Installation of Total Commander in Wine

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mint1248
Level 1
Level 1

Installation of Total Commander in Wine

Post by mint1248 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:54 pm

How to install Total Commander via Wine?

mint1248
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installation of Total Commander in Wine

Post by mint1248 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Well, I found out how to install it - but not to show that I have a registered version. I wonder how to make it "registered" in Linux Mint - so I can use my settings...

karlchen
Level 18
Level 18

Post by karlchen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:12 pm

Hello, mint1248.
mint1248 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:14 pm
I wonder how to make it "registered" in Linux Mint - so I can use my settings...
Total Commander will save your settings, irrespective of your registration status.
In order to make Total Commander display your license key and that it is a registered version, you proceed in exactly the same way as on Windows:
You copy the wincmd.key file to the folder %COMMANDER_PATH%, i.e. the folder where totalcmd.exe lives, and restart Total Commander.
This is how I have done it on each Linux Mint system. And it has always worked.

By the way: welcome to the club of Total Commander fans, who cannot do without it even on Linux.

Best regards,
Karl
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:51 pm

why would you use total commander/wine when there are other commanders made the same way for linux. and if you know how to use it in windows someone should not have to tell you about wincmd.key

mint1248
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mint1248 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Also I also wanted to import the settings. I am not sure if that is possible in Linux?

karlchen
Level 18
Level 18

Post by karlchen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:08 pm

Hi, trytip.
trytip wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:51 pm
why would you use total commander/wine when there are other commanders made the same way for linux.
To state quite bluntly:
None of the genuine Linux two-panel file-managers offer all of the features, which can be found in Total Commander.
Not even Krusader comes near Total Commander.
(No need to suggest to me still unfinished file-managers like Double Commander or file-managers offering only extremely basic features like Gnome Commander, xfe or the like.)

Of course, I would prefer using a genuine Linux two-panel file-manager. There are limits to a file-manager running under Wine. So using T.C. under Wine for my everday work is a compromise, but a compromise which permits me to do my work more conveniently than would be possible even using Krusader. And Krusader still is what comes closest to T.C., but not close enough by a long distance.

Cheers,
Karl
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.

mint1248
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mint1248 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:16 pm

karlchen wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:12 pm
Hello, mint1248.
mint1248 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:14 pm
I wonder how to make it "registered" in Linux Mint - so I can use my settings...
Total Commander will save your settings, irrespective of your registration status.
In order to make Total Commander display your license key and that it is a registered version, you proceed in exactly the same way as on Windows:
You copy the wincmd.key file to the folder %COMMANDER_PATH%, i.e. the folder where totalcmd.exe lives, and restart Total Commander.
This is how I have done it on each Linux Mint system. And it has always worked.

By the way: welcome to the club of Total Commander fans, who cannot do without it even on Linux.

Best regards,
Karl
Thanks!
The %COMMANDER_PATH% you mention - is that still on the partition where TC is in Windows? Or is it on the partition with Mint? I suppose I also have to copy the file with the settings of TC (wincmd.ini as far as I remember) to the Mint partition?
Thank you for the welcome to the club of TC fans. I've been a fan of TC for many years (in Windows). So it would be nice to recreate the look and feel also of TC on Mint.

mint1248
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mint1248 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:30 pm

PS.
I found the place of TC on the Mint partition.
There is also a wincmd.ini
But only some of the settings are as they use to be in Windows.
Maybe I have installed the wrong version of TC through Wine - there are different versions mentioned, both 32 and 64 bit (I have both on Windows) and also different versions (latest is a beta version). So I am not sure how to proceed... (I am running Windows 7 and Mint 17.2).

absque fenestris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by absque fenestris » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:32 pm

This is really a fine software by Christian Ghisler - a big thank you to Mr. Ghisler for the Android version. Unfortunately, this is not available for the iPhone...
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)

karlchen
Level 18
Level 18

Post by karlchen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Hello, mint1248.

The environment variable %COMMANDER_PATH% is only available inside the running Total Commander instance. It will expand to the fully qualified pathname (in Windows notation) of the Total Commander programme folder.
You can e.g. enter cd %COMMANDER_PATH% in the T.C. commandline in order to switch to the T.C. programme folder.

Inside the running Total Commander instance, %COMMANDER_PATH% works on a genuine Windows system as well as on Linux under Wine.
Inside the running Total Commander instance, you can always find out where T.C. stores its INI files by going to Help => About Total Commander.

About the Total Commander version:
The most recent version is Total Commander 9.12. Cf. here: Total Commander Homepage. T.C. 9.12 runs fine on Mint 17.x / Mint 18.x and Wine here.
You can install T.C. 9.12 32-bit on Linux 64-bit. No issue.

HTH,
Karl

mint1248
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mint1248 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:50 pm

@Karlchen
Thank you very much!
I'll look at it tomorrow.
Best wishes.

karlchen
Level 18
Level 18

Post by karlchen » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Hello, mint1248.

You might like to read the Total Commander Wiki article on what all to backup when migrating your Total Commander configuration to a new system (Linux Mint with Wine in this case):
Total Commander - configuration - What to backup

Note:
On the Linux side, you may have to go through your (restored) wincmd.ini file and cleanup references to Windows software, which will not be present on the Linux Mint system.

Best regards,
Karl

mint1248
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mint1248 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:56 am

@Karlchen
Thanks! I'll do that. I have a multiboot system (meaning that Windows 7 is also on the computer), and Mint can access the documents etc. there. Sometimes you need to e.g. copy a document from Windows to Linux. (I also have a partition with Q4OS 'Scorpion' and plan to try to put TC there also).

Hoser Rob
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:48 am

karlchen wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:08 pm
... None of the genuine Linux two-panel file-managers offer all of the features, which can be found in Total Commander.
Not even Krusader comes near Total Commander.
(No need to suggest to me still unfinished file-managers like Double Commander or file-managers offering only extremely basic features like Gnome Commander, xfe or the like.)...
So I should use Wine, which is a stuipid hack and certainly not reliable, to run something that has such an important system function? Sounds completely daft to me.

karlchen
Level 18
Level 18

Post by karlchen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:54 am

Hi, Hoser Rob.
Hoser Rob wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:48 am
So I should use Wine [...]
No. You are absolutely free to decide not to do so.
To cling to Total Commander running on Wine under Linux Mint and Ubuntu, this is my personal decision.

Karl

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 pm

i was a total commander user since early 2000 i still use it in all my windows, but never thought of using it in linux. i guess with wine it's a hit or miss. for some reason the epsxe playstation emulator works better in .wine than the linux version
in every install i would add total commander to the context menu. i'd create blank text name it something _TOTAL COMMANDER 64.reg

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\_TOTAL COMMANDER 64]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\_TOTAL COMMANDER 64\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\totalcmd\\TOTALCMD64.EXE\" \"/Browse\" \"%L\""
of course if it's 32bit you may need to edit the registry key or registry itself. once saved it can be run doubleclick it and it will merge with the registry

mint1248
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mint1248 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:43 pm

@karlchen
Managed to install TC in Wine on Mint, and move the wincmd.key and wincmd.ini to the right place (wincmd.key has to be the same place as wincmd.ini - which as you said could be found in Help - about).
The cd %COMMAND_PATH% didn't work but it was not necessary either. Edit: Sorry I think it worked - but it was already set to c:\totalcmd - so I saw no change! :D It works in Q4OS (Scorpion) where I have just installed TC in Wine there. Works beautifully!
Thanks for the help!
:D

Return to “Newbie Questions”