What is the most userfriendly Linux distro ?

Chat about Linux in general
chiquitan
Level 1
Level 1

What is the most userfriendly Linux distro ?

Post by chiquitan »

What Linux version is the most userfriendly and resembles most the graphical interface of Mac’s OS X ? Having had a look at various Linux versions, I guess DreamLinux would be an option because at the bottom of the screen the programme icons are lined up the same way as in the Mac’ OS X interface ? It should also be easily downloadable without too much fiddling around with partition resizing, i.e. a kind of automatic partitioning system would be more than welcome without having to use a special partitioning programme.

Anyone who is working with DreamLinux ?
Experiences: bad or good ?
ASUS laptop F3Sc 15,4 “
Intel Core 2 duo CPU T7100 @1.80 GHz
RAM: 3 GB
120 GB
1 x 250 GB Maxtor external HD
OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit & Linux Ubuntu 10.10 dual boot
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: What is the most userfriendly Linux distro ?

Post by AlbertP »

Macbuntu is a Mac look for Linux. It is made for Ubuntu but should run fine on any Debian or Ubuntu based distro, as long as it uses the Gnome 2 desktop, which is used in all Linux Mints from 2 to 10.
And if you want user-friendliness, use Linux Mint 10.

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=129021
http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbuntu/

The program icons from Dreamlinux can be used in any distro, I think it's just an AWN or DockbarX bar. It might also get installed with Macbuntu.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Zero Prime
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Zero Prime »

I've used Dream Linux, but I wouldn't recommend them due to I'm not sure how long they will be around. Updates are real slow and installing can be a pain in the rear. As for user friendly, it is if you are used to Linux and the command line, as for someone who is new to Linux, I wouldn't go there. It is fast though, very fast.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to Chat about Linux & Other Distributions subforum
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

A userfriendly linux ? Ummm, errrrr linux mint is dandy, lol.

For real though, if you can read. Then you should be able to use the default desktop in Mint 10 main edition. Cannot see how anyone could make a GUI any simpler, user friendly or straight-forward.

:D
2Stoned
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 2Stoned »

#1 Linux Mint
#2 Linux Ubuntu
#3 PcLinux OS (Gnome Version)

IMO :P
AMD Phenom II X6 2.9 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidea GT530 4GB DDR3
1x1TB Seagate
1x250GB Maxtor
Philips 32inch 1920x1080 FullHD 100Hz Screen

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/result/2689701070.png[/URL]
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

2Stoned wrote:#1 Linux Mint
#2 Linux Ubuntu
#3 PcLinux OS (Gnome Version)

IMO :P
I concur 100% with this assessment for ease of use Linux distros. I would add #4 Ultimate Edition, but only if you have a decent amount of RAM and a fairly modern processor. They love compiz and push a lot of eye candy, which is awesome if you like and want it, but takes a lot of resources. I think mine was using 1.2GB RAM with little to nothing open other than default apps. But it's a lot of fun and it's like Ubuntu on steroids. However, that eye candy wears off and the elegance of Mint still looks beautiful after you get over the "neatness" of that eye candy.
Robin

Post by Robin »

My vote is Xubuntu and Linux Mint 9 Xfce (Not the new Debian-based one), PCLinuxOS, and SimplyMEPIS.
nitehawk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nitehawk »

I think the answer is whatever you are used to,...and your hardware. For instance, I have about 4 desktops (and my "newest" was manufactured in 2004)...so I go for distros that work well with older computers. I personally find that just plain Debian suits my needs,..and seems friendly enough. But I've also pulled quite a few hairs out when I try setting-up a pure Slackware system (seems veeeeerrry unfriendly IMO). :lol: I can get it working nicely, though,...just doesn't seem easy.
On newer computers, Linux Mint, Mepis, PClinuxOS, Parsix, and Mandriva.
paulo.delavega
Level 2
Level 2

Post by paulo.delavega »

I've installed MoonOS 4 on my mom's pc and she's having absolutely no problems using it (even being totally new to Linux).

