Ubuntu Studio moving to Xfce

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Ubuntu Studio moving to Xfce

Post by exploder »

I saw today that Ubuntu Studio will be changing to Xfce for their next release. It is nice to see the Developers take their own direction rather than just being another Ubuntu clone. It should be interesting to see how their next release takes shape. :)

Edit: Here is the announcement.

http://www.cio.com.au/article/386600/ub ... p=4&fpid=5

Edit 2: Here is the official announcement here.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 07629.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Ubuntu Studio moving to Xfce

Post by nunol »

It's a logical move, the Unity and GNOME 3 interface is geared to new users and KDE is bigger and heavy. XFCE is going to get the job done and is lighter and faster on the system.
phredbull
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phredbull »

When I was looking for a distro to use as an audio production machine, I looked into the audio-centric distros, but eventually decided to use Mint Isadora Fluxbox as my OS. I found Ubuntu's implementation of XFCE to be only marginally more efficient than Gnome, certainly not nearly as efficient as my Mint XFCE Debian setup. OTOH, Kendall's implementation of Fluxbox absolutely flies. Overall, I felt like Ubuntu Studio was merely Ubuntu w/RT kernel and every audio app they could get from the Repos. I can do that myself w/Liquorix kernels and a more thoughtful software selection, all on a much lighter base.

My $.02, coming from an audio professional who has been wrestling with music production in Linux, and continues on with the struggle...
Apple iMac, Core2Duo 2.0gHz, 3gb, ATI Radeon Mobility X1600
-Mint Nadia Cinnamon
-Mac OSX 10.5.8
Compaq Evo N610c, P4M 2.8gHz, 7688mb, ATI Radeon m7500
-LMDE XFCE
-Mint Katya Gnome
-Windows XP
Ext. HD
-Mint Isadora Fluxbox
USB stick
-#! Statler
kvv

Post by kvv »

phredbull wrote: I can do that myself w/Liquorix kernels
Or you could just use a realt time kernel right? There should be a ppa somewhere and the -rt kernel is available in the repositories AFAIK.
This is because I remember seeing a mailing list a while back, where they showed that Liquorix kernel's BFS doesn't really outperform the the standard kernel for most workloads. The creator of course disagrees (I don't understand it though :p), and maybe it works well for you.
affirmedatheist

Post by affirmedatheist »

It's pretty much a no-brainer for mine. I'm amazed they didn't do it sooner. I decided to try XFCE when grabbing LMDE and I'm impressed by just how much if flies.
affirmedatheist

Post by affirmedatheist »

kvv wrote:
phredbull wrote: I can do that myself w/Liquorix kernels
Or you could just use a realt time kernel right? There should be a ppa somewhere and the -rt kernel is available in the repositories AFAIK.
This is because I remember seeing a mailing list a while back, where they showed that Liquorix kernel's BFS doesn't really outperform the the standard kernel for most workloads. The creator of course disagrees (I don't understand it though :p), and maybe it works well for you.
Well, a PPA wouldn't work for him as he's using Mint Debian XFCE (PPAs don't exist in Debian, though I'm sure there's a repo with a -rt kernel around somewhere).
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

I think that many of us will be looking again at XFCE, for all sorts of reasons, in the coming months!

Hope this is a good move for Ubuntu Studio - I can well understand why they are doing it. Their target users will need a proper, fully featured desktop and will not be using the mobile devices that Unity and Gnome Shell are trying to reach out to.

Return to “Chat about Linux”