Use linux and risk your relationship

Chat about Linux in general
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Use linux and risk your relationship

Post by dawgdoc »

According to Sam Trenholme in his Blog you must be single to use Linux. He believes that if you are in a relationship you do not have time to use Linux, live life and maintain the relationship/marraige.

I more closely agree with most of the ideas expressed in this post, Linux: Not for (Married) Lovers? , at LinuxInsider by Katherine Noyes. Of course the ones I agree with are the pro-linux comments which lend some hope that all of us Minters will not die alone in our old age. :lol:
SYSTEMS:
HP 15-bw0017cl -- Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Compaq Presario CQ62 -- Mint 17 Cinnamon (support for 80 y/o family members 1st install)
READING:
The Secret of the Ninth Planet by Donald A. Wollheim
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Use linux and risk your relationship

Post by ThistleWeb »

"Come to bed"
"In a few hours dear, I need to defrag the hard drive, update my anti virus, anti spyware and run scans of both"
"Didn't you do that last night?"
"Yeah but it needs done daily"
"Why didn't you do it earlier?"
"I didn't have time, I had to fit work into the gaps between reboots, scanning slows the other stuff down so I can't work"
"Can't you leave it to scan overnight and come to bed?"
"Unless it's updated, I may get infected overnight. I may have other programs to update too, I wish someone would think of a way to do this in one swoop but PC's can't do that"
"I'm going to sleep, if you're not here in 10mins, you're sleeping on the couch, I have a life to get up for in the morning"

Yeah I can see this "Linux is for single folks" argument. :lol:
Crivens!
SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

+1

:lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My Wife got tired of me reinstalling my operating system all the time and spending hours fixing it. I installed a rolling release 4 months ago and everyone's happy. :D
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

One big exception . . . . when they see a GL xscreensaver in action . . something happens to their knees ! :shock:

SimonTS
Level 6
Level 6

Post by SimonTS »

@RichyRich,

You know the wrong kind of women...

...or maybe the right kind of women, I'm not entirely sure :shock:
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Re: Use linux and risk your relationship

Post by colyn »

exploder wrote:My Wife got tired of me reinstalling my operating system all the time and spending hours fixing it. I installed a rolling release 4 months ago and everyone's happy. :D
There ya go...problem solved. Relationship issues resolved...
If you were using Windows you'd be in divorce court....

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

That explains why I can't keep a gf !!! D&mn you linux !!! D:

Hmmmm or it could be my excessive ear hair and buck teeth. They sober up and next thing ya know da parties over. D&mn you excess ear hair n buck teeth !!! D: Actually latest relationship 15mnths and going strong. We have issues now and then. But the time I sink into learning about alternative operating systems and FOSS isn't one of em. Linux will ruin your relationships ? Really ... lol. Well maybe if ya use pure ubuntu. Can understand a woman not liking a guy who has such terrible taste in gnu/linux. Perfectly understandable in that case. The whole premise for this article sounds like summin M$ came up with.

:D
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

lmintnewb wrote:Well maybe if ya use pure ubuntu. Can understand a woman not liking a guy who has such terrible taste in gnu/linux. Perfectly understandable in that case.
I knew I shouldn't have added that dang Lucid last year!!!

:lol:
lmintnewb

Post by lmintnewb »

lol ... Yep MalsPa, tis a fact ... Women tend to look differently at ubuntu users. With all the fantastic linux out there. Makes em wonder why anyone would bother running ubuntu. Something to keep in mind gentlemen, lol. Of course this is a gag post. Though obviously I don't like ubuntu ... Oh well.
linuxmintt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by linuxmintt »

Use Linux, stay single, never get married (especially these days) as well as savings LOADS of money to use for yourself and be the boss of your life to do with as you then please without a "boss" at home to report to. :mrgreen:
pinballwizard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pinballwizard »

Dunno. My missus is completely in love with Linux. She's been using only linux of some sort for 5 years or so now.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

pinballwizard wrote:Dunno. My missus is completely in love with Linux. She's been using only linux of some sort for 5 years or so now.
Well, that doesn't help the marriage, either. She's OK with you, 'cos you have a shared interest, but she's in Love with Linux, so you don't get a look in :)
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM
Gerd50
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Gerd50 »

Well, if the woman i'm living together with would know about Linux, it would ruin our relationship. It's much better she is
using windows and has her aides for doing that. If she would get interested in Linux, me would have to be the aide. If my
nerves could stand that? No i don't think so :roll:
I believe in everything, except humans.

LM9, Debian Testing Xfce, Debian Sid Xfce - CPU/Amd64 2,6Ghz, Graphics/Nvidia 9600 GT, Sound/SB Audigy4 emu10K1
Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

Not tonight dear, I have a modem.
richnbernie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richnbernie »

I have been using Mint for almost a year I think. Girlfriend has a XP and satisfied with it. I gave her a ten old Toshiba wireless laptop with Mint 7 on it for backup if her desktop ever fails.
She knows how to reboot the desktop when XP gives her problems. She knows how to reboot the Verizon DSL wireless modem. She know how to identify Spammers, hackers, Phishing email attachments in email. Email with no subject and how to identify suspicious email messages.
She logs out of any place that requires log in for using the site. I taught her about lazy PB users that stay logged into anything they belong to.

No problems.

I never, ever get holier than thou when using my Mint laptop when we sit and watch TV. Most of the Male species never know when to shut up.

rich
FACEBOOK, the privacy thief.

Return to “Chat about Linux”