(solved) timeshift and backup tool in LinuxMint 18.3

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
getaway
Level 2
Level 2

(solved) timeshift and backup tool in LinuxMint 18.3

Post by getaway » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:52 am

Hello

I just don't understand why timeshift is said not to include users files in its snapshots .
If I put my home directory in the Timeshift "users" parameters,(with may be some filters such as home/me/video/***), I think I have the means for a scheduled differential backup of my own files.
So I assume that I don't need to make a regular backup of all my own files whith the back up tool.
What is wrong with that????

Furthermore, can I assume that a new Timeshift snapshot save the files corresponding to newly installed applications?

Thank you for paying attention to these maybe trivial questions.
Last edited by getaway on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linuxmint Cinnamon Sylvia 18.3 64 bits
Asus X200MA and UX430U

greerd
Level 5
Level 5

Re: timeshift and backup tool in LinuxMint 18.3

Post by greerd » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:22 am

The default config is to not save the users files, but you can if you want to. From github-teejee
Timeshift is similar to applications like rsnapshot, BackInTime and TimeVault but with different goals. It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. This ensures that your files remains unchanged when you restore your system to an earlier date. If you need a tool to backup your documents and files please take a look at the excellent BackInTime application which is more configurable and provides options for saving user files.
So a borked update might not show until a reboot, using the default config will not remove any work you've done in the mean time.

getaway
Level 2
Level 2

Re: timeshift and backup tool in LinuxMint 18.3

Post by getaway » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:29 pm

Thank you greerd for your answer. Yes, I understand that it makes sense to separate backups system and users files.
Cheers
Linuxmint Cinnamon Sylvia 18.3 64 bits
Asus X200MA and UX430U

Return to “Newbie Questions”