Gnome 3?

Chat about Linux in general
DarkRubySage
Level 1
Level 1

Gnome 3?

Post by DarkRubySage »

Anyone here using Gnome 3? (On Mint, Ubuntu Fedora etc.)

I've been using Fedora 15 for a little while now, Gnome 3 has some very nice things, such as modal dialogs and how it changes certain things depending on the hardware, such as sound adjustment.

However, I still don't like Shell. Some people might like it, but I find that it compromises my workflow.
What I think Gnome should have done is go ahead and do gtk3 etc. but not shell. It should have stayed like Gnome2 in appearance and usabillity on top of Gnome 3 and gtk3.

Post away, who thinks alike? Who has a different opinion?
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Gnome 3?

Post by monkeyboy »

G3 is different from G2 and in my opinion once its been around for a bit and gets tuned up it will be ok. Until then it will be troll bait.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
Dr.m0x
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Dr.m0x »

Everything new bites at first when it comes to software. Kde 4 used to suck in the early days now it's slick. Windows Vista sucked but after some tweaks it was re released as W7 and heralded with much acclaim.

Sent from my Cyanogenmod 7 phone.
mustafa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mustafa »

the only thing stopped me from adapting to G3 is the lack of the bottom panel, I can't see what apps are opened when I have any maximized window.
SallyK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SallyK »

I've been trying Gnome 3 and the Gnome Shell on Fedora, and I actually quite like it. I'm looking forward to being able to use it with Mint.

Of course, I do use some shell-extensions, I can't use a desktop without tweaking it, but I find the basic principle much more appealing than Unity.

Return to “Chat about Linux”