It comes with Docky and a top panel, resembling OS X.

I think it's worth a try.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Depends, of course, on what you mean by "user-friendly." For example, Debian Stable might take me a bit longer to install than something else, but once installed and set up, it's probably gonna be totally bug-free for years, while another distro will give me problems on occasion.

Also, as someone else noted, a lot may depend on your hardware. On one computer, PCLinuxOS might be the most user-friendly. On another, it might be Mint, or Mepis, or something else.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It may also depend on the software: which things you want to run. But of course it's also hardware-related. Debian for example, have removed APM support: that's power management for old laptops.
Telecaster72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Telecaster72 »

For user friendlyness, i have to say Pardus http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=pardus is really really smooth and looks GREAT.
It is the only KDE distro i've liked so far, usually KDE gives me a rash after a while but this was smooth sailing all the way, i went for LMDE instead though because of the small repositories Pardus have, once they get that fixed i'll give it another go.
The partitioning during install is a little unusual and i managed to bork my windows install :roll: (a sign maybe?) so in a dual boot situation i would hesitate to recommend it, but as a single os for computer illiterate aunt Mildred who do not need any out of the ordinary software it is perfect.
Did i say it looks great? Not mac-like, nicer...

Installed Mint on my dad's laptop and he loves it, XP confuses him, but since he started to use Mint i hardly have to act computer support anymore...
chiquitan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chiquitan »

I am a Linux newbie, so i’m wondering about the following:

can Macbuntu be installed as a separate programme by downloading it from this site http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbuntu/files/

or does one first have to install Linux Ubuntu or Linux Mint (for instance) and only then Macbuntu on top of it such as it is explained in How to Make Ubuntu look like Mac OS X Leopard ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_po-7eu2 ... re=related

By the way, where can I find a site with a glossary explaining all these typical Linux terms such as: docky, terminal, repository, Gnome, GUI, APM support, KDE, LMDE, …
ASUS laptop F3Sc 15,4 “
Intel Core 2 duo CPU T7100 @1.80 GHz
RAM: 3 GB
120 GB
1 x 250 GB Maxtor external HD
OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit & Linux Ubuntu 10.10 dual boot
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

You could try http://forums.linuxmint.com/ . I hear tell they often discuss stuff about linux there. Though it could just be a vicious rumor.

:D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

chiquitan wrote: can Macbuntu be installed as a separate programme by downloading it from this site http://sourceforge.net/projects/macbuntu/files/

or does one first have to install Linux Ubuntu or Linux Mint (for instance) and only then Macbuntu on top of it such as it is explained in How to Make Ubuntu look like Mac OS X Leopard ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_po-7eu2 ... re=related
Macbuntu is a program that can be used on top of Ubuntu Linux or Linux Mint.

The terminal is a program where you can type commands to your system. You can find it in the menu.

The repository is an online catalogue of software for Linux. You can use 'Software Manager' or 'Package Manager' to browse through it.

APM is the power management of very old laptops. It does not apply to your Asus with Intel Core 2 Duo.

GUI that is a program that you can operate with your mouse: no need to type commands on your keyboard.
NormanF
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NormanF »

OZ Unity... its a very slick Ubuntu Netbook Remix done right and the desktop looks posh and expensive and its easy to get around to find what you need. It has almost all the software new users could ever want... missing games but those can be installed via Synaptic Package Manager.

Easy on the eyes... about the only thing missing from it is a search box but the rest of it is very well done. You can run the installed AWN dock if you want.
richnbernie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richnbernie »

What is the definition of User Friendly? A new former Windows User? A Linux User? This is a very broad term. The discussion so far is for Linux users from what I see. Which version in which OS?

rich
FACEBOOK, the privacy thief.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Most intuitive IMO, and having the simplest interface that is easiest for folks who are used to Windows IMO are the Xfce distros. Best of the Xfce distros on my computer so far has been Xubuntu Lucid and Linux Mint 9 Xfce.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Nearly every distribution is simply point and click, they are all pretty user friendly these days.

Return to “Chat about Linux”