android for it (though I'm waiting until they get the GSM working before I try it).

However, if you are planning on trying any of these on a phone you need to be aware that it comes with some risk. You usually have to flash the bootloader, which is likely to invalidate any warranty that you have, and could potentially brick the phone if anything goes wrong.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

Return to “Chat about Linux”