[SOLVED] how to increase home partition. I have dual boot os. #2

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fairway Fatty
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] how to increase home partition. I have dual boot os. #2

Post by Fairway Fatty »

Hello,
Sorry to jump in on this one but I too am having trouble with my resizing with dual boot system.
I have created space but cant seem to move it to resize. I am booting to my Mint install DVD when i attempt this.
Is it possible to add this unallocated space without doing a new install?
Thanks, FF
Screenshot from 2017-12-17 18-29-39.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-17 18-43-07.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: how to increase home partition. I have dual boot os. #2

Post by JeremyB »

Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Fairway Fatty wrote:I have created space but cant seem to move it to resize.
If the space is the 48.83 G in front of sda3, you'll need to move sda3 to the beginning of that free space (resize it to the left).
Then you'll have free space in front of sda5 and you can expand sda5 into that. This step might be slow.

Then! You'll probably have to re-install grub because you moved the /boot directory which in in "/" (sda5).

You might want to look up how to do that before resizing. There are posts here about it. It's not a lot of fun.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Fairway Fatty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fairway Fatty »

Thanks for the reply Flemur - The problem is I cant seem to move anything!
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Your linux installation is located on logical partition in the extended area and the unallocated space is in the primary partition area.

You cannot extend a logical partition into the primary partition table.

You can move the sda5 partition to the unallocated space with gparted then expand it to 48+G, but you'll break grub.
Fairway Fatty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Fairway Fatty »

WharfRat - Thanks for the reply.
I’m willing to risk trashing grub and attempting to fix it - worst case I’ll need to re-install.
The problem is I cant seem to move anything!
I’m booting to my install disk,
As shown in my screenshot, i cant seem to resize sda5.
Thanks. FF
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

In your screenshot /dev/sda5 is mounted - is it mounted by the live media :?:

If so unmount it first then try copy and paste if you don't care about breaking grub.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

WharfRat wrote:You cannot extend a logical partition into the primary partition table.
Are you saying he can't resize (extend) sda3 to the left to include the 48G of free space in front of it ?

I'm pretty sure I've done exactly that (tho I'm not going to mess with a disk to check).

These guys seem to agree that it's possible:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/591213/ ... -partition
https://askubuntu.com/questions/585092/ ... -partition
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Maybe I'm mistaken with this which wouldn't be the first time :oops:

Perhaps resizing the extended partition to the left first, then the logical partition :?
Fairway Fatty
Level 2
Level 2

(SOLVED!) Re: how to increase home partition. I have dual boot os. #2

Post by Fairway Fatty »

Ok! - Thanks for the hint... though I was booting to the Mint install CD the system was still mounting sda5.
I couldn’t figure how (or didn’t have patience) to unmount while booted to the Mint CD so I downloaded the gparted live iso and burned a cd and booted to that.
Once that loaded (gpart pops right up!) I was able to move the unallocated space to the right into the extended partition.
At that point I could right click "Move" sda5 all the way over to the left and gobble up the free space :lol:
Gpart live gives plenty of warnings and my biggest concern was if it would trash my Windows Boot...but after staring it down i concluded it would not and let it slide....
Once it finished I re-booted and....BAM! :D Grub loaded without issue and I am able to boot to the Mint install and my Windows 10 without issue! :roll:
Screenshot from 2017-12-18 15-30-18.png
As you can now see I've got lots of space!
Thanks Flemur and Wharfrat for your time and quick responses and apologies for any mis-terminolgies!
FF

Return to “Beginner Questions”