change ownership of file system (hdd) ? [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Calvadosian
Level 1
Level 1

change ownership of file system (hdd) ? [SOLVED]

Postby Calvadosian » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Well, a year of LM 17.3 and I'm never going back to Windoze. However, I need some help....
My problem has not been solved by downloading (torrents) of various linux books, and searching forums, so I must concede and ask for help.

I recently added two used hdd's to my sytem. After I formatted them to ext4, they both appear and are mountable without problem. (They are both used 250Gb drives that I have added for long term storage)
The first, sdb1, has my username as the owner, and I can write, read, execute files. The second, being sdc1, has root as the owner and I can't copy anything to it, etc.

I used chown to change ownership to my username, using -rv. and the response said that it had changed ownership to my username, but checking properties of the hdisk says that root is still the owner.

I am missing something here... How can I gain full use of this hd. :?:
Last edited by Calvadosian on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryF
Level 6
Level 6

Re: change ownership of file system (hdd) ?

Postby JerryF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Did you use sudo when you used the chown command?
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

Calvadosian
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Calvadosian » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:42 pm

Yes, and gave password when asked.

I tried with the volume mounted and unmounted.

JerryF
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JerryF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:02 pm

How about trying to use chown as su.

Go to terminal, type su, enter password, then use chown.

I know how to use file manager as Root, but don't know how that can be used to change the owner of the whole disk.
Don't forget to edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject line if your problem has been fixed.
My main language is English. I speak very little Portuguese, and a whole lot of gibberish.

Calvadosian
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Calvadosian » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Is it possible to use Nemo as root?

I found the solution... thanks.
Instead of using "chown -Rv username:group /dev/sdc1"

I used "chown -Rv username:group /media/username/efd2ef4d-b413-42ba-a98e-2aaa6ed00448

All done from su - rather than sudo.

JerryF
Level 6
Level 6

Postby JerryF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:16 pm

Calvadosian wrote:Is it possible to use Nemo as root?

Yes it is. Right-click on an empty area in File Manager. Select Open as Root, enter password, press Enter (or click Authenticate) and a new windows opens with Elevated Privileges:

Notice the red area:
Capture_001.jpg

Return to “Newbie Questions”