LMDE's "gnome2-frozen" repository discontinued

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

LMDE's "gnome2-frozen" repository discontinued

Post by clem »

In the latest Update Pack to Linux Mint Debian (UP4) released in March, MATE 1.2 and Cinnamon 1.4 were made available as well as an option called “gnome2-frozen” which allowed users to stick to Gnome 2 and skip the Update Pack altogether.

Moving forward and in preparation for Update Pack 5, this repository is now discontinued.

An rsync archive was made available for users and mirrors interested in acquiring a copy of the content of Update Pack 3. This archive will remain open for a couple of weeks and is available at the following address:

rsync://debian.linuxmint.com::gnome2-frozen

This is our last goodbye to Gnome 2, a desktop we enjoyed working with since 2006 and which we can unfortunately no longer provide. Although there are still a few technologies which weren’t ported to newer desktops, we’re really proud of the work done by the MATE team and the results we’re getting with Cinnamon. Desktops like KDE and Xfce have also matured a lot and new solutions such as Shell and Unity provide additional alternatives to users.

The loss of Gnome 2 was a traumatic experience not only for users but for desktop distributions. Most of our focus in Linux Mint 12 and Linux Mint 13 went towards making this transition as smooth as possible. With Linux Mint 14 we’ll see the focus switch back towards iterative development/innovations and incremental improvements. Cinnamon will continue to improve and gain momentum but the focus will switch back to developing tools and improving the Linux Mint desktop experience itself, across all editions.
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2094
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic type changed to normal from global. The repository is no longer available and users will be aware GNOME 2 is replaced by MATE on LMDE.
DrHu

Re: LMDE's "gnome2-frozen" repository discontinued

Post by DrHu »

OK, so does that mean you intend to follow the tract that Ubuntu has: Gnome 3x etc..
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

I think Mint's DE direction is quite clear, MATE, Cinnamon, Xfce, KDE.
leduck

Post by leduck »

I wonder how to use rsync to create a local copy of this repository. I tried the command

rsync-v-t-a rsync :/ / debian.linuxmint.com :: gnome2-frozen. /

But is not working, could help me in command to be used?

Thanks
Last edited by leduck on Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

DrHu wrote:OK, so does that mean you intend to follow the tract that Ubuntu has: Gnome 3x etc..
Gnome 2 is not an option anymore, and it's not Ubuntu who discontinued Gnome 2, it's Gnome.
leduck

Post by leduck »

Got it. The command is for those interested

rsync -v -t -a debian.linuxmint.com::gnome2-frozen ./

Anyway, if you have someone who can give some tips, thank you.
Emerson1000

Post by Emerson1000 »

@ LeDuck:
I'm also in the habit of downloading this rep0.
Anyway, I do not dispose of an server to make the repo accessible for public serve - which would be fine to do.
Any idea, knowledge, link of someone who does it ?
leduck

Post by leduck »

Emerson1000, I have no idea how we could do to keep this repository in the air. It seems that most are satisfied with the end of it, because I do not see many complaints. You're from where? Maybe we could join forces.
Wolfen69
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Wolfen69 »

Say it ain't so! Wow, how can I go on?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

MATE is a fork of Gnome 2, and is available on LMDE. Unlike Gnome 2, it has an active team of developers and maintainers working to fix bugs. Current focus is on forking the remaining Gnome 2 components to MATE. Suggest you have a look :wink: Their website is here: http://mate-desktop.org/
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost »

Guys, MATE is a much more viable alternative for those of you mourning the loss of Gnome 2.x. It's actively being developed and is compatible with GTK3+ libraries, etc. I used MATE for awhile before switching to Cinnamon (I'm a sucker for bling) and it really is nearly indistinguishable from our old friend Gnome 2.3x. Please give MATE a fair shake. Desperately hanging onto Gnome 2.3x isn't wise for myriad reasons, not the least of which is that it is NO LONGER actively maintained. That has serious implications from a security standpoint, not to mention compatibility as GTK applications march on. This is a wise move on the part of the Mint devs.
Dual Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz, 24 Cores
192 GB DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100
ultraviolet_1986

Post by ultraviolet_1986 »

@ cmost,

I agree, though I'm really going to miss Gnome 2 - the fact remains that the developers themselves have simply dropped it. I'm grateful it lasted as long as it did. But I'm more grateful for MATE really - as soon as I have the download limit, I'm installing it on my laptop. Having learned that the Intel/Sandybridge graphics problem affects ALL the things, it no longer matters what I use so I'll be a MATE user for as long as it'll last. I'm actually looking forward to it more than my birthday - the old two-panel setup I had that was always so welcoming to work on will once again be there when I log-in! JOY! :D

I think we can all appreciate the Gnome 2 passing though, some of us loved it very much - I did, I started with it at the end of 2009 (on Ubuntu though) and tried to hold onto it as long as possible. You know, that's a thought: many distros simply dumped it and we lost it, whereas the Linux Mint team tried to give us something familiar and friendly each release. I started using Mint at release 12 and although I'm not a fan of the Gnome Shell at all (being more Gnome's Hell), Linux Mint 12 was very well polished and professional so that was the turning point for me. As soon as I found MATE though, I stopped hurting about gnome 2 - because I saw that others loved it too and wanted to keep it alive in a new way.

