Desktops and Search Engines

Chat about Linux in general
ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Desktops and Search Engines

Post by ajt007 »

1st Unity works just fine. The desktop issues are not negative enough not use it. People just don't like change.
Last edited by ajt007 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire Desktop PC - AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 5500+ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 350 HDD, DVDRW
soccerz619
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Desktops and Search Engines

Post by soccerz619 »

1. What?
2. It's a search engine. It takes like, 3 minutes to switch it. If you're talking about LM Google auto-installing (like with LM11), it helped fund the project. If you're talking about DuckDuckGo (in LM12RC), it's open-source and prevents Google tracking. If you don't like them, just spend 3 minutes switching.
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

soccerz619 wrote:just spend 3 minutes switching.
"3 minutes", how long does it take to type "www.yahoo.com", or "www.bing.com" etc.

[sarcasm]I'm surprised the OP manages to use a toilet. Who is Thomas Crapper to force people to use a porcelain bowl when a hole in the woods was just fine?[/sarcasm]
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM
soccerz619
Level 4
Level 4

Post by soccerz619 »

That's true too, but i was just saying to switch search engine tool on FireFox or to change the address bar's search engine too
Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.
ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt007 »

soccerz619 wrote:That's true too, but i was just saying to switch search engine tool on FireFox or to change the address bar's search engine too google
Last edited by ajt007 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Acer Aspire Desktop PC - AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 5500+ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 350 HDD, DVDRW
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

The DO ask for donations, all the time. As others have said, nobody forces you to use any application or search engine. It's easy to change away from the defaults the distro have chosen for you. If they make Opera the default browser and you like Firefox, do you throw a hissy fit because someone is forcing you to use Opera? No, you just install Firefox, set it as default and move on. What about themes? Forced to use the default theme? By your reaction, you'd think Mint have disabled the ability to install anything else, and removed the ability to change the search engine. Very few people who have their own preferences like everything a distro does out of the box, they always have to change a few things. The only way you're gonna get something 100% out of the box to your liking, is to do your own distro.
Crivens!
ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt007 »

You may be right about the hissy fit but I don't think so. Noun. A sudden outburst of temper, often used to describe female anger at something trivial. Originally regional from American South. Thought to originate from contraction of "hysterical fit."
My point is this Mint is my Linux Distribution of choice and I do make the changes to make it more comfortable for me. Firefox with Google Search has always been available with Mint. Why just change that now? I just happen to use Firefox with Google and I have always used Mint and Firefox. If that option was still available we would not be having this conversation.
Last edited by ajt007 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

ajt007 wrote:If that option was still available we would not be having this conversation.
As has already been highlighted, there is nothing to prevent you changing the behaviour to suit yourself. The option is still available. It's just not the default. Don't like the default? Change it.
Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM
ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt007 »

Roken wrote:
ajt007 wrote:If that option was still available we would not be having this conversation.
As has already been highlighted, there is nothing to prevent you changing the behaviour to suit yourself. The option is still available. It's just not the default. Don't like the default? Change it.
I give up. :shock: I'll will take DuckDuckGo Challenge. http://www.reddit.com/r/duckduckgo/comm ... llenge_if/
soccerz619
Level 4
Level 4

Post by soccerz619 »

DuckDuckGo is great! I've been using it for a while now, I was happy to hear they were using it in LM12
ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt007 »

I may have missed it but, I have not came across anything stating you are the main defender of everything Linux Mint. If you have comments that help another user or answer a question, please do. I don't need your remarks.
Last edited by ajt007 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

ajt007 wrote:
ThistleWeb wrote:The DO ask for donations, all the time. As others have said, nobody forces you to use any application or search engine. It's easy to change away from the defaults the distro have chosen for you. If they make Opera the default browser and you like Firefox, do you throw a hissy fit because someone is forcing you to use Opera? No, you just install Firefox, set it as default and move on. What about themes? Forced to use the default theme? By your reaction, you'd think Mint have disabled the ability to install anything else, and removed the ability to change the search engine. Very few people who have their own preferences like everything a distro does out of the box, they always have to change a few things. The only way you're gonna get something 100% out of the box to your liking, is to do your own distro.
I may have missed it but, I have not came across anything stating you are the main defender of everything Linux Mint. If you have comments that help another user or answer a question, please do. This a a holiday weekend in the U.S. and it's for giving thanks that people like you are not here.
Just please stay in Scotland and I don't need your remarks.
Sorry, you want yes men responses huh? My bad.

