18.1 Cinnamon WiFi issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Rjhusein3
Level 1
Level 1

18.1 Cinnamon WiFi issue

Postby Rjhusein3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Hey, new to Linux. Learning as much as I can, but can't figure this out. When I 'Restart' my laptop, WiFi becomes unavailable. If I 'Shutdown' my laptop and turn it back on, WiFi is fine. If I shut the lid and open it back up, WiFi is fine.

I have no idea...

I originally used a USB to dual boot, but decided I liked it enough to only have Mint installed, but it did the same thing then too.

Any ideas?

Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Re: 18.1 Cinnamon WiFi issue

Postby Lemongrass38 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi, please post the output of these 3 commands:

Code: Select all

sudo netctl list
sudo systemctl list-unit-files --state enabled
inxi -Fxz
Arch Xfce, Debian Xfce
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)

Rjhusein3
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rjhusein3 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:43 am

Lemongrass38 wrote:Hi, please post the output of these 3 commands:

Code: Select all

sudo netctl list
sudo systemctl list-unit-files --state enabled
inxi -Fxz

Thanks for the reply! I figured out the reason but now can't figure out a new solution...

My issue was enabling secure boot. I received a prompt whether or not to disable it, and i enabled it. Now certain things aren't working. WiFi being one.

I'd like to re-install Linux Mint 18.1, and I have a bootable USB, but I can't figure out how to boot from the USB. My f2/f12 isn't doing anything on a boot-up...

Do I delete my hard disk partitions in hopes the PC is forced to boot from the USB?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Lemongrass38 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:36 am

You are welcome.

No, you shouldn't delete your partitions. There must be another way to reach BIOS. Try Del/F2/F12 or search your machine on Google like "<machine type number> bios enter". Maybe could you set that secure boot back to reach BIOS.

But even then maybe some things won't be working. After you reinstall. Maybe you'll have to face those problems anyways. Maybe you'll need to post the results of those commands later. Don't forget them, if your Wi-Fi is still not working, include those in your post (also, include inxi -Fxz in all your support topics). I hope you succeed somehow. :)

An advice: log your changes to your OS in a txt file, the things you've changed or set. It comes handy in many cases.
Arch Xfce, Debian Xfce
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”