ideal OS

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Suo_Eno

Re: ideal OS

Post by Suo_Eno »

Don't wanna come off as a nerd rage comment here since I've lost that mojo a few years back I think but...ideally you'd want an OS that can completely bridge x86, x86-64/AMD64 whatever to ARM computing experience. Let me explain...

These days doesn't matter if you're young or a grumpy old *nix rebel, 5/10 you'd own a smartphone. Younger ones might throw in the additional PMP like iPod into the mix and apparently tablets are becoming the new laptop. To make matters worse now there's so called smart TVs but it's a niche that's really an individual thing instead of a real mainstream killer app thingy. Broadband aren't getting any cheaper from where I stand.

So the mess that we call a digital lifestyle becomes the constant battle to reduce devices' redundancy. Translation for average luddites:- You're tired of having to own a Win laptop while juggling a work provided Blackberry and a personal iPhone 4S because your friends use those too, topping that off with the circus of having to deal with your company's IT overlords because they're mad that you bring an iPhone to work and guess what you can't fathom why iTunes which suck royally on Windows are a must for your iPhone and now you're fidgeting about an iPad. And then you'll ask "Hey what's this Galaxy Tab things I've been reading about on Engadget?".

The core thing to sort this shit out is obvious. People are tired about having to be familiar about 2-3 diff OS (from PC to mobile) platforms and compatibilities. This is what MS' trying to figure out with Windows 8 (although by track record I'm not convinced and that's another debate) but it's mostly UI and does not address the bread and butter issues.

I thought Ubuntu could somewhat pave the way but that Ubuntu for Android (I'm an I9100G user btw) crap are just too damn much. We need better ideas.

Return to “Chat about Linux”