Oracle JDK 8 .jar file does nothing

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ameen

Re: Oracle JDK 8 .jar file does nothing

Post by Ameen »

So can I customize Xfce because I don't like the looks of it by looking at pics?
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Yes, definitely. :) I like Manjaro's Xfce style, for instance, so I use the Vertex Maia icon set and change the system theme to a darker theme (I don't remember exactly what I've done in the past, though).
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ameen",

All Linux Mint systems can be customized. IMHO KDE is the most customizable.

They are all different in their own way, but adding software is pretty much the same and console terminal commands are pretty much the same.

Like I said before, try them for a little while and see for yourself. I do not know why you are having download issues, try rebooting, then re-trying your downloads. It could be that the Linux Mirrors are congested on Friday night, try waiting for a 1/2 hr or so and try again.?

I just downloaded Linux Mint 18.3 Xfce 64-bit using my browser (Slimjet) and one of the Linux Mint mirror links and it worked well. FYI: I usually use the torrent link.

My screenshot is from my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 system.
LinuxMint-Download2sm.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

So how do I get that theme I just tried xfce and it seems fast enough, now to try Mate.
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

Just ran into a problem the Java file locks after the first file even with xfce.
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

I just had an annoying problem I installed Mint Mate on the usb and after all was done it told me to take out the usb and pressed enter, now it is stuck on a black screen with a message saying error -22 and looking for some sort of file file which it had lost. Any ideas, should I reinstall?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ameen",

What exactly does this mean? Did you create a bootable USB stick of the Live "test drive" installation version of Linux Mint from the iso file or did you actually install Linux Mint Mate to another USB stick of 16gb or larger?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ameen",

Well, how did you do installing Linux Mint Mate?

After spending an incredible amount of time on this, here are my final conclusions on playing these esoteric outdated MHT files.

FYI: Most Java applications work perfectly well in Linux, but that depends upon the application and the developers.

Just for the sake of it, I created a USB stick of Linux Mint Xfce 18.3 (64-bit) with "persistence" and I had to install the multimedia codecs, the updates, etc... Java and related Java apps. And although this jadpcm.jar java app came up, I could not get it to play all the tracks, it did stick on some tracks and I had to force close that app?

I still like Cinnamon, Mate, and KDE more than Xfce.

I also noticed that this particular Java app showed more options at the bottom in higher screen resolution than my 1440x900 small widescreen monitor showed. I changed the resolution to a non-widescreen higher one, and a couple other options like a save (export) option showed up, that is usually due to the developer not controlling the screen well?

I tried adding the one "ADPCM-XQ Xtreme Quality ADPCM Encoder/Decoder" from the one link I gave you, and I could not get that to work.

Then, I thought maybe the "aplay" console terminal application (usually already installed) might work. It did play the entire MHT file, but it sounded off-speed and loud. Type "aplay -h" and "man aplay" for help options. Perhaps one of Aplay's options will work, but you would have to experiment with them. This included MHT test file has over 200 sub tracks with varying sound track speeds (rates) too?

Code: Select all

aplay p071pf3_sd70ace_up070604afin.mth
In my Linux Mint KDE 18.2 system, I have a lot of multimedia applications installed, and both Oracle Java and OpenJDK Java. And this Java app can play each track and save them, which seems to export them to a pcm file, but this one test MHT file has over 200 small sound tracks which would be tedious to save/export one at a time.

From what I read from your links and mine, there is a MS Windows utility application (.exe) that might work under Linux Wine or Virtualbox with MS Windows installed in that.

From what I have read this MHT seems to be for model trains and some hardware interface device which can decode the sound files?

Why do you want to use the "jadpcm.jar" java app for?

Good Luck ...
Ameen

Post by Ameen »

Hello phd21,

Thanks for checking on me, turns out I had a minor problem that was common for the bios firmware I am using, other than that I am now running MATE and it is great! Definitely faster than Cinnamon! :mrgreen: Don't worry I tried Xfce for a few minutes and hated it, I will never hopefully have to use Xfce. :shock: As for the aplay, it looks like an explorable choice, and I will look into it. Yes, your guess is right the software, and sounds are for MTH (Mikes Train House) engines, the engines are equipped with some very incredible hardware that makes them run like the real thing, the processor inside can decode the sounds and play them. To answer your question I use the "jadpcm.jar" to listen to the sounds before uploading them into the engine because the time it takes to listen to them through the "jadpcm.jar" is shorter than all the uploading work needed to play them through the engine itself. If you want to see some just search up something like O scale MTH engine or even maybe even this: https://youtu.be/3XZS5yCjgKE?t=209https ... jgKE?t=209 (the link will skip the all the tedious explanations.) You can always recomment if you want more info on these models. Anyway thanks for checking on me again, I am sure one day you're going to encounter one of these models in real life and you will see they are beautiful things. :wink:

Thanks,
Ameen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ameen",

You are welcome again...

I like trains, including these real life type model trains. It is too bad they do not use newer more common sound file formats, like mp3, etc... At least you can use the "jadpcm.jar" application to listen to them.

Regards,
Phil
jaymot

Post by jaymot »

phd21, thanks for the instructions for installing Oracle ("Orrible") Java 8 and 9. I have an app that I'm alpha-testing that won't run with OpenJava and have been unable to use it since installing Mint, up until now. I followed your instructions, installed Java 8 and set it to the default JRE and I'm in business again. :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”