DONT DO IT....

Chat about Linux in general
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

DONT DO IT....

Post by podagee »

okay i recently tried ubuntu11.10 stable(as they say).it is the worst distro i've tried yet and i've tried many.it has the most bugs i've ever experienced.thinking of switching?dont do it.im sticking with mint11.awaiting the 12 release in november.i know mint is a breakoff of ubuntu but mint is so much cleaner.its the best distro.stay where you are and dont make a move to switch
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: DONT DO IT....

Post by MALsPa »

:lol:

As always, "your mileage may vary." Right before I saw this post, I was just reading through a thread at the Ubuntu forums about it. Some like it, some don't. One poster commented, "This is the best release (IMO) since Lucid." So I guess you never know until you try it yourself on your own hardware.

cudayne
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cudayne »

I don't know my 16 YO son wanted to setup his own linux box with a used computer we got.

The kids box is running mint9.

So as he wanted too walk on the wild side we tride mint Debian after about 3 hours of reading an trying too fix broken packages we downloaded Kbuntu 11.10 it installed as good as mint Debian an is running solid. He went an got a Linux bible an is toying with it agressivly an it seems as stable too me as when we set it up.

With me not being a Linux guru it seems everyone has different experience with different versions of Linux. I know for instance when mint first released the Debian edition i tried it it was super fast an seemed very good after trying this latest one, it just don't seem too be as polished as the other mint variants i have tried in the past.

I would have setup a kde version of mint 11 but there seems too not be one. On the plus side my son has set up kde desktop on his siblings mint 9 much too my surprise it runs good.

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

I loaded the KDE version and its been fine so far. On the other hand the GNOME version choked on an attempted USB install. After a little looking around and I get the idea that it may be a problem with my brand of flash drive. Enjoy
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

if you run ubuntu11.10 bare with no add-ons its good,but,as soon as you start like compiz everything crashes and i mean everything.after boot there was a lot of problems like file,edit,etc.deleted.then when you reboot the notification bar is not there,than another reboot the unity bar isnt there.my cousin is a straight up ubuntu fan and 10 minutes after install he didnt like it.now he's coming over to mint with a fresh install of mint 11.as far as linux im gonna stick with mint.its the best my opinion.oh and its also a lot better to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 there seems to be no problems after the upgrade the direct install aint happening.
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to Chat about Linux & Other Distributions forum from Other Topics.

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

podagee wrote:its also a lot better to upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 there seems to be no problems after the upgrade the direct install aint happening.
Thanks for the heads-up. Well, I've got 11.04 on one of my machines, think I'll stick with it, it's working fine. Never cared much for upgrades instead of fresh installations.

Funny thing is, it seems like usually more people have problems with the upgrades, not the fresh installations. I've already seen some comments by folks who've had problems upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10, but it worked fine in your case. Ya never know, I guess.

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

i had bad experiences booting from a live disc 5 times.i didnt like it beside the gnome 3 was alright.my cousin is the one who tried the upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10 and he said everything was fine until i told him to try the direct install.yup....he hated it..now he's on mint 11.i'll find out what he thinks about it tomorrow......and whoever successfully got through the bugs of 11.10 congratulations,but,now you gotta deal with he heaviness of the program....really laggy.
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram

rekik
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rekik »

I have successfully upgraded from Xubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 (after a partition backup with clonezilla). It downloaded 545 MB only and worked fine. The sole software that was uninstalled is audacious.

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

i finally got 11.10 to operate flawlessly,but,its still too laggy.its nice though with the compiz and everything.the only thing catchy about it is the software center and the unity
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I have to say that I have found running 11.10 with Gnome 3 every bit as fast as Mint 11 LXDE. I have noticed no lagging on anything, including full-screen flash movie streaming. I think between getting over the shock of radical change and what seems to be gradually increasing configurability, Gnome 3 may turn out OK. Of course I'm talking about using the classic Gnome desktop on it. If I want the shell look I'll use my Samsung Galaxy S phone. :lol:
Mint Cinnamon 20

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

i played around with gnome 3 and it wasnt too appealing to me.didnt enjoy it much.in my opinion unity is much better.
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

podagee wrote:i played around with gnome 3 and it wasnt too appealing to me.didnt enjoy it much.in my opinion unity is much better.
I agree...i installed ubuntu 11.10 and am VERY IMPRESSED with it and got use to unity very quickly and find it easy to work with....i was like many others...
complaining because it was different then what i was "accustomed to" (the old gnome 2 way)...once i got use to it (which didn't take long at all) i began to like it very much :)
And on 11.10 they have really smoothed it out and it it works quite well...

I'm sure gnome 3 shell is pretty good too but i like this fine and it requires no "tinkering" on my part...which is fine with me :wink:

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

I installed Kubuntu 11.10 on one of my computers and it is running fine with no glitches. Maybe your machine is the problem..

rekik
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rekik »

colyn wrote:I installed Kubuntu 11.10 on one of my computers and it is running fine with no glitches. Maybe your machine is the problem..
And I have upgraded from Xubuntu 11.04 to 11.10 and all is running fine too :D

Detonate
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Detonate »

What I do before upgrading is install the new distro on separate partition. That way you can see if everything works on your computer before committing to the upgrade.

rekik
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rekik »

Detonate wrote:What I do before upgrading is install the new distro on separate partition. That way you can see if everything works on your computer before committing to the upgrade.
Another way is to save your system partition with Clonezilla before upgrading. Useful if you don't have a free partition.

podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

ubuntu 11.10 runs fine on my system its just way too heavy for me.as far as gnome 3 and kde.i dont really like the both of them.im into the unity though.love it.but to each his own
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram

Return to “Chat about Linux”