[SOLVED] Core i3 5th Gen Laptop Powerful Enough to Handle Cinammon Desktop?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
domba21

[SOLVED] Core i3 5th Gen Laptop Powerful Enough to Handle Cinammon Desktop?

Post by domba21 »

Hello, I read from several sources that Cinammon DE is relatively more resource intensive than any other desktop environment like MATE or XFCE. I just want to know if my current system will handle it without problem.

My current specifications
Core i3 5005u
4GB RAM DDR3L
Adata SP 550 SSD 240 GB SATA III.

I would expect Linux Mint 18.3 64 Bit have better (more responsive) than Windows 8.1 64 bit I'm currently using right now in this system. I would like to switch to mint after I graduate and I would use it as my main. If I need to run windows application, I would just use wine or another PC.

Does Cinammon desktop use less RAM than Windows 8.1? It would be great so I can have more free space for opening a web browser.

I consider Cinammon because it looks more Windows like and have larger forum support than MATE one and gets earlier updates.

https://itsfoss.com/best-linux-beginners/

The other reason that I want to use Cinammon because I assume that more users use Cinnamon than Mate so I will be able to get more help when I have a problem.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Core i3 5th Gen Laptop Powerful Enough to Handle Cinammon Desktop?

Post by JoeFootball »

domba21 wrote:Core i3 5005u
4GB RAM DDR3L
This looks good for Cinnamon. MATE or Xfce may provide better performance. Try each and see which best fits your preferences. All three are full-featured.

EDIT: Grammar corrected.

Joe
Last edited by JoeFootball on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by milon »

You'll be just fine with that system. I've ran Cinnamon on a much crappier system - an Intel Atom dual core with 4GB of DDR2 (I think). Not only did it handle it, it was much smoother than Windows 10, which should be comparable to Win 8. From my experience, all Linux Mint environments are FAR more responsive than recent M$ systems. (FYI, I didn't do any 3D/intensive gaming on the Atom. But that's a whole other issue anyway due to DirectX, drivers, etc..)

I've used both XFCE and Cinnamon, and both use much less RAM than Windows does.

And I thought that all Linux Mint updates rolled out together (excluding LMDE). Maybe I was mistaken though?
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Your laptop is much more powerful than most desktops a few years back. I am running 19.1 Cinnamon on old McBook 2.0 with old CPU's with 2GB ram and up 220GB SSD. they run much better than any Win 10 machines around. I am currently running Cinnamon in all but my tiniest laptops (32bit atom with 2 GB RAM and 16 GB SSD Dell 910) and those are running 19.1 XFCE 32 bit. (this one).
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Hi domba21,

You should download Mint 19.1 with the Cinnamon desktop, 64 bit version.

Since you have a dual core processor and 4 GB RAM, it will run perfectly fine.

To me, Mint 19 runs a little faster than 18, and you'll have full support through April 2023.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
domba21

Post by domba21 »

I read somewhere that Linux Mint 19.1 does force you to update like Windows. They didn't mention anything about 18.3

So it would not have performance issues for application that runs on WINE?
domba21

Post by domba21 »

JoeFootball wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:05 am
domba21 wrote:Core i3 5005u
4GB RAM DDR3L
This looks good for Cinnamon. MATE or Xfce may provide better performance. Try each and see which best fits your preferences. All three are full-featured.

EDIT: Grammar corrected.

Joe
I have tried MATE and use one on core 2 duo laptop processor with 2 GB RAM DDR2. I haven't tried XFCE. I know XFCE is light weight, my only concern is that I would get less frequent help when I ran into problems. I assume that more people use cinnamon right? What kind of problems that would be DE specific? Let's say that I found a solution on this forum, but the solutions applies to MATE or Cinnamon, Can I use those solutions even if it doesn't say that it will work on XFCE? I am new and still learning, That's why I bring up this question here.

At least it narrows down a bit. We can conclude that the integrated graphics card is powerful enough to handle Cinnamon without performance issues.
Thanks.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

domba21 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:00 am I read somewhere that Linux Mint 19.1 does force you to update like Windows.
That's not true and I'd be interested to see where the statement was made. Sounds like a misunderstanding.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
domba21

Post by domba21 »

Moem wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:27 am
1.PNG
domba21 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:00 am I read somewhere that Linux Mint 19.1 does force you to update like Windows.
That's not true and I'd be interested to see where the statement was made. Sounds like a misunderstanding.
https://www.slant.co/versus/17379/18538 ... linux-mint

CON Mint 19 forces unwanted updates
Since version 19 Mint adopted Windows 10's policy to force the user to install unwanted updates and even if the user deselects them and marks them not to be installed, they're still being installed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

domba21 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:38 am https://www.slant.co/versus/17379/18538 ... linux-mint

Since version 19 Mint adopted Windows 10's policy to force the user to install unwanted updates and even if the user deselects them and marks them not to be installed, they're still being installed.
Thanks! Yeah, looks like someone is misinformed. Too bad they are now spreading disinformation...

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
domba21

Post by domba21 »

Moem wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:41 am
domba21 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:38 am https://www.slant.co/versus/17379/18538 ... linux-mint

Thanks! Yeah, looks like someone is misinformed. Too bad they are now spreading disinformation...
I will consider it. Thanks.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

domba21 wrote:... I haven't tried XFCE. I know XFCE is light weight, my only concern is that I would get less frequent help when I ran into problems. I assume that more people use cinnamon right? What kind of problems that would be DE specific? Let's say that I found a solution on this forum, but the solutions applies to MATE or Cinnamon, Can I use those solutions even if it doesn't say that it will work on XFCE? ...
As to how many people use Cinnamon vs. MATE vs. Xfce, that depends. If you're speaking specific to the Linux Mint universe, I would guess that most people use Cinnamon, just because it's the "default", but there are many MATE and Xfce users as well. Speaking for myself, I use all three.

As to if all solutions to all problems are applicable to all three desktops, no, not all. Some solutions are indeed agnostic to whatever desktop environment. Some are specific to one.
domba21 wrote:... We can conclude that the integrated graphics card is powerful enough to handle Cinnamon without performance issues.
I don't know if you can reach that conclusion without trying it. :) But I'd like to think it should. My suggestion for your consideration is to try LM Cinnamon, either the 19.1 or 18.3 version, see how you like it. MATE and Xfce versions are there for you to try as well. I'm sure one will suit your personal preferences. And if you change you mind later, so be it. Just install a different one.

By the way, I'd have to agree with Moem on the other posts you made. Linux Mint does not force you to do that. There are non-default options that you can act upon if you want to, but nothing is forcing your hand to do so. I can tell you this, I wouldn't be here if that were the case. I'm not familiar with the website you cited, but I would encourage you to have a look as some more reputable reviews. But again, you're the best assessor of your own needs. Just try it and see for yourself.

Joe
domba21

Re: [SOLVED] Core i3 5th Gen Laptop Powerful Enough to Handle Cinammon Desktop?

Post by domba21 »

Thanks, Now I have Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon up and running in this system alongside Windows 10 32 Bit. I'm satisfied so far.

Return to “Beginner Questions”