Feeling rather proud of myself

Chat about Linux in general
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Feeling rather proud of myself

Post by Roken » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Because I'm posting this from Firefox on my very own LFS system :)

Yay Me!
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Feeling rather proud of myself

Post by vrkalak » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:22 pm

Tell us exactly what you did?

How did you go about building a LFS? (that's a Linux From Scratch OS)

Which DE/WM did you use?

How long did it take? So far.

How do you like it?
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:39 pm

Congratulations. I had thought about trying that. How long did it take? Was it painful? :lol:
Mint 19.1 KDE

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:12 pm

Well, the first step was a couple of test runs in a VM, and after they booted successfully (to a console that didn't do very much if I'm honest) I moved on to a real life install. This was much like the VMs, except the kernel caused some problems at this stage because it was no longer using drives already mounted, and I had to modify grub manually to get a boot system (well, burg here, but the principle is the same). The build to this point is all done in a chroot from your build system.

Next (still in chroot) I built and configured wpa_supplicant (so that my wireless would work), lynx and wget. This provides enough tools to work in the actual booted LFS system. Next up was xorg - which when started for the first time reminded me somewhat of my very first Linux install some 20 years ago (Debian 3.0 m68k). Of course, xorg by itself isn't much good (though it does build with xterm, xclock and twm so you get a very simplistic desktop).

From there I built xfce in accordance with the instructions at xfce.org, plugging dependancies as I went (there's a lot of deviation from your chosen path as you locate and build required packages).

Finally I had a desktop I could work with, but still using lynx in a terminal (or often two terminals in order to continue with the deviations without losing myself), I built ntfs-3g (so that I could mount my Data drive), alsa and vlc (huge build with many dependancies). This gave me music while I worked :)

Took a little time out to clean up my system (I had source packages dotted all over, so I consolidated the archives and deleted the extracted folders). Today I've built Firefox 8, Thunderbird 8, a picture viewer, thumbnailer, imagemagick, xchat was yesterday (handy for irc help when something doesn't work). Also had to build esd to get audio with flash working, and a couple of other bits. Some customisation to my theming and I have a working desktop that I could spend all day on (courtesy of vlc I have music, video, live TV, live radio), and FF gives me access to online content (BBC iPlayer etc). Internet radio works just fine with vlc too.

Build time up to now on the live system is around 8 days in total. Practice time before that was about 2 weeks (the first one took 4 days just to boot, but you do get faster). FF and TB caused some problems, and the sources for qt4 (required by vlc) are huge. I'm at the point now where I can concentrate on stuff I actually want on the system. I need truecrypt which is causing some problems because fuse refuses to build, and I want to get an office suite built. After that I'll get back to system stuff, such as gstreamer, mono etc. and then I'm going to have a bash at a completely 64 bit native SecondLife viewer (I run an OSGrid sim, and the new viewers will allow collada meshes to be used - though I haven't found a single viewer that will do both mesh and audio on Linux 64)

Then I may think about apt - because I can see the constant maintenance getting tiresome :)

I should add, the sense of achievement when that first boot completes is immense, and it stays high with xorg, then a DE. I consider FF and TB to be high points as well, especially as many LFS builders heartily recommended not building from source. Up to now, the only thing I didn't build was the single libflashplayer.so library, since it's propriety source code isn't available. I can live with that :)
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

minty33
Level 2
Level 2

Post by minty33 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:04 am

I also have the LFS page bookmarked in firefox and for some time have been wanting to give it a go. Was it worth it from an educational standpoint. I was hoping to learn more about linux's inner workings and the kernal. Is that a good way to do so or is LFS more just about getting a more custom software environment .

by the way I have a good book called "live linux cd's -building and customizing bootables" by Christopher Negus published in 2007 - Prentice Hall/Pearson Education publishers - its about remastering and building your own custom live distro. It is pretty cool. It's a couple years old now but I recommend it. the book Covers unionfs , squashfs and cloop drivers among other things not just distro specific build tools.
Last edited by minty33 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We all pay for life with death so everything in between should be free. - Bill Hicks

Matti L
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Matti L » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Have you thought of a name for your own distro yet?

Anakinholland
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Anakinholland » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:05 pm

/salute

It's on my todo-list indeed, but I don't think I could pull it off just yet...
Please Edit your initial post title and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

soccerz619
Level 4
Level 4

Post by soccerz619 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Congratulations! I shouldn't have read this post though... now I'm probably going to have to do this myself.
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

Return to “Chat about Linux”