LinuxMint 18 on 2006 Macbook Pro

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
macjardine
Level 1
Level 1

LinuxMint 18 on 2006 Macbook Pro

Post by macjardine » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:29 pm

I have been running a computer repair class. All the students got to take home a working laptop running Linux Mint 18. It worked fine for everyone. :D

I decided to install it at home. I have a 2006 Macbook Pro running OSX 10.6 and Ubuntu 16.04.

I booted from the Linux Mint 18 Live USB. All good. I went to install and it did not read the file system correctly so I clicked 'go back'.

Unfortunately it must have written something to disk because I rebooted and I now get 'Entering grub rescue mode...'. It previously booted straight into Refit.

I don't mind losing OSX but the disk drive is broken so I need to boot something from USB. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Conal

macjardine
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LinuxMint 18 on 2006 Macbook Pro

Post by macjardine » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Sorry I mean the CD/DVD drive is broken!

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Post by fabien85 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:24 am

Just to check : you used a 32-bit live USB, right ?
The machine is 32-bit following this page : https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macb ... _1.67.html

Boot pressing the Alt/Option key. This should give you an option to boot macOS.
There, download refind, the successor of refit, and install it with the macOS instructions.

That should get you back working.

For installing Mint, I dont know what you mean exactly by "it did not read the file system correctly".
What you can do, when booted on the live USB, is to launch gparted and see whether you drive is correctly recognised and everything, before launching the installer.
Also, since you already have refit/refind, you can tell the installer not to install a bootloader : launch the installer from the terminal with ubiquity -b

macjardine
Level 1
Level 1

Post by macjardine » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I used the 32 bit image, and sorry what I meant was that the installer could not see all of the partitions (with different file systems) that I had on the internal hard drive.

I am trying your suggestions and will get back to you when one works. The option key just gives me one choice: windows, which is not installed (though it might be finding the fat32 partition I was using for shared files.

I might try creating an external OSX 10.6 USB drive to trouble shoot, hopefully it will see that (I can't see the Linux Mint one after holding down the option key).

Thanks again.

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Post by fabien85 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 am

Hum, if you have no macOS entry when booting pressing alt/option, I am afraid that you macOS partition may have been broken.
One way to troubleshoot is indeed to use an external macOS drive. Another is to burn a refind USB drive and see whether refind finds any bootable system ; see here the link "A USB flash drive image file".

Did you use bootcamp when you first set up your dual boot mac/ubuntu ?
If so, it's quite possible that you are falling into the problem of the hybrid MBR, that macOS puts in place when using bootcamp.
You can check with gdisk : from a terminal issue sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda (the option -l is a lowercase L)
If you have a hybrid MBR, that's a probable culprit for why the partitions are not recognised correctly.

Return to “Newbie Questions”