Ubuntu paranoia?

Chat about Linux in general
Post Reply
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by KBD47 »

Just curious if anyone else is seeing Ubuntu paranoia relating to Mint? This past week one of my posts on the Ubuntu list was rejected because I'd mentioned Linux mint. And I found myself getting moderated on an Ubuntu mailing list because I have defended Linux Mint. I've noticed some seeming frustration in the Ubuntu camp regarding Mint lately. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this?
KBD47

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by aes2011 »

KBD47 wrote:Just curious if anyone else is seeing Ubuntu paranoia relating to Mint? This past week one of my posts on the Ubuntu list was rejected because I'd mentioned Linux mint. And I found myself getting moderated on an Ubuntu mailing list because I have defended Linux Mint. I've noticed some seeming frustration in the Ubuntu camp regarding Mint lately. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this?
KBD47
I see a lot of Mint posts on the Ubuntu forums. How do you feel discussing Mint on the Ubuntu forum adds value? Wouldn't the Mint forum get more views and possibly revenue if Mint was discussed here rather than elsewhere?
Similarly, discussing other distros here is equally puzzling. One could understand if a distro doesn't have its own forum.

k357k9
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by k357k9 »

@KBD47
Were you posting in "Other OS/Distro Talk"? I have not had any problems there. Maybe they don't like it to be done in other areas?

User avatar
colyn
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:37 pm
Location: ¿ǝɯ ǝǝs ɐʎ ʇ,uɐƆ ˙ǝɹǝɥ ʇɥƃᴉɹ ɯ,I
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by colyn »

You have to post in Other OS/Distro Talk. If you post elsewhere it will get deleted or moved to the above..

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by KBD47 »

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I have gotten the impression lately that mention of Mint is less welcome than usual. I use Lubuntu and Xubuntu so I talk about those there and some things are certainly common with Mint and Ubuntu, like Gnome Classic/Fallback mode, there is a MATE thread there, and there are threads for other distro talk as well. Just curious if anyone else has noticed a growing anti-Mint feeling in the Ubuntu communities, maybe it is just me :-)

k357k9
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:48 am
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by k357k9 »

@KBD47
Just curious if anyone else has noticed a growing anti-Mint feeling in the Ubuntu communities
I can see how they might me getting annoyed by all the news about the DistroWatch numbers. There must be 2 dozen or more articles about it in the last week or so. And, many of the forums have a topic that is very active.

User avatar
mtbmikex9
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 am
Location: Battle Creek, Michigan

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by mtbmikex9 »

I don't see paranoia. I see fanboy butthurt.
Borman made my computer better.

User avatar
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7524
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by DrHu »

There is a lot of activity on Ubuntu forums and they do provide launchpad for issues
--if there is any paranoia via forum admins, it might only be that they think a Mint user is piggybacking their forums

I personally have no problem cross-referencing any data in either forum or anywhere else (on the internet) it may exist..

I see that as simply providing information. But if I were to promote my preferred Linux distribution on some other group's forum, I could see that being an issue..
--and vice-versa, I don't necessarily want to see much Ubuntu instructions or data on mint forums or other OS info or questions except in the provided sub-forums (other OSs'); it tends to muddy some issues, no matter how compatible some OS versions might be (Ubuntu & Mint)

rjs
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:27 pm

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by rjs »

KBD47 wrote:Just curious if anyone else is seeing Ubuntu paranoia relating to Mint? This past week one of my posts on the Ubuntu list was rejected because I'd mentioned Linux mint. And I found myself getting moderated on an Ubuntu mailing list because I have defended Linux Mint. I've noticed some seeming frustration in the Ubuntu camp regarding Mint lately. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this?
KBD47
As long as you have minimize, maximize, close buttons on your apps, and they have regained their position on the right side of the application, I wouldn't worry. Progress and sanity has returned. But I do know I would be a bit paranoid if I all the sudden decided to move fellow Linux users application buttons around in a release just because "I want to", and then have the gall to tell them "If you don't like it, don't use it.".

