Facility to downgrade from Mint 19 to 18.3?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mihi_dase
Level 1
Level 1

Facility to downgrade from Mint 19 to 18.3?

Post by mihi_dase » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Hello Peeps,
Being a relative novice in Linux Mint, the 18.3 worked wonderfully in dual boot with Windows 10 until my Laptop's hard drive crashed.
Ever since I have installed LM 19, have been facing one issue after another.
In fact problems seems to crop up every now and then.
Is it possible to downgrade to 18.3 without losing personal data?

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Facility to downgrade from Mint 19 to 18.3?

Post by gm10 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Backup your data, clean install 18.3.

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:51 pm

If you originally had a separate /home partition in 19, then yes, you can run the installation for 18.3 and assign the original 19 /home partition to 18.3. You must make sure that the checkbox to format the partition is NOT checked. That will install the 18.3 OS but just use the /home partition.

As always, backup your personal data before doing this. Did I mention always backup? :lol:
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

tgwilt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tgwilt » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:09 pm

I seem to recall that if you open the menu, there is an application named Backup Tool. You can use this to backup your home directory. If you have an external hard drive or a USB stick with enough space, just copy your important files over to that device. I have installed Mint many times, just because I like doing that kind of thing. Timeshift hasn't always worked for me, and I am trying a different solution called aptik. Hope all goes well with your adventure.

Tom

Return to “Newbie Questions”