Okular malfunctioning, help please?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
iakash149
Level 1
Level 1

Okular malfunctioning, help please?

Postby iakash149 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Dear Friends,
Linux as well as forum newbie here. I am running Linux Mint 18 on a Lenovo Y570 laptop. Okular is malfunctioning. If I open a terminal and type "okular <filename.pdf>" then it works. But I cannot open a pdf or ps file from the Dolphin file manager using Okular. I cannot start Okular from the Alt+F2 or from the Applications Menu. I have tried "sudo apt-get remove okular" followed by "sudo apt-get update" and then "sudo apt-get install okular". No luck.
Any help will be deeply appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
AB

TeaSwigger
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Okular malfunctioning, help please?

Postby TeaSwigger » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:55 am

Hello and welcome to the Mint forums.

Is it right to assume you're running Mint 18 KDE and you have applied any updates using the update manager? If so, what happens when you click on a pdf file?

A couple of simple things you might check are in order (I hope the steps are right, I'm not using the KDE version here at the moment):
- File associations. Right click on a pdf file > click Properties. On the resulting dialogue box, click File Type Options. Top item is the default handler for that type of file. Is okular in the list and on top?
- Incorrect/corrupt 'desktop' file. In the same dialogue box as above, click on the okular entry, then click Edit. In the resulting dialogue box, click the Application tab. In the Command text field, it should read: "okular %U %i -caption %c" (without the quotes). Correct it if it's wrong ("okular %U" is the important bit).
Mint 18.1 Xfce - AMD Quad Core - 8GB ram - lovely ASUS Xonar ST sound - Radeon R7 Graphics - 1920x1200 Dell U2415

some favs: Zim - mocp - kid3 - krusader - calibre - gimp - artha - handbrake - k3b - ClickRepair - urxvt - filezilla

iakash149
Level 1
Level 1

Postby iakash149 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:52 am

Hello TeaSwigger,
I am using Mint 18 KDE. I have applied all updates as suggested by the update manager. At the moment it says that the system is up to date. I checked properties for pdf files and Okular is right at the top, followed by MendeleyDesktop, ImageMagick, Print Preview and Document Viewer and Gimp. I clicked Edit > Applications and the Command field has "okular %U %i -caption %c" Below the Command field, the Work path field is empty. Is that how it should be? Still no luck :(
AB

TeaSwigger
Level 2
Level 2

Postby TeaSwigger » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:33 pm

That looks right. Hm. Have you updated to Mint 18.1? (If not and interested in doing so, see: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3185 ). It seems KDE did a lot of bug squashing between the versions in 18 and 18.1. I just installed 18.1 KDE on an older PC here and dolphin opens pdfs in okular just fine. It doesn't have anything related to Mendeley installed though; maybe that threw something off, pdf-handling wise.

If not possible or desirable to upgrade or if that doesn't work, one easy way to narrow it down a little would be to create a new user account, log out of yours and into the new one, then try opening a pdf. If it works right for the other user, it's something amiss in your old user account. If so, I'm not sure how to fix it, but what I'd try first would be to edit (or if I can't figure them out, remove) some obvious configuration files from the old user account that might somehow be messed up, log out then back into the old account (they will be recreated fresh from system default values; you may have to reset some preferences). More specifically, mimeapps.list (in /home/[user name]/.config ) and those for dolphin (dolphinrc) and okular (okularrc) which may be in /home/[user name]/.config, /home/[user name]/.kde/share/config or /home/[user name]/.local/share.

If not, hopefully someone else has some other ideas.
Mint 18.1 Xfce - AMD Quad Core - 8GB ram - lovely ASUS Xonar ST sound - Radeon R7 Graphics - 1920x1200 Dell U2415

some favs: Zim - mocp - kid3 - krusader - calibre - gimp - artha - handbrake - k3b - ClickRepair - urxvt - filezilla

Return to “Newbie Questions”