Unity was a bad decision. But moving a Linux users application buttons from the right to the left with no prior written notice... Well, this is just plain unforgivable.
---
"LMDE - Linux Mint Debian Edition - Debian, with a touch of elegance." -rjs

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by KBD47 »

I haven't decided which I disliked more: overlay scroll bars, hidden menus, dock frozen to the left side of the desktop, or those lousy buttons on the left :lol:

User avatar
bkerensa
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:24 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by bkerensa »

KBD47 wrote:Just curious if anyone else is seeing Ubuntu paranoia relating to Mint? This past week one of my posts on the Ubuntu list was rejected because I'd mentioned Linux mint. And I found myself getting moderated on an Ubuntu mailing list because I have defended Linux Mint. I've noticed some seeming frustration in the Ubuntu camp regarding Mint lately. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this?
KBD47
Well if we knew what the message you sent to the mailing list said it might give us a clue as to why it was rejected.... Notably Ubuntu Mailing Lists are for Ubuntu Teams generally speaking so they might have consider your message offtopic and rejected it in mailman strictly on a OT basis. I know quite a few LoCo mailing lists discuss other distros so I guess going back to what I said it must have been OT on a core list.
Benjamin Kerensa
Open Source Evangelist & Developer
http://benjaminkerensa.com

User avatar
CapitalG
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:02 am

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by CapitalG »

i agree! i think there trying to stomp out any linux mint talk to discourage other users from jumping ship. i dont mind if they feel that way, but they should just let people know not to talk about other distros upfront.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by KBD47 »

I just saw a thread stomped out on their forum a few days ago because the new Mint Cinnamon desktop was being discussed.

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by aes2011 »

CapitalG wrote:i agree! i think there trying to stomp out any linux mint talk to discourage other users from jumping ship. i dont mind if they feel that way, but they should just let people know not to talk about other distros upfront.
Aren't people being directed to the Mint forum? Don't you think it's more productive if people visit the Mint forum and maybe click on some ads while they're there?

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 504
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by aes2011 »

KBD47 wrote:I just saw a thread stomped out on their forum a few days ago because the new Mint Cinnamon desktop was being discussed.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1899648

Let's be fair.

User avatar
CapitalG
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:02 am

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by CapitalG »

aes2011 wrote:
KBD47 wrote:I just saw a thread stomped out on their forum a few days ago because the new Mint Cinnamon desktop was being discussed.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1899648

Let's be fair.
LOL :D that's me! that's the one they closed! then left some insults on there. of course they removed them after i pmed some of the staff about it. then for some reason reopened it after they banned me? just bizarre? so ya not very fair at all.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by KBD47 »

I see threads about other desktops in the Ubuntu forum, and they often move threads to other distro talk, but I see Mint related threads shut down.
My guess is that there are quite a few of us who use both forums, and sometimes discussions will cross over. It should not be seen as two enemy camps, but sometimes I fear there are 'kool aid' drinkers that have almost made this business into a 'religion'.

Here is the thread I was thinking of:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1899383
It was posted in the Community Cafe. I see no reason for it to have been shutdown. After all, Cinnamon should work on Ubuntu, and just because it was started by the Mint team it should not be blacklisted from the Ubuntu forum. MATE has its own thread there, as does Gnome Classic desktop.

User avatar
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2040
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: albuquerque

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by MALsPa »

KBD47 wrote:Here is the thread I was thinking of:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1899383
It was posted in the Community Cafe. I see no reason for it to have been shutdown.
The reason given for closing the thread, by "cariboo907":
This is the wrong place for this, if you want to test Mint software, and need help, use the Mint forums, that's what they are for. I'd suggest starting a thread in Other OS/Talk if you want to discuss this development. Thread closed.
In this case, I agree that the thread shouldn't have been closed, but simply (if anything) moved to "Other OS/Talk." If I was the OP, I would have taken that point up with the forum mods/administrators. (If my experience is any indication, that might have turned out to be fruitless, though!)

In the event, the OP ("VTPoet") simply started a new thread in "Other OS/Talk," using the same thread title, and that thread has not been closed.

But I agree with your point that this thread is more about a DE (Cinnamon) than about another distro (Linux Mint).

The Ubuntu mods tend to be heavy-handed, anyway. I've run afoul of them for things that mods at other Linux forums wouldn't even blink at. But don't let it bother you too much; it's their show. Whatever. At least they aren't like the PCLOS forums, where you can't say anything at all about any other distros!

User avatar
podagee
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 761
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:45 pm
Location: hawaii

Re: Ubuntu paranoia?

Post by podagee »

i wouldnt worry too much the ubuntu forums,besides,they have kind of a terrible support going on in there.i asked to be banned from them because of issues i had with them when i first came to linux.the mint forums are by far the best support forums i have visited...ever.and for the people who are moderating comments on there that you posted about mint is pretty slow if you ask me.mint is based off ubuntu some differences,but based the same.mint is just a clean up of whatever sloppiness the ubuntu team left behind.and clem and the gang do a really nice job of making the distro mint condition.
+1000 mint team
+1000 mint forums
#1 in my book
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux”