Solved Mint 19 mate keyring

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jammer5
Level 1
Level 1

Solved Mint 19 mate keyring

Post by jammer5 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:30 am

I keep getting the keyring login every time I open chromium. I've done everything as far as opening passwords and keys, and changing passwords by leaving the window blank. I've done this on other mint editions and it's always worked. I even went so far as to uninstall/reinstall seahorse, but the login still pops up. It's rather frustrating as having to log in on my home computer every time I open chromium seems ridiculous. I reboot every time I do the change. Help!!

When I first opened passwords and keys, there was on left

certificates
system tools
pgp keys
gnupg keys
secure shell
open ssh keys

On right: a + key

I click plus and a group of names pop up, one being password keyrings. I click on that and enter a name, and click ok. Next window I leave blank and click ok, a box opens telling me my stored passwords will no be encrypted. I click okay, close it down and reboot. Still get login.
Last edited by jammer5 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 19 mate keyring

Post by Terryphi » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:42 am

I solved the issue this way:
Created new file /home/[my user name]/.chromium-browser.init with this content:

Code: Select all

# Options to pass to chromium-browser
CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--password-store=basic"
Warning: use of this means any passwords will be saved in plain text - not an issue if no important passwords are saved ( and you do not use same passwords elsewhere.)
Version: LM 19 64bit Mate

jammer5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jammer5 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am

I don't know how to do that. I tried enter it, using my user name. hit enter and got No such file or directory

I'm not too good at this, so forgive me - still learning.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:21 am

jammer5 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am

I don't know how to do that. I tried enter it, using my user name. hit enter and got No such file or directory

The simplest way is probably just to find Chromium in the menu, right click and select Properties, then add the --password-store=basic parameter at the end of the command line there.

If it currently says

chromium-browser %U
then you would change it to say

chromium-browser %U --password-store=basic
Note that all your currently stored passwords will become unavailable to you that way. If you want to keep your passwords, then I believe there's only the second way I suggest in my post here: viewtopic.php?p=1487515#p1487515 -- do take note of the downside to that approach that I mentioned there though.
Last edited by gm10 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

srq2625
Level 4
Level 4

Post by srq2625 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 am

jammer5 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:56 am

Try this to create the file:

touch /home/[my user name]/.chromium-browser.init
This will create an empty file. Next step would be to open that file in the text editor of your choice, enter the text indicated, and save the file.

Of course, you could just open a text editor, fill it with the above indicated content and save it to the filename indicated. The text editor will create the file, if it does not already exist, or warn you if it does exist.

jammer5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jammer5 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am

arrrggg . . . frustrating morning. did - The simplest way is probably just to find Chromium in the menu, right click and select Properties, then add the --password-store=basic parameter at the end of the command line there. - exactly as posted and rebooted. Checked properties and line was there as you suggested. Still login box pops up.

Next, did - touch /home/[my user name]/.chromium-browser.init [my user name]. got - my user name@my user name: -$

I assumed the file was created. I opened text editor and couldn't find it.

I'm going to try something else. Okay, that didn't work. I installed mint 19 mate on another hard drive, had the same thing pop up, went through the seahorse fix and it worked. Not on this one, and everything's up to date.
Last edited by jammer5 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:29 am

jammer5 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am
arrrggg . . . frustrating morning. did - The simplest way is probably just to find Chromium in the menu, right click and select Properties, then add the --password-store=basic parameter at the end of the command line there. - exactly as posted and rebooted. Checked properties and line was there as you suggested. Still login box pops up.
You don't need to reboot, the changes are instant. In case you made a mistake, verify it looks like this:
chromium-password-basic.png

jammer5
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jammer5 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 am

It looks exactly like that.

gm10
Level 13
Level 13

Post by gm10 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:59 am

jammer5 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:32 am
It looks exactly like that.
Weird, I tried and it works fine here. Then use the settings file that Terryphi suggested instead, you can create that like this (run this in a terminal window):

echo 'CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--password-store=basic"' > ~/.chromium-browser.init

jammer5
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19 mate keyring solved

Post by jammer5 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:33 am

Replaced the command line with: echo 'CHROMIUM_FLAGS="--password-store=basic"' > ~/.chromium-browser.init
It worked. Many thanks to you all. I'm getting up in years and the thinker gets stuck sometimes. I used to do timer-control logic and wrote programs for the first A/B 100 PLCs, that's how far I go back, so you all have been excellent to this old fart.

Return to “Newbie Questions”