New Crunchbang ISO Released

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ThistleWeb

New Crunchbang ISO Released

Post by ThistleWeb »

For those of us who adore Crunchbang, there's a new ISO. There's been quite a few changes since the last ISO, the stand out one being no XFCE version now, it's exclusively OpenBox. http://crunchbang.org/download

There is an issue with manual partitioning, that the installer gets caught in a loop and can't continue. If you want to try with manual, I'd suggest waiting a while until it's addressed. Other than that, it looks cool in live mode.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Re: New Crunchbang ISO Released

Post by nunol »

Thanks, testing now...
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

I love the fact that corenomial is so active with #!'s development; however, I'm a bit disappointed that there's no XFCE version anymore. #! XFCE is my primary desktop at the moment. Guess I'll just stick with what I've got for now. I might load the new #! spin in a Vbox and play with it. I'll either see if I can get used to Openbox, add Fluxbox and play with it, or add XFCE on top of OB.

mikhou
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

mikhou wrote:I love the fact that corenomial is so active with #!'s development; however, I'm a bit disappointed that there's no XFCE version anymore. #! XFCE is my primary desktop at the moment. Guess I'll just stick with what I've got for now. I might load the new #! spin in a Vbox and play with it. I'll either see if I can get used to Openbox, add Fluxbox and play with it, or add XFCE on top of OB.

mikhou

Well, it is easy to install xfce on top of open box..
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Well, it is easy to install xfce on top of open box..
No doubt; it's easy. Before #!, I ran Debian XFCE, but when I bought a new laptop, I was looking around at different distros and found that #! XFCE was almost identical to my prior Debian XFCE setup. So...while I could throw XFCE on top of OB, it was just easier to use #! XFCE outta the box. You're right, though, and I'll probably do as you suggested.

mikhou
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I downloaded both the 32 and 64-bt versions via torrent, the day of release.

I installed #!Crunchbang-Statler (x64) 2011.11.25 in my laptop.

I love what the #!Dev has done with Debian 'stable' +backports and Openbox and the Apps and Core programs used.
No GDM or Plymouth (SLIM instead) and a sleek new Openbox version, ObMenu and themes.
rjs

Post by rjs »

Crunchbang is nice. I just wished he had not changed his mind on having an xfce ver.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

rjs wrote:Crunchbang is nice. I just wished he had not changed his mind on having an xfce ver.
The #!Crunchbang Dev (corenominal) has stated in his personal blog . . . regarding the 'removing of Xfce and keeping Openbox' decision was:

"Do one thing ... and do it better than anyone else" (also, my personal business philosophy)

And he has done it > #!Crunchbang is the best, most stable OS-distro using Openbox, as the default WM ... in the Linux World.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Hi vrkalak, been a long time since i used Crunchbang again. Remember? i tried it out before you. Anyways, has corenominal done something about his contempt for printers :D, never could get mine working on it, from the days of Ubuntu base to the first switch to Debian.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
fredbird67

Post by fredbird67 »

I too am very disappointed by Corenominal's move to go back to strictly Openbox. I currently have #! Xfce on my computer, but am looking for another distro precisely because of this. BTW, I am considering a possible return to Mint with the LMDE Xfce edition, although when I try to install it, I'm prompted for where I want to put my mount points and the installer won't continue until I've specified that, and I've never known Ubuntu or Mint to force me to jump through such hoops like that in the installer. Anyone know what I should specify when prompted? I plan to do separate /home, /usr, /var, etc. partitions, so any suggestions here would help greatly.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

fredbird67 wrote:I too am very disappointed by Corenominal's move to go back to strictly Openbox. I currently have #! Xfce on my computer, but am looking for another distro precisely because of this. BTW, I am considering a possible return to Mint with the LMDE Xfce edition, although when I try to install it, I'm prompted for where I want to put my mount points and the installer won't continue until I've specified that, and I've never known Ubuntu or Mint to force me to jump through such hoops like that in the installer. Anyone know what I should specify when prompted? I plan to do separate /home, /usr, /var, etc. partitions, so any suggestions here would help greatly.
Every install needs that info, Ubuntu has auto options to make that choice for you if you prefer. The bare minimum you need is / (right click on the partition you want and select as /). A separate /swap is handy if you need to hibernate or sleep, and a separate /home is useful. This type of thing has been covered in many threads and shouldn't really be hijacking this one.

Return to “Chat about Linux”