GNU/Linux 'n' GUI

Chat about Linux in general
Blazing Teens
Level 1
Level 1

GNU/Linux 'n' GUI

Post by Blazing Teens » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:28 pm

Most of people who intersted in technology saw images and videos of Windows 8.
Windows 8 GUI is a modern GUI which use squraes - built on HTML5 -instead of icons , which it can show some contents like rss and twitter tweets.
It is good for touch screens and tablets , so it is up-to-date with new technology.

All GNU/Linux distributions use X Windows System,which any windows manager built on.However,It is good to make Windows 8 GUI-like GUI?Using the same idea to build a modern GUI for UNIX and UNIX-like OS ?

kvv
Level 4
Level 4

Re: GNU/Linux 'n' GUI

Post by kvv » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:54 am

Blazing Teens wrote:All GNU/Linux distributions use X Windows System,which any windows manager built on.However,It is good to make Windows 8 GUI-like GUI?Using the same idea to build a modern GUI for UNIX and UNIX-like OS ?
I don't think the X Window System has too much to do with the desktop environment. For example, look at Jolicloud, it's DE is written in html afaik, and Gnome-shell front end I think has a lot of javascript. So yes, it sure is possible for someone to create a Windows8 style DE on top of X. For another example, check out Meego, but I think that is written with Qt, but whatever, it has a very different DE style.

IMO, Windows8 DE sucks so badly. I like it for a phone (WP7), but not for a desktop.

Return to “Chat about Linux”