GeneC
Level 7
Level 7

Re: SolusOS RC2

Post by GeneC »

SolusOS RC2 is now available.
http://solusos.com/

Setup Wizard is sweet. Image

I am pleased to announce the immediate availability of SolusOS Release Candidate 2

Many new features, fixes, and software versions have made their way into RC2. We hope you enjoy using this release. Please note that you can upgrade to final from the Release Candidates when the time is ready.

We now have many updated applications, including LibreOffice 3.5.0 and VLC 2.0 “Twoflower”. We are committed to delivering the most up to date applications that we can, on the most solid and stable base possible. This release also sees the introduction of the First Run Wizard. Documentation will soon be put on the SolusOS Wiki regarding the new tool, and the operating system. The tool helps you set up your system for the first time, including networking tasks, the firewall, graphics drivers, and how often to update the computer.
Now is the best possible time to get involved in SolusOS. Whether its in the forums, the IRC support or by contributing code or donations, you can help shape the future of our project. We are changing the current view on many things; the idea that you have to have a rolling or bleeding edge base system to enjoy new software is wrong. SolusOS refines many concepts, and allows you to enjoy modern software and stability, as it always should have been.
Last but not least, SolusOS is about enjoying your time behind the screen. Computing shouldn’t be a mundane task, it should engage you and leave you wanting more from your computer, knowing that you can have more. Stick around, the ride has only just begun
Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Re: SolusOS RC1

Post by Daniel4lm »

Indeed, this distribution is becoming better and better (but still not even the first version went out) :D
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

just seen the sneakylinux review and i must sya it looked impressive,a gnome 2 with a kde styled menu,love that look.downloading while im messaging this.hopefully it will be as impressive as it looks.will definately give feedback after a trial.
Say it with me,"podagee,....(poh-duh-gee),"
got it?GOOD!

Toshiba Satellite P755-S5393 Intel i7
octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
Windows 8 PRO w/WMC 64bit
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

so i am running the solusos 32bit and its alright.kind of glitchy,but,so far so good...
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
podagee
Level 5
Level 5

Post by podagee »

actually having difficulties.it is rathernice and quick though but not for me.
got it?GOOD!

octo-core @ 2.20ghz
750gb hdd
8gb ram
asymmetros
Level 4
Level 4

Post by asymmetros »

Great news, Ikey.
There are always two questions: find the best compromise between stability and new packages and which distro is suitable for a new user. With the latter, i am not referring only to the "ser-friendly" moto, but to the fact that they are many users -and potential- users, that they want to have some work done, instead of worrying for constant desktop changes.
I guess that Solus trying to answer those questions and that does make it so interesting as a project -and surely, there is a need for it.
So, i ll give a try and i ll watch it's progress.
Hoping for a xfce version in the future.
Wish you every success!
Sid Mint Xfce -32, Openbox, KDE, Enlightenment, Liquorix Kernel
HP Compaq Presario cq71, Intel Core 2 Duo T4400 @ 2.2 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 103M
Marezz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: SolusOS RC2

Post by Marezz »

Using SolusOS RC2, runs great. Its fast/responsive, low footprint, fresh apps and best is that its using Gnome 2 :)
Few screenies, made it look like my previous favorite distro ;)

Image Image Image
Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniel4lm »

So, SolusOS RC3 (​​code name Eveline) was released today. :D
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

The topic's name is still "SolusOS RC1" :)
Daniel4lm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Daniel4lm »

Monsta wrote:The topic's name is still "SolusOS RC1" :)
Never mind, this is the RC version anyway, I didn't want to open a separate topic.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Oh. I didn't mean anything bad actually, it was more a suggestion to correct the topic's name a little. :)
chris_debian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chris_debian »

Very nice, Ikey!

Did the RC3 install earlier, on a spare 32-bit box.

My initial thought was 'What's the advantage over installing (vanilla) GNU/ Debian Stable?'. Constructive criticism: I think this could be slightly better explained on the (very professional) web site. I looked at the homepage and the 'about' page, and although some explanatory notes have been made, I would have liked to have seen something along the lines of (well certainly for my needs):

"SolusOS...the stability of Debian Stable, with the added advantage of current releases of your favourite mainstream software such as (Libreoffice?, etc).........". This would sum it up in one or two lines. Free software is all about choice though, and if that's the way you want it, then fair play.

I installed XFCE from the repos, but it would be nice to see an XFCE 're-spin' in the future. I'm sure you've got more than enough to work on, though :-) . I know mailing lists are a bit 20th century, but not being a user of social media (I have security/ privacy concerns), it would be good to have an 'Announce' mailing list. This would be purely for big news (releases), not day-to-day stuff.

Looks like a different package manager is used (I used Synaptic for a quick get), but often prefer to just 'apt-get' something. Will have to do some research on the pros/ cons.

I'm going to be following this project with keen interest, because I think it will fill the niche of a great deal of people.

Please don't change to using the Ubuntu repos!

Finally, as a UK user, it's good to see a local distro.

Again, nice work!

Well done!

Chris.
Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
Goro Daimon
Level 1
Level 1

SolusOS RC3

Post by Goro Daimon »

I liked to you create a Debian stable based Linux... Don't leave the project and I want new fork for Gnome 2 but in gtk3.

And... please put in repositories the new XFCE 4.10 please or create the flavor XFCE 4.10

Linux has much distro, much desktop environment but has few aplication for example.

For raster graphics Gimp or Krita only but in the XXI century Gimp not support CYMK and 16 bit channel yet and inkscape not support mesh.

Stop creating new distros and create new programs! Stop gnome3 and long live for gnome2 fork in gtk3.

Can you support trinity desktop environment instead KDE4 for love of God? Old computers run faster with TDE.

I tested the exelinux with trinity. Trinity has Fedora version, but I preffer DEBIAN/Ubuntu because this has better support in google.

And plese help the italian ubuntu developers to create NOKIA PC SUITE for Linux please.

The Rival Operation System has Gimp, Photoshop, Corel Painter...

Get up Linux community! Wake up!
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Put this on a desktop computer last night, very nice, easy to install Debian Stable :-)
chris_debian
Level 2
Level 2

Post by chris_debian »

KBD47 wrote:Put this on a desktop computer last night, very nice, easy to install Debian Stable :-)
+1

This distro gets better and better.
Aiming to migrate my main PC, but may wait a bit longer to seewhether an xfce version is released; if not, I'll just install it from the repos.

Cheers,

Chris.
Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:

http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Now you have me wondering how well KDE might install onto this :-)

Return to “Chat about Linux”