A Linux experience

Chat about Linux in general
rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

A Linux experience

Post by rmcellig »

First off I want to mention that I have been a died in the wool Mac user since 1988. In my mind, it was the only computer and computer system that mattered. Over the past few months my attitude has been changing since discovering Linux. I am not a programmer or anything like that. Just a user who wants to do computing straightforward with as little intrusion as possible. I am slowly discovering Openbox, Fluxbox and E17 as possible choices I may use on a regular basis. I just have to wrap my head around them but I love the simplicity and minimalistic feel of them. Now with all that ramble out of the way, here is my latest great Linux experience.

I had a Linux moment that I want to share with you. To me, it was a big deal. I was working on my iMac and had to rip a CD. Everything seemed to be going fine until the CD drive slowed down and then stopped. The drive is working fine but I am not sure what happened.

I took the CD and put it in my old (circa 2001) Dell Desktop computer running Ubuntu 10.04. I started Asunder (the CD ripper), and without any problems whatsoever, the CD ripped fine and I was on my way. I spend most of my time now between my two laptops (both running Mint 12), and my old Dell desktop running Ubuntu 10.04. Bottom line is that it works and meets my needs. The expensive iMac is used basically to watch movies and videos and that’s it.

The other thing I love about Linux is that it seems like every day is like Christmas day. So many cool things to learn and explore. I want to try a distro, no problem. Puppy Linux? Openbox? No problem, it’s all there for the taking and the learning experience. I love it!!
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: A Linux experience

Post by xenopeek »

Sounds like a world of opportunity and freedom has opened to you :D You might enjoy reading the free DistroWatch Weekly column (at http://distrowatch.com/, follow the "DW Weekly" link in the top bar), have a look :wink:

rmcellig
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rmcellig »

I go to Distrowatch often. Right now I am looking for gOS to try out but it looks like the link is dead, unless there are other mirrors I can download it from?
Take care,

Randy
www.mcran.com - my web site
www.chuo.fm - My radio show every Sunday from noon-2pm or 89.1 fM

outfieldgrass
Level 2
Level 2

Post by outfieldgrass »

If you are looking for a great distro running E17 give Bodhi linux a shot. Amazing OS and even better community. Jeff, the leading developer, really listens to his community.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''
~ Roberto Clemente

marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re: A Linux experience

Post by marcus0263 »

outfieldgrass wrote:If you are looking for a great distro running E17 give Bodhi linux a shot. Amazing OS and even better community. Jeff, the leading developer, really listens to his community.

Yeah Bohdi shows lot's of promise but it's 32 Bit only. From what I hear though v2.0 will have 64 Bit. It looks to be a nice E17 release

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd

outfieldgrass
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Re: A Linux experience

Post by outfieldgrass »

marcus0263 wrote:
outfieldgrass wrote:If you are looking for a great distro running E17 give Bodhi linux a shot. Amazing OS and even better community. Jeff, the leading developer, really listens to his community.

Yeah Bohdi shows lot's of promise but it's 32 Bit only. From what I hear though v2.0 will have 64 Bit. It looks to be a nice E17 release

This is true. There is a PAE kernel available so you can use more than 4GB of memory. When I first started using it I was hesitant due to the 32 bit version but I noticed no decrease in performance and really think the average user would see very little benefit going to 64 bit from 32. V2.0 is supposed to have a 64 bit version though.

The only reason I switched is I wanted something a little more heavyweight than Enlightenment. Linux Mint and Bodhi are the only 2 distro's ill use though.
''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''
~ Roberto Clemente

marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re: Re: A Linux experience

Post by marcus0263 »

outfieldgrass wrote:
marcus0263 wrote:

This is true. There is a PAE kernel available so you can use more than 4GB of memory. When I first started using it I was hesitant due to the 32 bit version but I noticed no decrease in performance and really think the average user would see very little benefit going to 64 bit from 32. V2.0 is supposed to have a 64 bit version though.

The only reason I switched is I wanted something a little more heavyweight than Enlightenment. Linux Mint and Bodhi are the only 2 distro's ill use though.
32 Bit hardware other than gadgets and phones haven't been sold for years, time to get rid of the buggy whip ya know. And yes other are clear advantages over using 32 bit and their hacks. ;)

Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd

Aethyr
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Aethyr »

I'm going to disagree with the Bodhi Linux suggestion. Very bloated for an E17 distro, 32 bit only, and horrendous package management geared towards complete novices will always keep me away from it. The OP seems to be discovering what being a true "power user" means - and as such, I am going to recommend running one of the two holy grail distros of power users: Arch or Gentoo. :wink:
Arch user now. Inactive for indefinite amount of time.

outfieldgrass
Level 2
Level 2

Post by outfieldgrass »

We all have the right to disagree. Not sure how its bloated. The install CD is less than 400MB and hardly any software is installed. As for 32 bit vs 64 bit I noticed very little difference in performance between the two, if at all. It booted much faster and offered much more flexibility than any other distro I have used. Users aren't tied to the distro's app store. I used Synaptic quite often.

I urge users to at least give it a shot despite being 32 bit. They might be pleasantly surprised.
~ Roberto Clemente

Return to “Chat about Linux”