a couple newbie questions (solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Ted3658
Level 1
Level 1

a couple newbie questions (solved)

Post by Ted3658 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:46 pm

I just got my first linux computer, and I was hoping to make it more than 3 hours before having to ask my first newbie question, but no such luck.

Two questions:
1: My computer has a 256 SSD drive as the boot drive, and a 4tb drive as the 'data' drive. I would like to make a folder on that 4tb drive and call it "Data", (the same that has been on all my windows pc's since 3.1). My problem is I can't figure out how to create that. If I look at my Files app I can see lots of folders such as Home, Desktop, Documents, etc. but if I do properties on all of them it tells me they only have 92gb free, so I assume they are pointing to my SSD.

If I click on the File System option the only folder I see there that shows 3.6tb free is the Run folder, so at least I assume it's pointing to the HDD. The problem is that folder looks "system-ish" and i'm not sure I want to create a Data folder under that.

How do I create a folder off the root of (whatever the HDD is called)? I read this post about auto-mounting it: https://supportcenter.secureserver.net/ ... uest/Index so I figure once I get it created I should be able to auto mount it.

Also, can I point my Documents folder to that new folder? I don't want any documents or downloads on the SSD, only on the HDD.

Question 2:
My company uses Citrix software, and I need to download the "Receiver" software and run it:
https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix ... atest.html

I get the option for either Debian, RPM, or Tarball packages. After reading a bunch of blogs I tried to do the Tarball packages. It download them, and then I extracted them, but when I try to run the setup file nothing happens. Am I doing that right?

Also, is there a way to force it to install to the HDD? 93gb isn't going to last long if I am installing apps there by default.

Thanks in advance for the help. Hopefully in the future I'll have learned enough about Linux that I'll be able to help newbies.
Ted
Last edited by Ted3658 on Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Re: a couple newbie questions

Post by gm10 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Welcome to Linux, you'll figure it out soon enough. ;)

1. Start the Disks tool from the Mint menu. There you can select your HDD and change the mount options, including the Mount Point (= the folder where it gets mounted). To borrow phd21's screenshot, here is how you get to those options:
Make sure that partition is set to be mounted at startup. You can mount it in any location you want, for example /mnt/Data, just type that into the Mount Point field.

You need to unmount and re-mount the partition (the square/triangle icon below the partition when you select it) for changes to the mount point to take effect, or just reboot.

1b. Yes, you can point your documents folder there. Since you didn't share your desktop environment I'll tell you how to do it in a terminal window. First we'll move your existing documents folder to the other partition. Assuming you did mount that one at /mnt/Data, here is the command:

Code: Select all

sudo mv ~/Documents/ /mnt/Data/
Next we'll create a link back to the original location:

ln -s /mnt/Data/Documents ~
If you chose a different mount point, adjust the commands accordingly.

2. Use the Debian package. You cannot choose where to install it, the location is pre-determined. You can, however, move the entire target location to the other disk similar to what we did with the documents folder above. 93 GB is a lot of space though if you're planning on keeping your data on the other partition, you won't run out anytime soon, so I'd say to leave it alone for now. You'll want your programs to benefit from the SSD's speed to have them start faster.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:21 pm

As far as 1.) I had the same exact question - here is an easy step by step How To that I got that works well
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=181179

Ted3658
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ted3658 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:33 pm

GM10, thanks for the reply.

I had looked at the disks utility, but wasn't able to figure anything out from it. When I look at it all I see is this:
(lol, I'm not sure if I'm pasting in the screenshots right so I'll do it a 2nd time:
[img]file:///home/ted/Pictures/4.0%20TB%20Hard%20Disk_001.png[/img]
file:///home/ted/Pictures/4.0%20TB%20Hard%20Disk_001.png

Anyway, when I click on the little gear icon the only options I get are to Format Partition, Create Partition Image, Restore Partition Image, and Benchmark Partition. None of those sounded like what I wanted to do. I don't get any option to edit the mount options.

I'd have no problems blowing away the whole 4tb disk, but I don't know what is in the /run folder. Is that a standard system folder? I tried googling "linux mint /run folder" and a couple similar and couldn't find anything on it, (run is too generic a name). It's got a lot of folders that look important, so I don't want to select Format Partition unless I REALLY know what I am doing, (which I don't).

