Formating USB - SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bushyiii
Level 2
Level 2

Formating USB - SOLVED

Post by bushyiii » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:54 pm

So I play around with flash drives, trying different linux distros.

One of the things that confuses me is why after I reformat a flash drive it seems to be owned by root and I cannot use it until I chown it. I have tried many different ways to reformat the drives and always the same result, whether using dd, or disks utility, or gparted, there's no difference.

Am I missing something or is the way it has to be?
Last edited by bushyiii on Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZgl1500
Level 8
Level 8
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: Formating USB

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 am

I got pissed off with that problem,

and I used Gparted to unmount it, then delete all the partitions, and then format it to FAT32

worked for me.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:02 am

"...the way it has to be..." A new Linux file system will be marked as 'owned by root' as the only user that's guaranteed to exist on any Linux system.

"...many different ways..." The Mint accessory USB Stick Formatter makes the new file-system and changes the ownership to that of the user doing the format.
Data stored in an encrypted volume will only be accessible with the original password. Without this key, all the data will remain scrambled beyond hope of recovery.

bushyiii
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bushyiii » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:12 am

Thanks for that piece of information, don't know why I never tried that option (USB Stick Formatter) but sure will going forward.

Return to “Newbie Questions”