Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
poetfreak
Level 1
Level 1

mintmenu menu suggestions removal in Mint 11

Postby poetfreak » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:47 pm

I like the mintmenu, but the search suggestions which include possible package matches, plug google and all that other stuff slows it down horribly and I do not want it on there. But I can not find out how to remove the the menu suggestions.

There used to be a way to remove it, but I do not see it any longer. Under Menu Preferences, in the tab Applications, I unchecked 'search for applications', but it does it anyway if you type a term not in the menu (I.E. 'cad'). If it is a common term it takes almost a full minute before it will respond again because it is searching all the repositories. :oops:

It also wants to search google, wikipedia, and the dictionary. I know I had figured out a way to turn this off before, but I tried several terms on here and can not find it and neither the manual or synaptic gave me any clues either. Was this ability removed?

poetfreak
Level 1
Level 1

Re: mintmenu menu suggestions removal in Mint 11 [SOLVED]

Postby poetfreak » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:16 pm

I figured it out. The package search thing requires a logout before it takes effect. I wish it would have notified me of that when I selected it. But anyway ... The other searches goofiness ...

I figured it out with some digging in another post, and a rudimentary knowledge of python.
at the terminal, type:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py

First thing, I did file-->Save As and named it applications.py.old so I had a backup of the original just in case. Then I quit the editor, hit up one time in the terminal to bring up the command above again, and enter to reopen it for editing.

Now I can safely edit it. :P

comment out 593 - 605, and 616-621 by adding a # at the begging of the line. save.
now it still searches for existing packages, but does nothing else. No google or other such suggestions.

Return to “Software & Applications”