Thanks again for your help.
Ted

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:09 pm

I'd mount /home on that HDD and leave SSD for system use. Your SSD is big enough for system, this answers your other question in the other thread, too. To move your /home to HDD you need to log off as user, switch over to console and perform this operation as root. Edit fstab, mount your HDD at a temporary mount point, move your user(s) home directory(ies), unmount and mount the HDD at mount point /home.

gm10
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gm10 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 pm

Ted3658 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:33 pm
Anyway, when I click on the little gear icon the only options I get are to Format Partition, Create Partition Image, Restore Partition Image, and Benchmark Partition. None of those sounded like what I wanted to do. I don't get any option to edit the mount options.
Is it possible you didn't format that disk/partition yet? That's the only reason I can see why you wouldn't see the mount option (you cannot mount an un-formatted partition). To add a screenshot, either upload it as an attachment to your post (see the Attachments option below the text entry field) or upload it to an external site like imgur.com and link it here.

Ignore /run, that's a special system folder where a ram disk is mounted.

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 pm

To illustrate my suggestion, here is data from one of my computers. Root filesystem is on sda2, it is on a M.2 device, total 64 GB, EFI partition is sda1, not mounted for normal operation (I mount it only for kernel upgrade). Then there is a 2 TB HDD as sdb, formatted with XFS, no partitions as the whole drive is mounted at /home.

~ $ mount | grep /dev/sd
/dev/sda2 on / type f2fs (rw,relatime,background_gc=on,discard,no_heap,user_xattr,inline_xattr,acl,inline_data,inline_dentry,flush_merge,extent_cache,mode=adaptive,active_logs=6,alloc_mode=default,fsync_mode=posix)
/dev/sdb on /home type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,logbufs=8,noquota)

Ted3658
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ted3658 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:57 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:14 pm
Ted3658 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:33 pm
Is it possible you didn't format that disk/partition yet?
LOL, duh. Yeah, that was it. I just assumed the company who sold me the computer would have formatted it. I just wish they would have put the /home on their to begin with.

Thanks for your help.

Ted

Ted3658
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ted3658 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 pm

AscLinux wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:22 pm
To illustrate my suggestion, here is data from one of my computers. Root filesystem is on sda2, it is on a M.2 device, total 64 GB, EFI partition is sda1, not mounted for normal operation (I mount it only for kernel upgrade). Then there is a 2 TB HDD as sdb, formatted with XFS, no partitions as the whole drive is mounted at /home.

~ $ mount | grep /dev/sd
/dev/sda2 on / type f2fs (rw,relatime,background_gc=on,discard,no_heap,user_xattr,inline_xattr,acl,inline_data,inline_dentry,flush_merge,extent_cache,mode=adaptive,active_logs=6,alloc_mode=default,fsync_mode=posix)
/dev/sdb on /home type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,logbufs=8,noquota)
I was googling for the way to do all this and found this link: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Parti ... ome/Moving

Does that look like the right steps and commands to do all of this? Bear in mind I know NOTHING about any of the stuff you are talking about. All I know is that if I screw up the fstab the computer stops working and I REALLY don't want that to happen.

Thanks for your help.

Ted

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 pm

Yes this tutorial will work, although it is not the most rational. But I do not want to confuse you with shortcuts, go ahead and follow it.

Ted3658
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ted3658 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 pm

Thanks.

I was reading one other version of how to do this, and when I scrolled down to the comments section there were comments in there from 2006, and that made me nervous that it wasn't correct any longer. This one was at least last edited in 2015, so I hope it's up to date. Plus I never know what is good across all linux versions, vs what is unique to each one.

Ted

Ted3658
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ted3658 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:37 pm

AscLinux wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 pm
Yes this tutorial will work, although it is not the most rational. But I do not want to confuse you with shortcuts, go ahead and follow it.
I'm trying to do the part where I update the fstab, and I'm getting an error that says:
** (xed:8688): WARNING **: 22:34:16.811: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-encoding not supported

when I do the blkid I get this:
/dev/sda2: UUID="0c2983a6-735c-4ea0-8166-8c5bbb9d8eb5" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="d002fcb7-8d3d-43d4-b33b-ddb0a6f7d0f1"

So here's the line I'm adding to the FSTAB file:
# /new data vol on /dev/sdb (format ext4)
UUID=5a4951a3-831b-4213-93da-ee291f8155b2 /media/home ext4 defaults 0 2

Do you see anything wrong with that command?

Thanks.
Ted

AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:30 am

I see no error, there is a warning but it can be ignored.
BTW, instead of PARTUUID you can temporarily use /dev/sdb, furthermore, you even do not need to put temporary mounts into fstab. A simple command mount /dev/sdb /<mountpoint> will do just well. Obviously, replace the placeholder <mountpoint> with real desired mountpint.

Ted3658
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ted3658 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:06 am

Thanks a lot for all the help. I was able to get /home moved over to the HDD.

Return to “Newbie Questions”