Downloading via mirrors vs Torrent: Which is best?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
maghdalenal
Level 1
Level 1

Downloading via mirrors vs Torrent: Which is best?

Post by maghdalenal » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:57 am

My next question is does anyone have any opinions about which is best, downloading the torrent version of Mint Mate and Cinnamon: Torrent or Mirror? I understand there can be errors or verifying issues with mirrors, but which is a better idea for a newbie, downloading the iso by torrent or mirror?

Also, if torrent, how do I do it? I have Windows 7 on my system now, with Deluge as a torrent application. How do I download it with the application? I'm totally confused here.

Thanks for all your help.

Maghdalena Logan

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Downloading via mirrors vs Torrent: Which is best?

Post by xenopeek » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:11 am

Personally I go for the torrent option if it is there because it will be faster for me. Also because download errors are detected by the torrent client while that is not the case for direct downloads through a web browser. Downloads can also be interrupted (or paused) and resumed at any later time without issue. Also not as trivial with direct downloads through web browsers.

On the download page you can probably just copy the location of the torrent link (right click on the torrent link and select that copy link location from the menu) and in Deluge start a new download and paste that link. I don't know how Deluge works but that's how Transmission works.

You can also download directly from a mirror geographically close to you and that should also be fast. Verifying the ISO file after downloading will also confirm no download errors occurred. Download errors are mostly an issue for slow or spotty internet connections.

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:08 am

I also use the torrent when it's available for reasons already pointed out by xenopeek plus I have a slower than normal Internet connection and torrent seems better for my situation. Good Luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

missmoondog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by missmoondog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:13 am

torrents are slower than molasses for me so i prefer the direct download. have NEVER had any kind of error when downloading anything, ever!

personally, can't stand downloading torrents of any kind anyway. always thought that was a stupid way to download things. that's just my opinion though. ;)

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:04 am

last year, on just the One ISO - - I've got errors on Both Direct Download & with the Torrent,,
& so, had to assume that the original ISO had issues, as the checksum, was wrong with both methods,
as the downloaded final ISO was always faulty & wouldn't install,, yet the Live Environment was fine. :?

the Torrent method, will only work well, if you can get enough seeders, for you to link to,
& if there is not enough seeders,, then an Direct Download is the better option.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Newbie Questions”