You stated that if Mint needed donations they should ask (they do, you didn't spot it or chose to ignore it - I among others corrected that wrong assumption). You stated that you were being forced to use a search engine (we stated you can change it if you wish, you also chose to ignore that). You stated that you can't change the defaults (we've corrected that wrong assumption in telling you that you can in fact change it). We can't help you if you jump to wrong conclusions then state them repeatedly as fact regardless of us correcting you. Do you expect reality to bend towards your assumptions just so you're not proving yourself to be wrong on multiple counts and over reacting? Sorry, we're not gonna do that. We deal in facts.

Your question seems to be "I don't like the default search engine being changed, how do I get my old preference back" although you chose not to state it in the form of a "how do I?" question, but in the form of a rant. We have chosen to answer that question. We can't do any more if you don't read or comprehend that answer.

Anyone who has built up a preference of applications they prefer will never find a distro that suits them 100%. What do we do? Do every one of us release their own distro when the applets on the panel are in a slightly different order than what we like? Or if the icon theme isn't one we like? Is that your world? It seems to be. "I don't like the default, therefor I rant and leave that distro". To me, the mature and logical approach is to find a distro that's mostly to your needs and tweak it to fit your needs more. Install whatever apps you like to use, set the search engine to whatever you prefer, change your theme etc and live with it.

Sorry if none of that is helpful, to me, that's just logic. It's also pretty basic.

I was also unaware of an official position of "main defender of all things Mint", perhaps you could point me to the awards page. the Mint team do like to publicise stuff like that. What exactly are the duties that come with that role? I have opinions like everyone else here. In some cases they are not so positive, so I guess those count against my official position. I was also unaware that one needed a position to have an opinion here. If that is the case, what position are you currently holding? Should we refer to each other by our titles instead of our nicks? Should we do it politician style and address all remarks to the moderator:

"Dear moderator, I ask the honorable forum member to state for the record his / her official position within the Mint community and the duties that position carries".......politicians can't be trusted to talk directly to each other, I'd like to think we're more adult than that.
Crivens!
soccerz619
Level 4
Level 4

Post by soccerz619 »

haha Thistle well played. Look, if you don't like Mint, don't use it. Don't get on here and rant though. That seems misplaced, especially in a Thanksgiving weekend!
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

Another thought occurred to me, it is Thanksgiving in the US. We don't do that here so it totally escaped me. Since you brought that up, I thought I'd give my own......to keep in spirit with the thread and all that.

I give thanks for the blog posts which both ask for donations on a regular basis, and in more recent times explain the reasoning behind the switching of the default search engine. I give thanks for the threads in this forum discussing how to change the aforementioned default search engine if one should decide it's not to his or her tastes. I give thanks for the collective amnesia required to forget about those yet still have the wherewithall to remember to mention them in a response to a forum post. I give thanks to the all knowing Goog who always seems to be able to find just the right site when I search for.....erm.....sorry, I got distracted there for a moment......where was I? Oh yes, I give thanks for a free distro, complete with a lot of free software, supplied free of charge. I give thanks to the developers who thought it might be a good idea to allow people the freedom to modify their own install of an OS to include or exclude what they need, and supply the tools for us to easily do so. I give thanks to the Mint team who have done (and continue to do) a remarkable job with limited resources and a lot of sniping from the peanut gallery (myself included), even though I don't agree with everything they do.

Now I guess I better have a ceremonial sip of tea to mark the event. Not sure if that follows the proscribed pattern, as I said, we don't do thanksgiving here so I wasn't prepared and had to improvise.

Happy thanksgiving. :D :lol: Cheers.
Crivens!
soccerz619
Level 4
Level 4

Post by soccerz619 »

Amen and Amen. Happy Thanksgiving.
Kevin108
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kevin108 »

Using Linux and complaining about not being able to change something? :lol: I think not.
ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt007 »

Happy thanksgiving. :D :lol: Cheers.[/quote]
We always seem to hit each others buttons. I look forward to your replies. To tell the truth I also usually learn something. You don't disappoint.
Thank you and a good weekend to you.
alex :) :P
Last edited by ajt007 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

soccerz619 wrote:DuckDuckGo is great! I've been using it for a while now, I was happy to hear they were using it in LM12
ACK! Finally it gets the attention it deserves.

Return to “Chat about Linux”