So yeah, it sucks that Gnome 2 is dead, but I can no longer tell the difference between that and MATE (excpet MATE is better and more compatible with newer software), just needs a dark theme like the Cinnamon version :mrgreen:

All I can say is thanks, Linux Mint. If it weren't for you, I would be stuck with my other OS - the one that makes my eye twitch, you know the one I'm sure :wink:
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

cmost wrote:Guys, MATE is a much more viable alternative for those of you mourning the loss of Gnome 2.x. It's actively being developed and is compatible with GTK3+ libraries, etc. I used MATE for awhile before switching to Cinnamon (I'm a sucker for bling) and it really is nearly indistinguishable from our old friend Gnome 2.3x. Please give MATE a fair shake. Desperately hanging onto Gnome 2.3x isn't wise for myriad reasons, not the least of which is that it is NO LONGER actively maintained. That has serious implications from a security standpoint, not to mention compatibility as GTK applications march on. This is a wise move on the part of the Mint devs.
Seriously. +1

Mate picks up where gnome2 left off. This should not be a sad thing to see Gnome2 go, this should be the thing that pushes people into learning about the Mate desktop.

If Mate is actively developed and makes advances, we could make the statement to the world that Gnome3 made some horribly bad choices. Perhaps someday Mate and Gnome can be merged again, but for now, if you are a Gnome2 fan, Mate is the way to go. :-)

Thanks to the Mint people and the Mate people for putting together a great OS with a terrific choice of packages and underlying Distro.
liquidstupid

Post by liquidstupid »

As one who actively uses MATE, I have to say I'm grateful that it exists and won't miss Gnome 2 for a moment. Gnome 3 and Unity were amazing to look at, but the usability factor dropped right off the chart for me. Apple's following suit with that sort of overbearing arrogance (I bought Mountain Lion and boy is it a mess... if it weren't for the media tools I really wouldn't have it). I realize the Gnome devs are acting in the best interest of their users, but it seems they're getting a little lost at the same time.

In any event, RIP Gnome 2. Long Live MATE!
ringo32

Post by ringo32 »

im just a xfce4 lover, i use lmde, but mintmenu dont work because off lmde has 4.8 , but im switch over on Mate desktop.... is pretty nice too me :) xfce or gnome or pretty familiar to me, defference is the lightnes..., if Mate could be lighter then now we could Rip off Xfce :) i dont have worked long under gnome2 but it feels the same under mate..., now berhaps better :), dont know why people wanna stay under gnome2 when mate are the same thing? Updates are most imported and support so..., mate its good...., i tested solusos for even but its pretty nice too... its more lighter then mate-desktop or xfce with there gnome2 ....., even gnome3 under solusos2 its lighter then gnome2 i dont know where they it get but it was nice... i decide to stay under lmde trying to keep rolling... Mate-desktop its nice and a have downloaded Gnome package kit for a nice software center its better dan software manager from mint personally, synaptic its fantastic too.. :)

keep on rolling :)
bberg

Post by bberg »

liquidstupid wrote:Gnome 3 and Unity were amazing to look at, but the usability factor dropped right off the chart for me. Apple's following suit with that sort of overbearing arrogance
i feel the same way. that's why i'm switching from mac os to lmde.
tried cinnamon but it didn't work very well. yet. at least to me :wink:
i'm really looking forward to it, but in the meantime i'm very pleased with mate.

thanks clem and mint guys!
imcristian10

Post by imcristian10 »

thank you
BoloMKXXVIII

Post by BoloMKXXVIII »

Long time Gnome user but I will not shed a tear for it passing. MATE is better than Gnome2 (or 3) ever was. Linux Mint is a Godsend for me. I have tried dozens of distros and Linux Mint works the way I want it to work and it just works. My days of messing around with my OS are long past. Now I want my computer to work with no "tinkering" needed. Anyone who has not donated yet, please do it now! it is worth it!
berry.whitetiger

Post by berry.whitetiger »

[quote="leduck"]Got it. The command is for those interested "rsync -v -t -a debian.linuxmint.com::gnome2-frozen ./"

I tried it using >>rsync -v -t -a debian.linuxmint.com::gnome2-frozen ./

it didn't work. I get error code 5 says the repository is no more...

How to get the original code??

now switching to MATE!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

As noted in http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2094 on July 31st 2012:
This archive will remain open for a couple of weeks
Those couple of weeks have passed. You might ask in the LMDE support forum if somebody else has a public copy, if this is important to you.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”