Can I safely remove GIMP and install the latest Flatpack version?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Amandaville
Level 2
Level 2

Can I safely remove GIMP and install the latest Flatpack version?

Post by Amandaville » Thu May 24, 2018 5:29 pm

I was about to remove GIMP 2.8.16 that comes by default in LM 18.3 since it is 2 1/2 years old and it crashes every time I try to copy and paste an image into a new layer (a frequent part of my workflow). I was going to install the latest version 2.10.2 that is available as a Flatpack. However I noticed that there are a large number of reverse dependencies in the currently installed version, including cinnamon-desktop-environment. That was enough to stop me in my tracks. Will I break LM 18.3 Cinnamon?

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Can I safely remove GIMP and install the latest Flatpack version?

Post by MintBean » Thu May 24, 2018 5:48 pm

I don't know the answer to your question, but interestingly cinnamon-desktop-environment is not installed on my perfectly well running Mint 18.3 Cinnamon OS, and presumably never was. Same goes for 'Cinnamon-core.'

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Thu May 24, 2018 5:51 pm

",,,will I break LM 18.3 Cinnamon..." It's not supposed to. A FlatPack application brings everything it depends upon with it (so each one is quite large) and keeps it separated from the 'real' OS binaries.

You don't really need to remove the OS version first. Although Gimp is something I never use, it's no bigger than a web browser...
The following packages will be REMOVED: gimp* gimp-data*. After this operation, 64.3 MB disk space will be freed.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Fri May 25, 2018 6:38 am

you should be able to safely remove:
- Gimp
- gimp-data
via Package Manager AKA synaptic

you can then check what Flatpak program(s) are installed, if any:

Code: Select all

flatpak list
assuming that you do have Flatpak installed - that is.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

InkedAZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by InkedAZ » Fri May 25, 2018 7:43 am

I recently switched back to Linux Mint (18.3) Cinnamon and I uninstalled the pre-installed Gimp (through Software Manager) and installed the Flatpak one. I've had no problems. I don't know if it had to leave some dependencies behind or not but Cinnamon still works and I have the new Gimp.

Return to “Newbie Questions”