Mint 19 Question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tho9504
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19 Question

Post by tho9504 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:23 pm

I am currently using 18.3 and everything works great. I want to maybe update to 19 sometime in the future but i noticed that in Mint 19, the update manager does not have the numerical system (lack of better term :)) In 18.3, i only update level 1 and 2. But those levels are not in version 19. How are noobs like me supposed to know which updates are risk free (ex. level 1 & 2 updates) and which ones might break my system?

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 19 Question

Post by Mattyboy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 pm

From what I gather the update manager is going to 'make that decision for you' if you choose that option... but not in a Windows 10 'you will if you like it or not' way :lol: You can still choose not to install certain updates if you know it'll break something..... fyi, I've always updated everything since I started using Mint and have never had an issue once ( not true on beta versions, hey its a beta!! :D )

The main thing here to really 'worry' about will probably be kernel updates as those are the most likely thing that will break your system. So understanding how to selective boot an earlier kernel from the grub menu and how to remove them using the update manager should be a priority thing to learn, but stick with the LTS kernel and you should be fine.

Timeshift is now a 'critical part' of the 'update' strategy so setting that up should also be on you list of 'things to do', it will push you in that direction.

I think efforts regarding updates have been simplified on purpose for newcomers.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 pm

The update manager in LM19 DOES have the same numerical system you are accustomed to but it is not enabled by default. You can easily enable it and you can easily configure Mint Update in LM19 to work the same as the Mint Update you are accustomed to in LM18.x.

Pjotr has produced a nice little article about the new update manager HERE. Read and enjoy!

Best,

- R -
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM17C64 on my production machines.
Currently testing LM19C64 - Lookin' good so far!
Image Image

gm10
Level 11
Level 11

Post by gm10 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:24 pm

Menu View > Visible Columns > Levels

The idea with hiding it by default is that with the aforementioned Timeshift there is a stable solution for automated system snapshots that allow fairly easy rolling back of a rare problematic update. No software is ever guaranteed to be risk/bug free (regardless of the "level"), but updates are provided to improve your system, so it's generally a good idea to apply them all.
Last edited by gm10 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm

I actually liked the old update system as kernel updates could occasionally bork your system and it was set conservatively by default. I am glad to hear it can be re-enabled. I'm Leary of so much weight being put on Timeshift as there are too many instances where it simply will not work, such as dual booting. But good that we have options with Mint, most distros don't offer such options.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 am

KBD47 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm
such as dual booting.
My dual boot works fine with a timeshift partition. Question is can/do 'newbies' know how to set up the required partitions from the get go to get it all workings with that 'other' OS? :lol:

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:54 am

KBD47 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:49 pm
I actually liked the old update system as kernel updates could occasionally bork your system and it was set conservatively by default. I am glad to hear it can be re-enabled. I'm Leary of so much weight being put on Timeshift as there are too many instances where it simply will not work, such as dual booting. But good that we have options with Mint, most distros don't offer such options.
It's a beta release, which is why the update policy is different. Betas have a TON of updates and it's even more likely for updates to break things. But they're necessary in beta releases, they make no sense otherwise.

Beta releases are not supported, by definition. Do not expect them to work as well as well as stables. Ubuntu actively discourages beginners from installing beta OS releases, with good reason. But I guess they have a lot more expert users who can properly test them.

Ozo
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Ozo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:53 am

Mattyboy wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 pm
I've always updated everything since I started using Mint and have never had an issue once ( not true on beta versions, hey its a beta!! :D )
I have loaded all updates offrered in 19beta Cinnamon with no problems. :) And 19beta seems to work as good as 18.3 but then I have a very simple setup. I know it loaded better and with the Torrent was extremely fast to load. For me at least initial startup (boot+) is half the time it took for 18.3. 19 in its current state is better (for me) than 18.3.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:07 am

Ozo wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:53 am

I have loaded all updates offrered in 19beta Cinnamon with no problems. :) And 19beta seems to work as good as 18.3 but then I have a very simple setup. I know it loaded better and with the Torrent was extremely fast to load.
Yeah its been pretty good. I had problems with crontabs and debi package installer ( both fixed ) there is an issue at the moment with the hosts file if you re-direct back to home ( search my posts )... but no deal breakers here, its very stable ( Cinnamon ) a good beta version.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:19 pm

Hoser Rob wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:54 am

It's a beta release, which is why the update policy is different. Betas have a TON of updates and it's even more likely for updates to break things. But they're necessary in beta releases, they make no sense otherwise.

Beta releases are not supported, by definition. Do not expect them to work as well as well as stables. Ubuntu actively discourages beginners from installing beta OS releases, with good reason. But I guess they have a lot more expert users who can properly test them.
Not expecting a beta to be the same as a stable release, but Mint 19 will have the new update policy, which relies mostly on back ups, instead of the default settings which were more conservative on Mint 18.
And yes, running a beta All Updates should be applied until the final release.

greerd
Level 5
Level 5

Post by greerd » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:30 pm

Looks like the update policy is the new way of doing business, from New features in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon
Update Manager

The Update Manager no longer promotes vigilance and selective updates. It relies on Timeshift to guarantee the stability of your system and suggests to apply all available updates.
Cheers

Return to “Newbie Questions”