My call for a fast booting distro

Chat about Linux in general
mychance
Level 3
Level 3

My call for a fast booting distro

Post by mychance »

Hi !

I love Mint, which the best distro for me, and I like also multi boot systems which eventually suits any particular needs I can have. One of those is to be able to start up my laptop very fast for a quick look at my emails and I have always been in a search for an ideal distro in that matter: fast boot and nothing sophisticated beside a web browser and a basic word processing software. I have tried quite of bit of those tiny distros (puppy, xpud, mandriva instantOn, etc.) but could never be satisfied in one aspect or another. I was then wondering if any of you had ever tried a distro that could meet these criterias:

1. FAST BOOT. I mean in a range of 20-25 seconds max.

2. FULL FUNCTIONALITY AT THE WELCOME SCREEN. This is where I get disapointed with most of the tiny distros. They can boot fast all right but then you have to wait til the network manager make its connection.

3. MANAGE AUTOMATIC CONNECTION AT AN HIDDEN NETWORK. Xpud would be great for me but I have to manually connect to the hdden wifi network. I loose there all the precious seconds gained with the fast boot.

Any suggestions ?
Aspire One 150
Quad boot, Linux Mint, Xpud, Moblin and Win XP
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: My call for a fast booting distro

Post by ThistleWeb »

I thought you meant "fast" when you said "fast boot". My P4 desktop and netbook both boot in around 30 secs, which I consider OK, I'm not exactly poised like a sprinter over the keyboard waiting for it to come up. Meego does boot quite quickly, there's also Splashtop, Crunchbang is pretty quick too.
Crivens!
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG »

That really depends, on my laptop and netbook Mint boots in under 30 sec. That's like saying you want a car that will go 100mph but not saying how fast you want to get there or saying a stereo puts out 100 watts without saying with how much harmonic distortion. Telling one side of the story is useless. We need to know what your hardware is.

You can speed up boot by trimming unused services and startup apps.

But my choice for a fast and light distro is a trimmed down ChruncBang 10.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

The fastest distro on my netbook (Asus Eee 1001P) was Meego 1.1: http://meego.com/downloads/releases/1.1 ... 1-netbooks

Crunchbang, Archbang, Debian LXDE and Knoppix are also very fast but for your needs you may want to build a Debian or Arch based system with just what you need.
Lostwithaclue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lostwithaclue »

I just timed Linux Mint 10 LXDE from start on a VM to inputting my userid and password was 35 seconds. Once they were entered it took 8 more seconds for the splash screen and network connection to be made. You may want to try this on a computer instead of VM to see if it's any faster for you.
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

I don't really understand what the desire for boot speed is about. With that said you say that tiny distros (meaning to me that they are distros that have limited functionality) are quick except they make you wait for the network manager make its connection, but you don't say how long that takes. You say you are looking for 20-25 seconds to reach full functionality but by definition the tiny distros are not fully functional. Now I just shut down my computer and timed how long it took for me to get back to this post and thus be fully functional meaning I can do anything I desire without waiting on my computer. It took me about 45 seconds and that includes some delay for me to react and click on the right icon and press the right buttons/keys and for Firefox to open. What would be the advantage of doing any faster? I mean I felt very rushed to make myself work that fast. If you take the person out of the equation then I suspect the boot would be about 30 seconds.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

MeeGo 1.1 on the Asus Eee 1001P was taking about 15 seconds to boot, Lubuntu 10.04 about 25 seconds , Archbang and Crunchbang about 35 seconds and Mint 10 3m30s (btrfs with compress-force).

Boot speed is sometimes important. I can give you an example, I had my netbook turned off and was watching a TV show with some friends when someone asked something about the show, I turned on the computer and forgot to select the fast boot distro at the Grub menu, by the time I had the information (about 4 minutes) it was irrelevant because the conversation had change topic. With Meego or Lubuntu it would only take 1 minute.

The same happens when you just need to do a fast search, check the email or check a note but don't have the computer on. Most of the time this happens to me is when I am leaving home and want to check the weather to see if it is going to rain, using the fast boot distro saves me 3 minutes.

I multiboot on that netbook and always like to have a fast booting distro, however most of the time I don't use that distro because I just leave the computer on.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG »

Lostwithaclue - Glad to see you still kicking brother, still praying for a safe return.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
anticapitalista
Level 2
Level 2

Post by anticapitalista »

antiX is another fast booting distro based on Debian Testing and MEPIS.
Boots in just under 20 seconds on my box.

Code: Select all

inxi -SC
System:    Host antiX1 Kernel 2.6.38-2.dmz.1-liquorix-686 i686 (32 bit) Distro antiX-M11-686-pt2 05 March 2011
CPU:       Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (-MCP-) cache 1024 KB flags (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) 
           Clock Speeds: (1) 2194.518 MHz (2) 2194.518 MHz
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

But that's only on very powerful boxes like yours. However, Antix is a lightweight but still very functional distro so a good choice if speed is important.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

AlbertP wrote:But that's only on very powerful boxes like yours. However, Antix is a lightweight but still very functional distro so a good choice if speed is important.

Not really.

I have compared many distros on my old celeron with integrated graphic.
antiX M8.5 runs very well with that slow BOX, especially when I played youtube, those distros with very heavy weigh would not run since CPU hit 100%.
mychance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mychance »

nunol wrote:MeeGo 1.1 on the Asus Eee 1001P was taking about 15 seconds to boot, Lubuntu 10.04 about 25 seconds....
Meego 1.1 was my best choice up to now, although its interface may not be my best cup ot tea. It loaded in about 20 seconds or so on my netbook with the network already logged in. Unfortunalety I have lost the promptitude with the first upgrade. I still boots fast, but I have to wait many seconds for the network to connect.
Aspire One 150
mychance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mychance »

donec wrote:I don't really understand what the desire for boot speed is about.
Perhaps for the same reason that the fridge is in the kitchen and not in the basement. It saves you few seconds when you need something in the instant and have the choice for a more ergonomic organisation. My netbook is my main source of information and it is always sitting around like a book I would open to look in. I don't spend my day with the computer turned on but when I need to read an email or fetch some informations, I like to be able to cut the waiting time as much as possible as I have tons of things to attend to. The beauty of having a multiboot system is that you can proceed with your hard work with a full and heavy distro and also fly around if you only want to peek quickly at some informations and having the best of both worlds :)
Aspire One 150
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You don't need to update MeeGo 1.1 just for a quick peek at the web.
Kendall
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Kendall »

This certainly looks interesting:

http://e4rat.sourceforge.net/
http://lifehacker.com/#!5790311/e4rat-c ... e-commands

...or perhaps invest in a solid state drive.
Former Mint Fluxbox/LXDE and Peppermint OS guy.
Senior developer for Ringfree Communications Inc.
Avid trail and ultra runner.
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

There's always TinyCore, an entire distro that could be emailed as an attachment, it uses a micro-X (I think) instead of regular X. It's surprisingly functional for something so small.
Crivens!
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Have to give E4rat a try.
mychance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mychance »

Thank you very much for all your posts ! There are some distros I didn't know about and that I will certainly give a try :)
Aspire One 150
mychance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mychance »

nunol wrote:Have to give E4rat a try.
Seems very interesting but not that obvious to apply. From what I understand, E4rat is not a distro but a kind of kernel module that you retrofit with some line code patching in the grub config file. Not the easy way for a newbie like me :(
Aspire One 150
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

E4rat is a tool to get faster boot times on an existing distro. It is indeed not a distro by itself. Agreed, it may not be very simple to use for people new to Linux.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Chat about Linux”